My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I’m a newbie an live in VT. Some really cool stuff in here and some awesome machines. Many of you out west probably get some good choices for older machines that are not full of holes. Out here buying anything made of metal can be problematic due to the climate.

For now I have a 97 GT275. Started out with a little LT155 when we first bought our house. My interests are slowly shifting from 90s VWs to JD machines.

I just picked up an enclosure from 96 for my GT for the winter. TY16188 in super condition. Found by chance on eBay for cheap and shipped it from Illinois. Put it on the other day to see what it was like. Incredibly solid. Was next to no info on them and pictures online were few and far between. Had to split it in two, replace some hardware. They are pretty heavy and awkward to handle.

I have the 42” snow thrower for it also which I’ll need to figure out how to put on.

·
Registered
174 Posts
WOW! That looks new! As a fellow New Englander, I get the awesomeness of such a rust free find. I was lucky to find an almost rust free cab for my 455 that was only a 6 hour drive away. Lol.

Welcome to the MTF, and beware.. this JD hobby is addicting!:tango_face_smile_bi

Thanks and yeah I’ve always loved JD stuff since I was a kid. Now I can actually own the grown up versions.

I really like the older 400 series machines. Maybe there is one in my future...

·
Registered
174 Posts
JDVT802: :Welcome1:

That cab is immaculate! That's commitment, taking delivery from so far away. Hope you got a smoking deal!

Mike

Well I paid $500 for the cab and from what I can tell that would have been a real good price 6-7 years ago. Freight was $330. Given its condition and completeness I’m not complaining. I think when the snows flying I’ll really be happy. I’d like to get the rear suitcase weight bracket for the GT. Doubtful I’d need it but it’s not about needs

My next chore with the cab will be installing some good LED lighting. Ive been looking around.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Took the cab off to mow the lawn. Takes about 10 mins with air tools.

Cleaning up the back corner of our property. Contemplating putting a shed back here. It’s nice to be able to take the deck off so quickly. Making good use of that 80 cart I bought. I love it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Was up at my parents today. Drove my moms X320 around a little. It’s quiet compared to my GT but I definitely prefer the older machines.

When I was a kid this was a hay field. An old farmer used to hay it with an ancient JD tractor with a sickle bar. That’s where my love of equipment and tractor stuff started. I used to ride around on the axle between the seat and wheel while he cut the hay (dangerous yes lol) My mom turned it into grass. Takes an hour and a half to mow with 54” deck...25 years later.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Finished up the blower. I think I did it right and used stainless hardware.

Then I cut up some dead stuff on side of our property with $50 Poulan from the 90’s I bought. Had to replace the fuel lines and that was about it. Thing works very good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Been sick last few days and had to get out of the house. Figured out how to put on the snow thrower. Pretty straight forward and was only missing one bolt!

I just wanted to make sure it was all set. Will remove it for a few more weeks. We have been known to get Nor’easters on Halloween...but unlikely.

I also got my 4 LED spotlights I ordered. Now I just need to figure out how to mount and wire them up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Alright everyone, when asked who started the weather changing we will know who caused it!!! :sidelaugh

Looks like it mounted up good!

I hope it does not snow anytime soon trust me. December 12th was first snow last year. Not too much. Christmas last year it was snowing real good...

Took the blower back off and put on cab. Pretty sure I won’t be mowing anymore seeing how it is supposed to get into the 30’s at night pretty soon.

Now I’m trying to figure out if I can just tie these lights into existing harness in the front of the machine. Not too thrilled about putting holes in top of the cab either...

Don’t mind putting holes in blower.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If your garage/shed door opens high enough, you'll want the lights on top of the cab, out of harm's way from deep snow and EOD mess. Maybe you can mount brackets for them through the sides rather than the top of the cab?

Mike

The garage opening is plenty tall but it’s more putting holes in top of cab. I didn’t really think about the side that would work as I could use one of the existing fastener holes to mount it and run the wiring through the door. I think I’ll try that out.

Does anyone have any experience with adding the LED lights into the existing harness? I figured just unplug the front headlights and plug the three LEDs right into existing harness plug end...so when I flip the headlight switch they come on. I’m not too good with wiring things though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've considered one of those cranes a a few dozen times, but I don't have a smooth enough surface anywhere I'd need to use the crane. I'd be more interested if I knew I could put larger diameter wheels on it to move over turf areas. I know it would sink in under load, but I could allow for that.

If your desperate 3/4 plywood always works. Not ideal but it does work well. I built an entire VW from a shell using that method on gravel before I had a garage years ago.

On another note I put in a new valve cover gasket on the Kawasaki and changed the oil. Air filter and fuel filter were fine so I left them alone. Next is to do the hydro fluid and filter which I got. Working on wiring my LEDs up for the cab also. Bought a small wiring kit then I have a bunch of spare wire laying around for the harness. Will be running 3 lights for a total of 81 watts. Got a kit for 150 watts so should work well.

After this is done I guess I’ll attach the blower again and wait for the snow!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did some yard clean up because

Also got the LEDs all wired up. Basically just need to wrap a few more parts put on the thrower and ready to roll for the season. The lights are quite bright so I think I’m going to be happy. Want to get a amber warning light for the top to tie into what I have now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
100% ready for winter. Let the snow fly! Got all the LEDs all situated and they work great.

Originally was going to keep the 275 here for the winter but cleaned out my shop area and put it there. Didn’t think it would fit through door with the cab but it did.

Been looking at 317 and 318s. I’m going to get one...and a front blade and tiller. Time will tell. I look all the time. I’d like to get one to completely restore ideally.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Extractors are a must have...especially in New England

She’s all ready. Hooked everything up and my lights didn’t work. Had to take part of harness apart and blower attachment wasn’t grounded so had to run another ground wire but it’s fixed and all buttoned up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thank you for the congrats, it is appreciated!! It's one of those things I am most proud of. I was on the wrong path in my life and came close to losing my wife and my daughter because of my addictions...… I got as close to the bottom of the barrel as I wanted to be and decided to make a phone call. Next day I was on a flight to SoCal and 2 months later I came home ready to start my life again. My daughter who is 12 now had never seen her daddy when he wasn't drinking or fall over drunk and I am happy to say we actually have a relationship now.

Green and yellow things are my new addiction......:tango_face_grin: I look at them as an investment and will always have more value than a trash bag full of empty beer cans.

Jared
Good for you. It makes total sense that hobbies help in this situation and I can relate very much. I've been sober since 2010 and to put it very mildly had some serious serious issues. Lots of legal stuff. I had definitely made it to the bottom of the barrel many times over. However, I too did something similar in the beginning with VW's which then turned into VW's and JD stuff, and now I am getting a Harley in March. I think keeping yourself busy and doing things you enjoy play a big part in it and also sharing this enjoyment with others. I also have worked in the substance abuse field for over 5 years (almost a clinician) now and it certainly sounds like you are doing something right so congratulations. I will also add that alcohol is the third leading preventable cause of death in the US....

It is tuff work but gets better and better the further you get from your old routines.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts