My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Winter finally found our part of central New York so I got to use the new electric lift for the LA165's snowblower - I will not miss that lift handle!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Put new tubes in my mew to me dump cart wheels. Finally got to use my HF mini tire changer. Worked like a charm. Also installed my wheel weights grtting ready for possible plow seat time tomorrow.

You're going to love that cart. I've had one for about 20 years and I can tell you it's darn-near indestructible!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Similar story here in upstate/central NY with about 6" of snow plus a sleet/freezing rain crust! The LA165 with 44" blower continues to impress me, even with it's lack of traction. My first pass is slightly uphill to the road and it was very slow going with several "backup and try again" moves. Once I got that first pass done I was able to attack the snow overlapping about 1/2 the blower width. I'd say it was shooting the snow 25' or so (insert sarcastic X7-- comment here. :tango_face_devil: )

·
Registered
609 Posts
Actually I have installed wheel weights since that picture and I've always run 2 suitcase weights. There's only so much the little K46 will take, though, so I don't want to overdo it. I've gotten used to leaning back when I need more traction, LOL

·
Registered
609 Posts
Was snow blowing the neighbor's driveway about a week ago and something felt odd. Turns out one of my tire chains let loose. 10 years and I've never had that happen. Luckily the long "locking link" or whatever it's called caught so the chain stayed on the tire (albeit sideways!) and allowed me to get back home (uphill). I did not have to use it for the rest of the week and Saturday was nice weather so I was able to fix it inside the garage in relative comfort. I jacked up the rear and was able to just loosen and turn the chain - I did not have to remove it! A couple of zip ties on the inside and outside locking links of both tires will hopefully prevent this from happening again.

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
I hear ya. I never bungeed because I've always been able to get the chains pretty tight (I deflate, chain up, and then inflate) and like I said, 10 years with no problems. I'll certainly take care next year to either bungee or use some zip ties if that seems to hold for the rest of this season. I tried to convince the wife that since a chain fell off I needed a new X5xx but she's not falling for it. :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yah, that could potentially be the problem but the tire did seem ok. I only did a push-and-feel test, though, since I have to remove the weights to get at the valve stem. These weights don't have a full cutout for the stem, just a cavity. I've been meaning to make a full cutout but I never remember until it's time to put them back on and then it's too late and/or I don't have the ambition.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I just noticed this part of your post. This (and a garbage-filled carb) convinced my wife that I needed to buy a walk-behind snowblower to back up the tractor-mount. So, I bought a Honda tracked model. :)
Funny you mention that. We bought our house in 1993 and I had someone plow the first winter - hated it! I bought a cheap-o MTD walk-behind in 1994 and used it until 2008 when I got the Deere. I considered selling it but glad I did not. I still use it several times each winter. There are a couple of places I can't get the tractor and it's useful for times when the town scrapes the road and leaves softball sized chunks of ice in front of my mailbox (like they just did yesterday). That old MTD will chew right through that stuff!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I swept the lawn, then washed the broom and put it away. I'm starting to get spring equipment ready now. Fun time of year!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Looks just like my tractor after snow blowing...but I'll bet that grass is a **** of a lot warmer! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nothing too exciting - I replaced the idler pulley tension spring for the PTO drive belt on my 44" snow blower last night. Maybe this will ensure we don't get any more snow this year!

2 weeks ago the blower stopped working suddenly. After checking the shear pins, I then found the loose belt/idler pulley (and found the broken spring in the driveway!), checked the manual, and ordered 3 new springs (figured if this one broke loose, the other 2 shown in the manual may not be too far behind). Come to find out, 11 years ago when new, the dealer had installed an extra spring that was not needed (1 is used for electric PTO, 1 is used for manual PTO, and 1 is common). The manual PTO spring is the one I found in the driveway and the electric PTO spring was gone. Apparently no harm done but now without the manual PTO spring the idler pulley keeps more tension on the PTO belt. Not sure if it will make any difference or not.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Am I the only one that does this? After years it's become so automatic for me to pull the RIO when backing up while mowing. It's like when my foot goes to the reverse pedal my hand automatically goes to the RIO without me even having to give it a thought. Now here is the funny part, when I'm doing anything else with the tractor such as using the loader or rolling the yard every time I back up I'm pulling the RIO. I guess it's better than having a bad habit.
I'd try to break the habit because the more you use a switch, the more wear it gets...it's mechanical. You might even pull the plastic handle off! I've got a similar problem with out faucets in the house. Our kitchen faucet is a touch start/stop. I'm forever doing it in the bathroom, laundry room and yes, ever other's houses. Feels pretty stupid!
Habits...ugh! The men's room in my office has one of those big buttons to open it automatically so there is no latch mechanism. I still use the handle but it took me months to stop turning the handle out of habit. Used a men's room on another floor the other day (normal latch mechanism) and just pulled on the handle to leave...just about ripped my arm off!!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Nice! I've been wanting to get something similar. My only gripe with road trailers is the pizza cutter wheels; They leave trenches across my lawn with a loaded trailer. I need to figure out how to make dual wheels or find fatter tires when I do find a trailer.
I've only scanned the replies quickly so hopefully this is not a repeat but I'd search for wheels & tires from a snowmobile trailer - they're usually pretty wide.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Had a tree cut down last weekend. Had 2 stumps ground yesterday. Took about half of the chippings to the brush pile tonight before it got dark. The brush pile is downhill from the house and the steepest part of the path to get there turned to mush on me. Had to get out the chains to make it back up!

Tried 3 times to fix the pics but they're all sideways. They show correctly on my computer. I give up!

Attachments

·
Registered
609 Posts
Went to the JD dealer to buy a new RIO switch for my LA165 and sat on an X590 on the way out...baaaaaad idea!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Went to the JD dealer to buy a new RIO switch for my LA165 and sat on an X590 on the way out...baaaaaad idea!
I don't see that you've updated the herd list in your signature, so what actually happened???

Mike
LOL - I was a good boy and walked away spending only the necessary $10. Sure got me thinking, though. An X5XX is next on my wish list (I'm a year past my planned 10-year usage of the LA165) but it will have to wait another year or two. I've admired the X5XX each time I've been to the dealership but that was the first time I've sat on one - seems even bigger and tougher looking from the operator's seat point of view!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hahaha - same here - dragged my butt out of bed at 5 AM, cleaned about 2" of wet snow from my drive, two neighbors, and all the mailboxes.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well I sat in the seat of my new to me 400 and ordered everything on EBay ?

New Tires all the way around, new decals and some JD yellow paint for the wheels.

Does that count as doing something on my JD ?
Sitting on the tractor ordering parts...isn't that like grocery shopping when your hungry? Pretty much doubles the bill! Oh, I'll have one of those, and one of those...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Lost my steering. Was snow blowing, cranked the wheel, and just heard click-click-click as the steering wheel turned but the wheels did not! I managed to limp it back to the garage and finished with the walk-behind. Looks like the gear at the bottom of the steering shaft finally wore down enough to skip. Parts are cheap enough and it looks easy enough to replace but I'll have to remove the snow blower to get to it - ugh!

1 - 20 of 122 Posts