My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2020 John Deere e170, 48 inch Mower Deck, 44 inch Snow Blower
155 Posts
Imgur is down so I can't do pics of my new weights, but I can post the video of my pre snow trial. This was about a foot of hard packed snow from the county plow last week. I think it can handle anything we get tonight, Joe.
Impressive, I dont see any dirt or gravel out of the chute...I would have grass dirt and rocks and some snow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, that doesn't show much about tensioning at all, does it?

Mike
Yeah, I just bought what that girl in the video has...e170 and 44inch snowblower....I followed her and well lets say i could not match her.... My problem the dealer attached the blower lift handle/bar inside of blower springs...which is wrong but hey i kept looking at the girl vid and her bar is on the outside...after that change things worked. But did not notice adjustment for the belt...belt does fit loosely on but it easy to take off via pto.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The ones I have are very usable, but they are much like my chainsaws. With 70 chainsaws, you can only use so many. The Kelly Registered is a very collectible ax now. Right below where it says registered, is an engraved serial number, registering it to the original owner. They are over 100 years old. The one that just sold looked like something that was just taken off a shelf in the hardware store. I have a Collins Legitimus that my Dad bought brand new, and somehow never got used, and never will. The "Collins Genuine Hickory" on the handle is crystal clear. It's probably 70 years old, and I'll never put it to wood. But, most of my others I use. I used my wife's grandfathers American Beauty Double that I'm pretty sure is over 100 years old with the original handle in a "Cord Wood Challenge". The challenge is to cut down, buck, and split a cord of wood with an axe. It's not easy. I cut mostly small trees that needed clearing anyway. Cutting the trees down is no problem, but, both ends look like a beaver chewed on them, so you can't stand them on end to split. I lay them between two other small logs to chop in half or quarters.
OMG...that CWC with an axe makes me tired and sore just thinking about it. Dang with a chainsaw it still pains me to do in a day. I am old due to health but even as a young buck i would be thinking twice.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well.. I figure there must be a few people that are disappointed by the early spring weather and are hoping for more snow, so to do my part I took off the blower and sweeper, wiped them down, greased them up, and lifted them up to the loft..
View attachment 2496103 View attachment 2496100

I think Ol Cooper is questioning the intelligence of my rationale..

View attachment 2496101

then brought out my baby and took it for a ride..:cool:

View attachment 2496102

ohh.. I left the QA hitch on and the plow is still ready to go just in case..:ROFLMAO:
everything you have is perfect, house, garage/barnmahall, cars, tractors, ahh but its your dogs that impress me the most, they are great.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I changed my battery, bought a Duracell from SamsClub for $29. Yep new battery for 11month old e170. Last time used snowblower after i finished i pulled it into shed and out of gas she stopped cold ahhh but I did not turn the key to off and shazaam I got to buy and install new battey. Pulled her out with new battery and put the snow blower onto a furniture dolly from HF, stuff i learned here thanks MTF. Stil recovering form health issues so tomorrow will change the oil and grease jerks and new air cleaner and fuel filter.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Aside from cost (plastic is cheap and easy to mold), I wonder why they don't make those covers out of expanded metal / mesh? Would certainly make it a LOT easier to blow out the debris after mowing.

Mike
Six 10mm hex screws come out every other mowing...Off the two covers go and air blasted clean deck. Looking at those pulleys go without covers makes me glad I have them. When young we had IH tractor with 6ft deck...lol no covers late 60s early 70s but no accidents either. Guess you adapt to what you have.

·
Registered
155 Posts
In terms the safety officer would approve, they are safety shields, and I advise keeping them on. Now that my grandson is climbing on and off my tractor (though never for mowing), they always seem to have size 4 sneaker patterned dirt on them. In practical terms, they do capture debris. Several years ago (my deck is on an 11 year old x728) I cut larger slots in both of them. It does probably let more debris in, but it also lets me blow them out with my leaf blower after every mowing.

View attachment 2498915

View attachment 2498914

Preserved the safety shield integrity, but, makes clean-out work much better. Certainly, this kind of design improvement should have been included in the original design of these covers.
I like that, cutting hole in them for cleaning. Great mod.👍

·
Registered
155 Posts
I made the mistake of going to Foxwoods shortly after it first opened. There, everyone plays against the house (as far as I know, I'm not aware of head-to-head games). If you hit when you "shouldn't" (per the "book" or odds), you'll quickly make enemies at the table.

I actually split 10s once, you can't imagine the ruckus that created, from the other players, dealer and pit boss. I had zero clue what I was doing, but ended up getting lucky and making money on that play.

I never, ever left with more money than I started with, so I outgrew that "hobby" pretty quickly.

Mike
Yep...always looking to start a business where people just want to give their money to me willingly and leave with a smile only to return and do it again....

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was doing my and got the tractor nose down hill in a tight spot and got stuck. The R1’s are not good n reverse. I ended up sideways to the hill after trying to push myself out with back curl on the loader. The dirt was softer under the front tires than in back so I had no chance to correct.
Wow..that is too close to the fall line and no soft landing in sight...that would get my heart beating fast...looking at again the pic was playing trick on me it seemed like 10ft fall to the bldg...

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drop spread Weed & Feed on about 60k sqft of my lawn this morning before Scout and I head off to the mountains where he won't be walking on any of it and then licking his paws.

View attachment 2502543

Should be rained/wind blown into the soil by next week when we get back.
Always nice to know a master who looks after his best friend.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used the loader to move the blower into the shed. Then I removed the loader, swapped wheels/tires. Sharpened blades and installed the mower deck. This is my first grass mow with the 455. I can get used to the diesel!

I think I need to level the deck. Forest always used the pflow and MCS. The right side sits high without the pflow. I’ll get to that before the next cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I was only guy here who worked on equip in the grass and dirt. At least not raining or snowing.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts