My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 976 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Pulled the deck off the 265, sharpened blades, put it back together. Mowed most of my yard. I dumped 6 dump trailer loads of Oak saw logs over the hill in the back, just before the Covid stuff broke out. I've got half of it cut , split, and stacked. About 6-7 cord. Can't mow down there because still have logs in the way. That little 265 ceases to amaze me. Other than not having power steering it will hold it's own against the X540. Not sure why, but when my buddy bought the X540, they special ordered it with a 48" deck. Sure would like a 54".

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Today I'm going to start rounding up parts for the hood on my X540. Just a reminder, just because the wheels are turned to the right, it does not mean the tractor is going to turn to the right. I mentioned in another thread that I hit the go pedal and it lurched down and to the left and ran into my bumper on my brand new F150, about 5 feet away. Someone mentioned that the speed is in direct relation to how far you push the go pedal.Yep, I mashed that sucker flat to the floor. Might be a commercial lawn to a home owner lawn thing. I can't park the truck anywhere else. I mow between the truck and pole every week with my 52" walk behind. That day my walk behind was in the shop so I took my garage queen out. I now have that spot book marked as a go slow zone. But, in commercial work we don't try to see how slow we can go. Expensive mistake just to make money. Notice, I said mistake, and not accident. If you can avoid it, it's not an accident, all on me.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Not the hood on Amazon the X520 and X540 have a different hood with grill cut outs @ the top than X300 and X500's don't have
I decided to just order it from my dealer, his price was within pennies of the best price I saw on eBay. Ordered it Wednesday morning. This morning I was on my way to mow 3 lawns and they called to say the parts were in. I had to give them my credit card, then when I got there, they brought them out on a cart. I’ll have pics later, Joe.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Here's $578 of hood, and I missed the litle piece that goes under the grill. Took less than 2 hours. I was worried if the new hood is made of the same stuff as the old one, it would just crack to pieces in my hands. I did cheat and use my DeWalt nut driver. Just made sure not to take them all the way down tight. used an open end #10 to finish up.

Put the hinge on, was probably the hardest part.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
When I bought my 214, it was an auction buy, but to me it was new. The first morning I had it, I hooked up my Vermeer 630A stump grinder and ground out a couple stump. The 630’s were very top heavy. As I was pulling away from the hole, I looked back and the up hill tire on the grinder rolled up on a rock. In slow motion the tire started to lift off the ground, then the hitch started to bend, and flop, it flipped on its side. I was able to step off just as the tractor went over. I turned the engine off and pulled the hitch pin. My truck was right there, got a rope on the grinder and flipped it back up, and my phone rang. It was my cousin, I said hold on, I just flipped my new tractor over, and threw the phone on the ground. Got the rope on the tractor and flipped it back up. Hooked the grinder up and pulled back up on the flat part of the yard. Picked up the phone and started giving my cousin the details. My wife walked out the front door and asked what I was doing. “Just telling cousin Tommy about the new tractor”. I kind of whispered in the phone, “ I’m glad Carolyn didn’t see me flip the tractor over”. Then she looked back out the door and said, “ Don’t think I didn’t see that, if you don’t take care of my new tractor, I’m not going to let you use it!”

How do they always see us when we mess up, some times worse than others?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I had 2 110's and I thought because they had a top mounted fuel tank they were gravity feed, so I would guess the needle valve. But, my buddy just had a newer Kohler with a fuel pump and it was pumping fuel straight into the block. If the old Kohlers do have pumps, that would be the first thing I would looked at.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have a similar problem with my 7 acre field in WV, just abuse, not wet. My neighbor used to bale it but he passed away. The part I have managed to keep cut, the 265 can handle, but the rest is hood high. I have a Massey with a 6 ft bush hog but some thing in the clutch snapped and the pedal just flops up and down. Once I get all the tall stuff knocked down, the 265 will get it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
We have a friend that is a widowed farmer. She’s close to 70 and mowes her two acres around the stone farm house with an old 214. Not long after her husband passed she asked me to mow around her pond and the sides of her driveway, she was having family over and the grand kids wanted to fish. She’s also a flight attendant and had a couple international flights coming up. Her drive is over half a mile long. I was using the 265 then, put one rear wheel on the edge of the drive strattled the little six inch drainage ditch, and just zoomed down both sides easy peasy. Fast forward several years and she asked if I could mow the pond and drive again? That was last year. I took the 52” walk behind and planned on just zooming down the drive again. I got there and she had the drive resurfaced and I was like, great, this is going to go fast. Well the grass was like hay and I couldn’t see how deep the ditch was, but it was perfect for mowing the last time. I got started and my whole machine dropped into a three foot ditch. Turned out the paver cut new drainage ditches. Last week she threw the drive belt on the 214 and asked if I could do every thing for her. I said sure but I couldn’t do the ditches, but would get any mowable areas. Now I’m on the X540. Was trimming along a foot or two into the grass fine. There’s a little quarter acre meadow that looks nice when mowed, about half way down the drive. I tried blowing the grass away from the drive and it was too deep and thick to discharge. Turned around and blew the grass across the drive, but the mower would still clog making half a pass. Forget this, took the JD home and got the WB, it was mowing and discharging OK, but the deck seems to float easier than the JD. Went over one real thick patch and the deck lifted up enough to throw the deck belt. So, what I did was try and tear up $15,000 of machinery for a fifty dollar job mowing her drive. I’m going to have a real short talk with my friend. She is going to have to mow the pond and drive once a month or I can’t do it. On top of that, she leases the farm out to a cattle operation. When they come in to feed the cattle, if they see a big rock fell off the bank onto the drive, they do the nice thing and throw it in the weeds. Guess who took out at least one blade. I haven’t even looked at that yet.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Mowed 3 lawns, hit a big blue rock. One of my lawns is next to old farm land. It used to be plowed and planted in crops. Run off was never a problem. The farmers died, kids subdivided and sold. Now there are several 5-10 acre front yards that look look golf courses. The run off got so bad my customer had to put a berm, it was flooding her basement. Now the water gets diverted to the street and undermined her drive entrance, and started to under mine the road. County came out and did a good job fixing her drive, but where the water crosses under the road, they built a man made stream lined with giant blue stone. Chunks the size of cantaloupes. When we get a rain the water washes down so hard it just picks those stones up and drops them 50 yards down the road. Since it's always wet, the grass grows fast. Second time this year it washed a big chunk into the edge of her lawn, and I hit it. Just love changing blades.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I’m taking the new bush hog to WV tomorrow, might spend the night. Supposed to be 97*. Walmart had CCI standard velocity on sale for $3.47 a box, got ten boxes. Gonna take my 1919 NRA Match rifle up and do some plinking.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Got up to WV about 11AM yesterday and it was already too hot to shoot. We stuck the window unit in the bunk house and set it on 76. I pulled the 265 out of the barn and started mowing. I had to check my old texts to see when we ran the power from the pole to the new building. it was June 9th. While I was running the trencher, my nephew mowed the rifle range and field. That was the last time we mowed. I couldn't believe that the field grew up that fast. Most of it was higher than the rear tires and some was over the hood. Saw my neighbor going out Friday evening and he said there was a giant yard sale Sat morning. We were at the sale by 7AM, saw every thing, nothing worth buying, left at 8:30. Back to my place by 9AM and it was 90 already. Shot the 22 Match Rifle and a couple 22 pistols for about an hour and thought we were going to melt. Mowed a little more and called it quits. Packed up and headed home. The neighbors said they were going to have a big fire works display in my field this evening. I sure hope they don't burn down my brand new garage/bunk house.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Yep, this sounds quite likely (judging from the action and noise when going along). Fortunately, although I am a useless townie, I am well-placed, in the heartlands of UK agriculture, to find, either a local dealership, farm shop or helpful, mechanically minded person to help out. Might even get to fix the brakes and headlights while I am about it. We kept an absolutely ancient US Ford Ranger on the road for decades and sold it, in the end, to a film company who were looking for vintage vehicles which looked suitably battered and 'authentic'...don't think we could pull the same stunt with the JD though (and I tend to get attached to old heaps ) so not giving up on it just yet. Thanks for the advice and encouragement.
If you get attached to old heaps, I bet you would like to find this one in a barn. 1958, 50,000 miles, almost no rust. I put a picture of it on an English car site, a guy who grew up in the UK, moved to California in the 70's, saw the pic and tracked me down. His father was a Ford salesman and their very first car was a brand new 58 Zodiac. He said he had been looking for one for over 10 years. When I put mine on the English Ford Club of America Registry, they said there were only 8 of them known in the US in running condition. It now lives in California.

1 - 20 of 976 Posts