My Tractor Forum banner
1821 - 1840 of 1875 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Yes, this is on the crest of a small hill, was two separate circles (one around the two oaks, the other around the small dogwood). That was a HUGE PITA to mow around (one tire inevitably slipped, and half the time I felt like I was going to roll the tractor over). Last year, my wife paid for a landscaping company to renovate the beds, and I got these connected.

These daylillies are great growers and true survivors. Longer stories in these two threads...

Mike

Reactions: SuperK

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
116 Posts
A little tug duty for the GS6500 yesterday. Moved a couple dozen old daylillies from a temporary location (in old pots, in the garden) to a new location out front.

No great pics of the tractor, but you can see that none of this would have been easy without it.

My oldest son (14) drove and helped with the process.

Mike

View attachment 2508814
Ahh, youth, a job well done, and a bit of time to relax in the shade. Summer memories made for this guy.
Wonderful pictures of your yard and I'm little jealous of the dirt you have there. Maybe because I'm posting this on Father's Day, but the first thing that came to mind when looking at these pictures was that song by Ella Fitzgerald, "Summer Time" :
"Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush little baby, baby don't you cry..."

Beautiful place you have there.

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the yard. It's had its moments of being a giant dead, weedy mess. This looks pretty good at the moment, but there's always room for improvement. Living in the "country" we don't go for the overly-manicured / built by robots look, but try to keep things looking healthy (easier said than done in the heat of summer).

Let there be no illusion, there's no dirt here that's usable that I haven't trucked in over time. Even in the woods, there's leaf litter, under that it's sandy and rocky. A foot down, and you start to hit clay (and more rock). Granted, it's not the volcanic pile like yours, but it's pretty brutal to deal with. It's amazing that people were able to farm here when they settled from Europe.

I've had loam brought in for the lawn, planting beds and vegetable garden. I heavily amend the planting beds and vegetable garden, usually with cow manure, peat moss and old leaves. When planting flowers and shrubs, I also use garden soil (Miracle Grow).

Here's my favorite song with "Summertime" as a title. The meaning of the song is deceptively not as happy as the jangle-pop tune...

Mike

Reactions: SuperK

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Very nice, congrats, it looks great!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you, after a lot of cleaning, and all the good stuff ya do to a tractor that lived with dogs for years, It ran like crap, smoked, popping, stalling, it had low compression, so I give it a vave job, there was so much carbon buildup on the heads, pistons, and valves no way the valves could seat, that engine had stock pistons in it, but I could see the cross hatches still in cylinder walls, I'm almost thinking the owner, way back when, tried to set the idle and screwed every screw except the idle, it was way out of whack, causing to much fuel in chamber it just couldn't burn it all out, I mowed my 5 acres with it today and it ran beautifully, actually think I broke the record for moving time, I think it's a 25-30 yr old new tractor, no wear anywhere and its tight. I love it when a plan comes together. I had been using my museum piece Craftsman II (2) 20 hp Onan with only 200hrs on it to mow, not any more,,,Thanks again,

·
Registered
50 Posts
That was my end of day. It seems like that's the only time to get my stuff done. I help my landlord on his farm as much as I can to keep out of the recliner. Cows, baling, maintenance, then traveling to spend time with my 90yr old Mother who is in her final days. I had to get it done, I didn't want to use the Craftsman II 20hp Onan to mow anymore. It is a new tractor that's 35 yrs old. It's really sad that I used it when I have 8 craftsman garden tractors, 2 white GT2055's and a Ranchking that's Identical to the Whites. Last fall I traded a GT6000 18hp Magnum, that was my mower for one of the White 2055s. The GT2055 also was a brand new tractor that threw a rod out of the block soon after it was purchased new. I only seek out the ones that have been put away soon after purchase. I have to stop buying and start fixing them. I'm on a fixed income as a Disabled Veteran but every month something shows up I have to buy. LOL Yesterday I picked up a brand new 55'' shaft drive deck for the RanchKing In Youngstown ($50), then to Columbus For a used 2 times Stihl MS311 ($150) and ($80) for the RanchKing. Brand new 50'' craftsman deck ($25) and not last, a new in box snow thrower and snow blade for the Whites ($250) I gotta stop buying and start fixing.
have to STOP. LOL 20210608_191937.jpg 20210504_101229.jpg 20210608_185712.jpg IMG_20210130_224005.jpg IMG_20210130_223501.jpg IMG_20210130_223948.jpg DSC08533.JPG IMG_20200816_115951.jpg 20210608_190959.jpg 20210608_190750.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
I'm trying to remember, was White always an MTD brand? My neighbor had a White walk-behind blower, was quite a beast!

Nice job finding anything new in the box for those, BTW...

Mike

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure either, I wasn't looking for them, somehow all 3 of them found me. Funny how that happens. I never heard of a Sears FF24, then within 1week I had 2-FF24s and an FF20.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
116 Posts
I'm not sure either, I wasn't looking for them, somehow all 3 of them found me. Funny how that happens. I never heard of a Sears FF24, then within 1week I had 2-FF24s and an FF20.
LOL, Tractor Math is the same as Chicken Math! LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
So this past Sunday I drove the GT 3000 about a quarter mile to inspect a retention pond behind my back fence to see how much water it holds since I'm in a battle with the city to get it dug out before another storm comes along. Plus, I like to just sit under an oak tree and listen to the wind in the trees and nature.

I start up the tractor no issue and I'm creeping along when all of a sudden it just dies. No sputter, no raising off the seat... just dead and won't even turn over. So I push it through the brush back to the road and I get quite the workout pushing it 1/4 mile back to my garage. LOL!

First thing I check is the main 30 amp fuse but it won't budge...stuck in the fuse holder tight! After some leveraged prying back and forth with the curved needle nose pliers it finally pops out an lo and behold look at what I find.

Fuse.jpg

And it's not blown!!!!! It's still good according to my ammeter! It just had tons of heat inside the holder which I thought for sure would have blown the fuse, but all it did was melt the plastic until it was not making contact with the prongs inside.

The wires leading to the fuse holder show no signs of overheating or charring so I assume there was some sort of short inside. I'll have to get a waterproof 30 amp fuse holder and solder in to repair.

Has anyone experienced this type of electrical issue before? I mean, the fuse is there to blow by design but for some reason didn't and the holder just melted on the inside (no signs of outside heat damage) and the wires leading to it are just fine.

I'm not an electrician, but I play one on TV.

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
It's possible the circuit is using less than 30A, but close to that limit. I know with my '04 Sierra, some of the electrical plugs on it are like that, where the plastic used is just barely good enough for the power used by the circuit, and look burnt over a period of time, or need to be replaced.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,191 Posts
Loose or dirty connection can make the juice arc and spark across the metal parts and create heat.
Worse it gets, hotter the arcs and sparks. (In my humble opinion)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,835 ·
So this past Sunday I drove the GT 3000 about a quarter mile to inspect a retention pond behind my back fence to see how much water it holds since I'm in a battle with the city to get it dug out before another storm comes along. Plus, I like to just sit under an oak tree and listen to the wind in the trees and nature.

I start up the tractor no issue and I'm creeping along when all of a sudden it just dies. No sputter, no raising off the seat... just dead and won't even turn over. So I push it through the brush back to the road and I get quite the workout pushing it 1/4 mile back to my garage. LOL!

First thing I check is the main 30 amp fuse but it won't budge...stuck in the fuse holder tight! After some leveraged prying back and forth with the curved needle nose pliers it finally pops out an lo and behold look at what I find.

View attachment 2510242

And it's not blown!!!!! It's still good according to my ammeter! It just had tons of heat inside the holder which I thought for sure would have blown the fuse, but all it did was melt the plastic until it was not making contact with the prongs inside.

The wires leading to the fuse holder show no signs of overheating or charring so I assume there was some sort of short inside. I'll have to get a waterproof 30 amp fuse holder and solder in to repair.

Has anyone experienced this type of electrical issue before? I mean, the fuse is there to blow by design but for some reason didn't and the holder just melted on the inside (no signs of outside heat damage) and the wires leading to it are just fine.

I'm not an electrician, but I play one on TV.
Alright I'll say it; That should be a 20A fuse, not a 30A. I think you got lucky that the fuse (and holder?) were the only items melted.

So who put the 30A in there?

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
Alright I'll say it; That should be a 20A fuse, not a 30A. I think you got lucky that the fuse (and holder?) were the only items melted.

So who put the 30A in there?
I was thinking along those lines. Find the electrical diagram for the tractor and see what it says. I'd check other wiring for damage as well.

Mike

5,151 Posts
Question: my secondary belt broke, it goes under the primary drive belt, can I put the secondary deck belt on without removing the deck from under the tractor? The mandrel on the left side has a double slot and the drive belt is on top. The deck belt goes under it. I was thinking just taking the bolt off to move that belt to get the deck belt underneath it on the mandrel bottom slot.

5,151 Posts
Question: my secondary belt broke, it goes under the primary drive belt, can I put the secondary deck belt on without removing the deck from under the tractor? The mandrel on the left side has a double slot and the drive belt is on top. The deck belt goes under it. I was thinking just taking the bolt off to move that belt to get the deck belt underneath it on the mandrel bottom slot.
This morning I decided to have someone pick it up and work on it.

5,151 Posts
I have never taken the deck off in 21 years. I know is a difficult job. pulling seven or so pins, laying on your back. I have a bad back and two bad knees not to mention other health issues. Its 97 degrees out and it would take me an hour or so to remove the deck, Heck I'll just hire someone else to do it. I called this morning and they picked it up already. You can't beat that service.

1821 - 1840 of 1875 Posts