My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1801 - 1817 of 1817 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Can't wait to see the final pics of that basket, installed! Sounds like a fantastic idea!

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Mowed after work tonight, finished cleaning up just as it was getting too dark to see. Used the GS6500 and Trac Vac 380.

Had trouble getting the (new) gas cap off when I finished, saw this in the tank, ripped a piece of the gasket off. Great...

Mike

20210610_203606.jpg

Reactions: SuperK

·
Registered
46 Posts
It looks great!

My parents had one very similar, but 18hp (still the cool 6-speed high/low tranny).

It was a while ago, but I remember there being some sort of front PTO output. I thought there was something available there, presumably for running a snowblower or something. Am I remembering correctly, or making that up?
Not on this, It has only the Mule drive for the deck on the front, I do have 2-White GT's and a RanchKing that has the front PTO for the shaft drive Snow Thrower.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
Can't wait to see the final pics of that basket, installed! Sounds like a fantastic idea!

Mike
Finished painting it, reassembled it, installed it and made a quick run around the yard. I can now load up (6) 5 gallon buckets, the feed buckets I use to do morning chores. It has good strong lower bracing and the tow bracket plate is still accessible. Now to beat the h*ll out of it.
IMG_1888.JPG Cart base installed and bolted in place.
IMG_1889.JPG Back panel that I modified to fit the seat.
IMG_1890.JPG Back panel mod and and seat works great- no pinch points or wear spots yet.
IMG_1892.JPG The whole unit assembled and
IMG_1893.JPG Final shot with the original plastic head piece (yellow Gorilla 'bumper') swapped to the new rear panel.
Today will mark the first 'In Service' date. We'll see how my pathetic welding skills hold up. The other great news is that I have a few parts left over from the original cart, so axles and tires, steering assembly and tow bars / handles are all going to be going into other new projects! I am working on designing a set of tug carts that roll inline and steer independently. The T-1000 has the horsepower to tow more than one full cart, and I hate to make more trips than I have to so.... this is the next evolutionary step for my farmlette.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
OK, NOW I get it! Very nice job!!!

Mike

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,167 Posts
That does look pretty nice.

Watch yourself taking off forward when you have a load on.
I had to mount 38 lbs of counter weight up front to keep mine from popping wheelies when I have the tool box on the back.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
That does look pretty nice.

Watch yourself taking off forward when you have a load on.
I had to mount 38 lbs of counter weight up front to keep mine from popping wheelies when I have the tool box on the back.
Wow, I totally forgot about that! I have two cast concrete weights for my FEL but designed for the back weight box that came with it. I guess my next project is a front frame mounted weight bar and cast concrete suitcase weights to fit. I suppose a couple of thicknesses to have variable weights to add depending on the load? 20, 10, 5 etc. plus spacers to tighten up the weights. My yard is bumpy and I don't want to lose a weight while I am on the move.

And last photos of the unit out of the barn, so to speak. I added a bit of an off level condition (high) to the cart so after I load it with the feed etc, and my fat butt, it should level out nicely. I will be painting the tractor and the cart in a totally different color scheme so for now, the two toned green will do.

IMG_1894.JPG IMG_1896.JPG IMG_1895.JPG IMG_1897.JPG

Reactions: B440 and RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Did you build it so it can flip backwards to dump? That would be cool.

Mike

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
Did you build it so it can flip backwards to dump? That would be cool.

Mike
Dang it. Now I got a dump tractor in my head! >
I will work up a set of sketches for this one. I already reinforced the mounting edge with angle iron, All I would need to do is add another three sides of angle iron then weld on hinges, anchor this better to the tow plate, add a solid latch / dump mechanism and two handles for a manual dump on either side of the tractor. Maybe add a tandem rear end set up for the load weight and balance...
I'd need another 5 minutes to think out the idea for a linear actuator. Though, I would also need to add a JD aftermarket alternator
1623453567033.png
to run the extra 12V battery needed not to drain the starting battery to run it..... Hmmm this alternator is a 20 Amp output, and if I ran the circuit right, it could also charge the starting battery too. And the linear actuator battery can be slung up front to offset the front end weighs needed. Hmmm, this is sounding better all the time.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Great work so far!! But why use a second battery? It seems like something else to maintain (manually charge after each use), and which could go dead in the middle of using it.

Time will tell if this was a great idea, once I get to start using it. But last fall I added a winch and a bucket to the front of my tractor. The winch raises/lowers the bucket. I just tied it into the starter battery. It's a 25A charging circuit, I'm hoping that will be enough.

The alternator is also running the electric power steering, but at least the PTO would be off. My hope is that the large electrical loads will be intermittent enough that the charging system will be able to keep up with it.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
Great work so far!! But why use a second battery? I
Well, from what I've read and experienced, the stock Craftsman ring alternator on my T-1000 is remarkably under whelming in keeping the battery charged. I bought this tractor used about two years old, and replaced one battery so far and have had to charge it up about once a month. It seems easier to frame mount a new alternator and route a second pulley and belt than it will be to pull and replace what will be another underwhelming ring alternator.
The new battery and 20 amp alternator should allow me to reconnect my head lights, add a horn, back up alarms and LED light bars for evening work.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
Dang it. Now I got a dump tractor in my head! >
I will work up a set of sketches for this one.
Wait, I have a Craftsman G6000 with a FEL and a Case 580B Backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket. Not sure I need a dump cart. But I will sketch it up!

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
I can't tell how much of that is sarcasm (probably a lot), but a sketch would be cool...

Mike

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
I can't tell how much of that is sarcasm (probably a lot), but a sketch would be cool...

Mike
Sarcasm was intended however, not any snarkiness. My Girlfriend gives me the look when I start talking tractors- I am behind on so many projects in getting the ones I own into the forms I need them.
I am working on a SketchUp file for the basic idea. It has been a LONG time since I have used SketchUp, so it may take a while. I will be modeling the basic frame with hinges, sans the tractor and the cart itself I think. We'll see if I can find any items premade in the 3D warehouse, I might add them in.

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
106 Posts
Ok, The Dump sketch is done as far as my limited skill go on Sketch Up. The changes I made to what I did on my tractor should be evident.
I have a Sketch up file but I didn't know if I could attach it. I don't want to do something not allowed in the forum. I am willing to send it, as bad as it is, by email if interested. I do have a painted up version of a screenshot of the file here. It is however not vector file so it doesn't zoom well, nor will scale up like the Sketchup file will.
Like I said, I have a rudimentary set of skills on Sketch up but I did find a Craftsman tractor to start with. I did make the frames added the steel mesh I also found online, and most of the hours were spent getting the imported files to fit together scale wise.
To build a bigger dumper cart, simply stretch out the steel frame like I did the digital files and the offset the weight issues,
Per JP Savage- "Watch yourself taking off forward when you have a load on. "
As JP stated, it will be tail heavy, Add stability by stretching the wheel base, adding a second differential and wheel set, a nose weight or any or all three.

Sketchup tractor and cart 1.png

Reactions: Ken22
1801 - 1817 of 1817 Posts