My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1761 - 1780 of 1817 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
DE and RI are small states, but about 6 hours apart. RI is up near MA, east of CT.

Mike

·
Registered
318 Posts
Been there many times, Boston was another of my regular runs.
Seemed like if I went to Boston on 90 E, I always left on 95 S.
That run was something like Denver with swinging meat to Boston, deadhead to Kentucky for a load of liquor and back to Denver.
If I went to Boston on 95 N, I always left on 90 W.
That run was swinging meat to NYC, deadhead to Gloucester Mass. for a load of fish to everywhere, even as far as Seattle.
That was two different companies, so different consinees and shippers as well as different rights to haul different products.
I do not remember ever delivering anything in Rhode Island, by I do remember many trips through.
Delaware about the same, many trips through, but I don't remember delivering anything there either.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Seat looks comfy. What did it sell for on clearance? Time to bathe the tractor so it matches the seat?

Tug duty for the GS6500 today (pulling the boat trailer around for a showing), followed by...

Are you sitting down???

...a bath!!!

First time I remember washing this thing (ever). Looked great until the water dried, I definitely missed some spots. I used Dawn detergent in a bucket with water, and a scrub brush (same way I wash the RV and boat).

It might be nervous now. The last time I washed anything, it was right before selling the old boat...

Mike

20210411_153624.jpg
20210411_153630.jpg
20210411_153659.jpg
20210411_155827.jpg
20210411_155835.jpg
20210411_155911.jpg

20210411_165208.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Got the new gas cap for the GS6500 in the mail today (UPS to USPS handoff). The old cap wasn't venting properly, and caused it to stall.

Yesterday, when I washed the tractor, I noticed that the tank is starting to crack. I really hate gas tanks. Metal ones rust, plastic ones crack.

Yes, those are "clean" pics, at least they were taken after I washed the tractor. Obviously, I need to do a better job, probably with the power washer. Everything looked great when it was still wet!

Mike

20210412_143533.jpg
20210412_143539.jpg

Mike

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
1,010 Posts
First mowing of the season with my '00 917.270670 with a mulching plate in place for the first time since I rescued it. It ran great but a ton of clippings accumulated on top of the deck from a poor fitting mulching plate(?). I'll tape up the gaps before the next mow and see if that helps.

·
I break things
486 Posts
Got the new gas cap for the GS6500 in the mail today (UPS to USPS handoff). The old cap wasn't venting properly, and caused it to stall.

Yesterday, when I washed the tractor, I noticed that the tank is starting to crack. I really hate gas tanks. Metal ones rust, plastic ones crack.

Yes, those are "clean" pics, at least they were taken after I washed the tractor. Obviously, I need to do a better job, probably with the power washer. Everything looked great when it was still wet!

Mike

View attachment 2498593 View attachment 2498594

Mike
You may be able to plastic weld those cracks. Have a backup tank handy just in case...

·
Registered
214 Posts
First mowing of the season with my '00 917.270670 with a mulching plate in place for the first time since I rescued it. It ran great but a ton of clippings accumulated on top of the deck from a poor fitting mulching plate(?). I'll tape up the gaps before the next mow and see if that helps.
I have the same problem. Grass accumulates all over the mower. Even on the parts of the transaxle that protrude from the sides of the mower. And grass and dust blow out from everywhere...

·
Just a Tractorin around!
8 Posts
WelI finally moved and
Cleaned up the old GTV 11 last week put the brush guard back on and new Craftsman seat and want to get her back up and Running tomorrow!
Should be fun!
Then maybe think about selling her to someone who will take good care of it!
So far just has a leaking tire besides that to fix!

·
requires supervision
674 Posts
That's a nice tractor. Probably going to sell quick. A mobile metal work bench.
Somewhere to set the saw down to refuel it etc. I love the square tractors.
Some day I'd like to own more than just one tractor.
20210430_114746 (1).jpg

I ordered up two drive belts for mine today. I have no idea how old the one on there is,
but it looks like an incident just waiting to happen. Probably would be 300-400M from the shed too.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Funny, I always hated the look of the "square" models, but after owning several rounded ones, I can totally see where a flat surface (hood) would be a great asset.

I have the same problem. Grass accumulates all over the mower. Even on the parts of the transaxle that protrude from the sides of the mower. And grass and dust blow out from everywhere...
Years ago, I started blowing off the deck, tranny and under the hood with a leaf blower. Started with a cordless, but the gas backpack blower does it much better job. Either way, it's WAY better to blow it off than leave the dirt, grass and leaves in place after each use.

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
finally started the restore/repower for the '65 sub 10

·
Premium Member
9,966 Posts
Yes, a bath (especially after hard work) does them good)!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
A little unplanned maintenance on the GS6500, needed before installing the deck to cut the lawn for the first time.

Found a clear indication of a mouse nest on Saturday, pulled the covers found not only a nest, but a bunch of acorns, as well as a chewed/stripped coil ground wire, and a destroyed air filter precleaner. Had to fish out the mess with a wire coat hanger and shop vac.

Got the following done on the tractor: Fixed the coil wire, changed the oil and filter (made a huge mess in the process, but contained that in a bucket), changed the air filter and replaced the chewed precleaner. Stopped short of replacing the fuel filter (it's covered in the same oil/dirt mess that was covering the rest of the engine).

Got the lawn cut. Still need to dethatch and aerate.

Mike

20210508_154906.jpg
20210508_154925.jpg
20210508_155247.jpg
20210508_155252.jpg
20210508_155754.jpg
20210509_123852.jpg
20210509_134907.jpg
20210509_140605.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Found a few other items in need of repair...

Drive belt, parking belt lever, two deck wheels, fuel filter (and lines).

Will also want to address the source of the oil or fuel leak that's making a giant mess.

Mike

20210509_145929.jpg
20210509_144953.jpg
20210509_143455.jpg
20210509_143453.jpg
20210509_134907.jpg

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Pics of the lawn. You can see some clumps of dead grass, that'll clean up when I dethatch (after I fix a broken part on the Trac Vac).

Mike

20210510_141424~2.jpg
20210510_141414~2.jpg
20210510_141400.jpg
20210509_121344.jpg

·
Registered
447 Posts
A little unplanned maintenance on the GS6500, needed before installing the deck to cut the lawn for the first time.

Found a clear indication of a mouse nest on Saturday, pulled the covers found not only a nest, but a bunch of acorns, as well as a chewed/stripped coil ground wire, and a destroyed air filter precleaner. Had to fish out the mess with a wire coat hanger and shop vac.

Got the following done on the tractor: Fixed the coil wire, changed the oil and filter (made a huge mess in the process, but contained that in a bucket), changed the air filter and replaced the chewed precleaner. Stopped short of replacing the fuel filter (it's covered in the same oil/dirt mess that was covering the rest of the engine).

Got the lawn cut. Still need to dethatch and aerate.

Mike

View attachment 2502834 View attachment 2502835 View attachment 2502837 View attachment 2502840 View attachment 2502841 View attachment 2502842 View attachment 2502843 View attachment 2502844
I've never had a mouse problem probably because of the feral cats and skunk around. My son parks his camper at my place for the winter and puts incense sticks around on the inside. My BIL puts dryer sheets all over the inside his holiday trailer which he parks here for the winter also. I've read that moth balls keep mice away. My other BIL had a mouse problem in his garage until he started using an ultrasonic mouse deterrent thing he plugs into power. Has anyone tried any of these solutions.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I put some poison bait blocks in the shed last winter. Now, it doesn't mean they didn't work, of course. But some was eaten, and there were little "clues" on the floor, of mice activity. I added some more blocks, since I certainly didn't want to deprive then of their "snacks".

I thought about trying an ultrasonic thing. I'd need a battery one, though, since I don't have AC out there.

Mike, you had asked (maybe in a different thread) about whether your dusty engine mess seemed like oil, or gas. My thought would have been oil, since I'd expect gas to evaporate to nothing, rather than leaving wet residue to attract dust, like oil would. But of course the proof is in the pudding, somewhat. If you have that same dusty gunk around things with no oil (like a fuel filter), then maybe it is just dust sticking to a slight gas leak.

I might try to clean it up first (Simple Green & paper towels, or pressure washer, etc), and see if you can observe a fresh leak, to see if you can get a better view.

Reactions: Ken22

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Thanks RO, that's the long-term plan. I'm leaning towards oil, but have seen a similar mess on engines leaking gas. Those looked more "wet" though.

Mike

·
Registered
46 Posts
For mice and squirrels I put bagged mothballs. I put a few bags in the tent trailer over winter, never had mice in it, just making sure I never to. We also put a bag in our patio char stack when we cover it because squirrels were chewing on and nesting in the chairs over winter. Stopped that problem dead cold, maybe would work to keep them out of the tractors over winter too? Only down side is a need for a good airing out for an hour or so before use.

1761 - 1780 of 1817 Posts