My Tractor Forum banner
1841 - 1860 of 1875 Posts

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
116 Posts
Same bad back, and cra*py knees, but I am still too stubborn not to do it myself. I've got the deck off mine now trying to find out why the mower belt is coming off when I disengage it. It recently started 'unspooling' or jumping the belt path when I disengage the blades. It started a few months ago and was getting progressively worse, so I put it down to an old stretched out belt. This was the original belt I bought the machine with and its been 2 years so I figured it was way stretched out. I got a new belt but the problem is the same.
Deck Diagram t1000.png
When I looked at the exploded parts diagrams, it appears that one of the idler pulleys is missing a belt stay/guard but I have never needed to remove the idlers on this deck since I bought it. I think that it either is a difference in the drawing to model number or it might have been removed by the previous owner, but either way after replacing the old belt I can get it to cut fine for the initial engagement but it throws the belt now every time I disengage it to back up or have to idle down to get off for clearing the path, etc. I've made up a farm repair bracket for this and I will be putting it on the deck and testing it today.
The belt tensioner also seems to be tightening the belt more than it was since the belt change. Maybe its because the old belt was just too loose, but is there a way to adjust these? Maybe I knocked the adjustment out in removing the deck? Even though its tighter, as soon as I disengage, it spits it out. Any help or advice will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
I despise pulling decks on my machines. It never takes me less than 20 minutes, so it's definitely not something I do just to accomplish one task.

Mike

Reactions: SuperK
5,151 Posts
I'll try these people out and they do a reasonable repair they maybe my "go to repair" guy for lawn equipment. Sears was repairing the tractor, snow blower and generator. Ace Hardware was repairing the weed eater and blower. They both stop doing repairs and so this guy does it all, Plus he picks the equipment up and returns it when it done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Alright I'll say it; That should be a 20A fuse, not a 30A. I think you got lucky that the fuse (and holder?) were the only items melted.

So who put the 30A in there?
It has always been a 30 amp fuse and my electrical diagram calls it out as so.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
116 Posts
They both stop doing repairs and so this guy does it all, Plus he picks the equipment up and returns it when it done.
A repairperson one can trust and they fetch and deliver? That is a rare thing indeed.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
That's for sure, especially if they don't charge extra. Even if they do, it might be worth it, especially if you don't have a trailer, or the engine is dead.

Mike

5,151 Posts
The shop working on my tractor is only 3 miles away. I almost could take it there myself with a Home Depot trailer a block away but I don't mind having him doing it and paying for it. I noticed his website has a lot of John Deere tractors being worked on so all the local John Deere owners must be using him for repairs. He has good reviews. Four mechanics work there. He does fix chain saws, leaf blowers too. I will definitely be using him for all my lawn equipment.

·
Registered
347 Posts
On the fuse problem, if the tractor ever gets wet, I am going to say water started a little corrosion.
That only got worse over time.
I have also found increasing the RPM to soon after starting will load that fuse up almost to max or enough to warm it up recharging the battery and running any electrical devices you might be using.
My tractor that had the same problem, 917.273090

·
Registered
123 Posts
Wow yes I see it now looking at the parts list. That's a new one for me. Have you tracked down the cause yet?
Will have time tomorrow to splice and solder the new fuse holder in and check everything,

·
Registered
123 Posts
Will have time tomorrow to splice and solder the new fuse holder in and check everything,
It's alive!!!! It's alive!!!! Maniacal laugh....Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,......

Checked all wiring and no signs of shorting. It must have been arcing in the holder.....hence the melted holder.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
116 Posts
This holiday and Burt's Quote, got me to thinking of an old idea I had for my Craftsman T-1000. I dug i out of the old files, and have been sketching it up so it is still in the early planning stages, but I just couldn't pass up his Maniacal laugh segue since I have been calling it the Franken Trimmer. Should be posting more in the next week or so as logistics allow.
Happy Fourth!

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,190 Posts

Checked all wiring and no signs of shorting. It must have been arcing in the holder.....hence the melted holder.
Glad you got'er done. And thanks for coming back to let us know you fixed it!

Reactions: mikeinri and SuperK

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts

Glad you got'er done. And thanks for coming back to let us know you fixed it!
Awesome! Keep an eye on it, just in case...

I cut the lawn today, no great pic of the tractor, but I used the GS6500 and the Trac Vac 380, which started on one pull in the 87-degree heat. You can see parts of both machines in this "before" pic.

I was racing a storm front, so no "after" pics today.

Mike

20210706_150111.jpg

Reactions: RedOctobyr
5,151 Posts
I got back my craftsman tractor yesterday from the shop that installed the deck belt. They charged me only $99 to put a new one on. I find that very reasonable. They checked the transmission belt and said it was okay.

·
Premium Member
11,530 Posts
That's pretty good if that included the part, and pickup!

Mike

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
The belt tensioner also seems to be tightening the belt more than it was since the belt change. Maybe its because the old belt was just too loose, but is there a way to adjust these? Maybe I knocked the adjustment out in removing the deck? Even though its tighter, as soon as I disengage, it spits it out. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
I'd say take the deck back off and give all the idlers and pulleys the ol' lazer eye. Maybe place a straight edge on the various pulleys and see if one is out of whack with the rest. Eons ago when we still had our Mazda MPV kid van, it kept chewing through timing belts like licorice. Drove me nuts until I found that a $1.65 bushing had worn out on the inner face enough that it was tilting its pulley forward and feeding the belt into a metal guard.

You've put a new belt on, I think the tighter tension is just a natural result of that. Maybe you have a pulley or idler arm that just isn't riding level any more.

Good luck.

1841 - 1860 of 1875 Posts