My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Picked up the new 45 loader cross bars I had made. Up next is powder coating. Really happy with the job the fab shop did with them. I still need to find a hardware source, other than mother Deere.
View attachment 2532604

Ahhh, now I understand what you were talking about (I thought you were talking about something related to a bucket q/a.)

For anyone who owns two X7s and one 45 FEL, this would be a fantastic piece of hardware to get hold of. 👍

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
OK... Wasn't sure that you weren't being sneaky about a surprise new (tractor) acquisition!

Mike
Ha!! :)

I like the way you think. But I am currently still a one-tractor owner. That said, I have sprinkled a few bread crumbs here and there in recent days for the sleuths among us… :)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Took the 314 H2 out to try a little plowing with the 4 way blade and test the cab I purchased. Everything seemed to work well. I ordered from Aux-Hyd a set of new hydraulic lines for the plow as the 50+ yr old ones are badly dry rotted. Also ordered new chains as the ones that came with the plow and blower are terrible. View attachment 2533798
Very cool. Love that cab.👍

What blade are you using?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Well, how deep was it?
Ended up being about 8” of really heavy dense snow. The heart attack kind if you have to shovel it. And it was sticky too, so it didn’t want to roll off the blade normally.

It was not good “blade” snow. I missed an opportunity to try the Model 49 snowthrower.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
I got the China tractor from a friend that got it from a renter in trade for back rent. He had it since 2009 and only mowed a 3 acre building lot once a month, from 2009 till I got it in 2020. At that time it had 248 hours on it. It's now a little over 300 hours. 3 cylinder diesel is like new.
That’s not a very reassuring track record. If it needs such expensive repairs already with so few hours, what will happen as it ages?

I’m with your wife. Cut your losses and go green (or orange, or red, or??)

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
First snow removal with new to me x540 and 44” blower. Operated well on level ground, but big time traction issues on even the modest slope in the background. I have 2 x 55# wheel weights and 2 x suitcase weights. I thought the HDAPs would be okay but not even close. Will my chains from my 12” turfs fit over the HDAPs or do they need their own set since larger circumference? I had much better success in the past with the same weights on a chained up GT275 with 42” blower.
View attachment 2534479
Those chains should fit with a few tweeks, if tires are same size.

But first I would suggest at least two more rear suitcase weights. That 2-stage blower is probably a fair bit heavier than your previous one. The rear end is probably just too light.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Getting blasted here now in PEI with the same system that just went up thru the Northeast US. Expected snow fall from 20 to 45 cm's of snow. As of 2 hours ago, about 10 cm's down so far. Gonna snow all night. Wind gusting right now to 80 km/hr and gonna be at 100 km/hr overnight. The x530 will get a good workout tomorrow. Let the games begin, lol.
I remember when I rode my bicycle across PEI, being very impressed with the size of the snow removal equipment at the farms I passed (and the tidiness of the farms and homesteads!) I have no doubt you are all well-prepared!

Enjoy the storm.👍

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
No snow here yet, but is 2° out.
Snow not predicted until 8pm 😩
Will be a busy Monday, but projections dropped from 20" to 12"-18".

Wow you’ll still be busy!! (Where are you located, again?)

Here in DC our forecast is down to 1-3” with ice and rain in the mix too.

Now I am sort of regretting mounting the Model 49 snowthrower on the 140. Yes, I want to test it out. But not sure how well it will do with this amount/type of precipitation? It doesn’t have (yet!) the speed up gear or flapper mod.

I still have time to swap back to the blade. Thoughts?

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
For a wet snow yes until you get the flapper mod done. Mine was pretty much useless in wet/slushy snow.
Maybe I should leave the blower on and learn just how bad it is for this situation. That will motivate me to make the mods!! 😂

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Well, I am a glutton for punishment and just had to try the Model 49 before the rain washed all the snow away. So night ops it was.

Have to say, I was reasonably pleased. Barely enough snow, first time using a blower, operating on gravel, at night, with sleety precipitation. And yet it did okay.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Can’t wait to try it in deeper snow under better circumstances. 👍

·
Likes Vintage JDs
11,845 Posts
Finally got to clean up today after our second Nor'easter in a week. Started Friday evening with 44 cm's of snow and high winds over a day and a half. Those winds resulted in not much snow in some places and 4 to 5 foot banks in others. Had a lot of shoveling to do on the decks and also to knock down some tall banks around the house. The x530 performed great as usual.
Now that is REAL snow!

1 - 20 of 183 Posts