My Tractor Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 1767 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I finished it up this morning. One picture shows the brake on the chute side along with
brake material and shears. The other side didn't square up very well. Not sure where I went wrong on it..
Cannon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Wow, that is odd. Did you try reversing the levers?

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Can you add another piece? Did you take pics before removing the levers?

Mike

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I did take one but it's not much help. Looks like the original pad was worn more on that side too. The first picture in post #1697 is of that arm.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Ok, I see now (I also took a better look at your first "after" pic of that lever/pad). Looks like you could either start over and put a slightly bigger piece of pad on, or live with it and keep an eye on it. Seems to be lining up the same as before.

Unless, something else has been out of alignment causing this lever to line up incorrectly since it was originally/last installed?

Was this the first time you've redone the brake pads on this deck?

Mike

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
This is the first time I have put pads on one of the later model Craftsman decks. I've done it a few times on the older ones that had the longer arms. I'm going to install the deck and see how it does, I can always buy a new arm if I have to.
Cannon

·
I break things
451 Posts
Interesting. I probably would have kept the chains on until after tugging with the tractor.

Mike
I didnt want to tear things up that bad if the wheels spun. I have HDAPs and those have plenty of grip normally. I didnt have to work the tractor all that hard to pop them out. Biggest trees were 4 in diameter at the base. The trailer is about 17cuft and jammed full.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
This is the first time I have put pads on one of the later model Craftsman decks. I've done it a few times on the older ones that had the longer arms. I'm going to install the deck and see how it does, I can always buy a new arm if I have to.
Cannon
I don't know that a new one would be an improvement. The key thing is to get that as flat as possible when closed (you want maximum/even contact across the pad), while getting it fully free of the pulley when the deck is running.

What I'm trying to say is, maybe you can adjust/bend things to get a better fit?

Mike

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,710 ·
A lack of maintenance, and a sprinkle of rust, is how you turn a 10 minute job into a 5 hour ordeal. (n)

All I really wanted to do was fix the brake issue, so I figured I'd pull the wheel to gain access. Nope. Rusted to the axle shaft. Beat on it too hard, and the inner circlip will pop off <-- I learned that one from experience on an MTD machine. So I used a puller, penetrating oil, hammer, and torch. It fought me to the end. I maxed out the puller and mostly destroyed it, but the wheel is still useable.

And of course the reason for the brake not working was that the pins were rusted to the brake housing. I spent more time on this one wheel than I did changing out the engine :oops:

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Is that an impact wrench or just a screwdriver? I've just started using impact wrenches recently, totally changes the game!

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Wow, and it fought you with that? I had a similar experience with a Trac Vac impeller last year.

Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I did another engine swap. I have a pretty dyt4000 that I got for free and had a courage mice destroyed. I then swapped to a 21hp platinum that needs rings after 4years. Now I dropped in a 22hp v-twin. The blades are instant, and it’s sooo much quieter.

61947837275__DDEB9F71-D200-436B-BC93-2C8257BCF18C.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,715 ·
The last piece of the puzzle showed up today; Triple bagger, brand new. I like to buy used baggers, but finding a triple bagger with the correct mount, with soft bags, for a 54" deck is tough. I usually find 2 out of 4 of those qualities. Americanfreight.com took over most of Sears inventory. They have the bagger for $50. Shipping and tax will run it up to about $250 though, :LOL: so not quite the deal everyone wants.

But for my personal machine, I'll take it. I also made reverse a little faster by dremeling out the forward/reverse slot on the hydro lever. I forgot to take a pic of this.

So she's ready to cut some 2021 grass. Maybe another month in New England before everything pops with green color?

·
Premium Member
9,940 Posts
Used my Craftsman Pro to tow my brush collecting rig around the yard and collect the dropped branches from this winter., delivering them to the burning pit.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,718 ·
I got another machine with the infamous Turn Tight steering. It only has 100+ hours on the meter and already showing signs of toe-out. I usually just replace the whole front with an older non-turn tight axle, but I think I'll see if I can fix or improve upon the design first. Right now it takes two hands to turn the steering wheel while in motion.
(internet photos)

·
Premium Member
10,872 Posts
Good luck, looking forward to your steering solution!

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,940 Posts
I don't remember this tractor? I think we need a picture from you with all your machines lined up :D
This is the closest thing I have to a family picture. It was my winter setup 3 years ago. The Craftsman was at my son's house at this point in it's life, and I hadn't upgraded my plow blade yet. I'll keep looking for more pictures of the Craftsman.

1701 - 1720 of 1767 Posts