My Tractor Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1605 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
That was much to much work for LT. Dad bagged all the grass which I read was harder on a mower. I'm sure he did regular oil changes, grease and air filters and that's about it. Probably didn’t blow out the cooling fins at all.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
First I've heard of bagging leaves being harder on a mower. MAYBE the tranny, but not any more than towing a heavy cart load. The engine shouldn't know the difference.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Just the small amount of extra power needed for the bagger won't do it, but debris in the fins and/or if the air filter gets extra dirty from debris from the bagger (my Gravely ZT XL would), those would certainly speed up the process...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't really know if it's much harder I just remember reading it a few years ago. I blow out the fins and mower deck on my Gravely ZTX. It didn’t take long to find an extra 1/4 acre to mow when I got the ZTX.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,586
For me, a bagger puts more dust/debris into the air than other methods, so I could agree with the statement. Well, the transaxle living through three engines and three acres is a good sign.

The antiscalp wheels on the 42" deck have been riding on the ground their whole life and are now more of a flat shape than rounded, but the deck appears to be in good condition and the bearings all sound quiet.

One thing I forgot was the electric PTO and drive pulley were missing. I'll have to look through my parts bin for those pieces.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Dust in the air? Hadn't thought about that, I guess that could be a problem, unless you keep the filters clean and well sealed in the housing (add grease to block any gaps). If you see dust in the intake, that's not good...

Mike

Reactions: Ken22

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Agreed. But if that stuff is also getting caked around the cooling fins, that could also be a factor.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Should be an easy swap. Hopefully the Hydro Gear transaxle is ok. I won't know until the engine is completely installed and operational. The only custom item will be adding a vacuum port for the fuel pump. Initially I'm thinking a hole in the valve cover would work.
I hope it goes well! My Command has a vacuum operated fuel pump. But if that ever had a problem, it seems like an electric one could be an appealing solution. Maybe simpler to connect, no drilling holes, etc.

Just for my curiosity, why would you be looking to go vacuum, vs electric?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,590
Just for my curiosity, why would you be looking to go vacuum, vs electric?
I'm not sold on the small electric pumps. I tried one and it overpowered the carb fuel needle. I set it aside for some time, and when I tried to use it again on a different project, it wouldn't run. The internals were locked up.

The vacuum pumps are simple, cheap, and if they fail (compared to the Kohler mechanical pumps), they don't dump fuel into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I don't even think it can suck up wet leaves with that high of a climb. But your right, you have to left it up a foot or more to empty it. Maybe drill some quarter inch holes on the bottom to drain the water out.
It looked to me like he had a bucket within a bucket, so you'd have to lift the inner bucket up 3-4 feet vertically to remove it?

I never had problems with wet leaves with stock baggers, and those chute angles were pretty steep. Until the buckets were full, of course.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
New in town so greetings to all. Do to or on today? Well . . . another round of eyeballing this Hydro 331-3000 sitting on the floor in front of the GT5000 debating whether I'm going to ask the Kohler 25 not only to drive it but push it around as well. I'm in the "research & development" stage of a selective 4WD conversion and exploring options. I've posted a request for intel on the diameter of the bull gear but haven't heard back. About an hour online looking for specs including the manual(s). Found three dozen places I can buy it however, only two that even listed the number of teeth. I'd like this so I could figure out another lighter box without radical gear swaps etc. and I'll fab the CV's myself. This one's a "reserve apparatus" at the barn and has not or ever will see a deck so the PTO's "fair game" as the 420cc's going directly onto the blower. Best to all this new year . . . JJFIII

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
You might google for images of that gear, as there should be pics of it that you can get the tooth count yourself...

·
Registered
21 Posts
You might google for images of that gear, as there should be pics of it that you can get the tooth count yourself...
Hey Dave. I looked through Images and saw lots of teeth, what I'm looking for is the diameter. I might be I'm way off course with this thought and please, school me if I am. If I opt to mount this identical 331-3000 up front for this 4WD conversion, as long as I match the sizes of all pulleys involved the ratios will stay consistent . . . not a problem. If I go with a lighter weight gear box arrangement I should be ok if the gear in that is the same as in the caboose. I could venture a ball park estimate of the diameter by the dimensions of the housing however, the calc's for the front box wouldn't be as reliable as I'd like for me to continue that route. Sounds involved however, I'm really enjoying the challenges and if I'm not confident with the conversion right now . . . "no harm no foul". Got a "MAYDAY" call from the barn one time with a report about a "problem" with a machine I'd hastily repaired (R.✝.P.) . . . told me it sounds like if you poured BB's into a running blender . . . . JJF✝✝✝

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Welcome, JJF!

Tug duty for the GS6500 yesterday. Loaded the 10 cuft carts 5 times in total...

Mike

20210109_130059.jpg
20210109_164500.jpg

·
Hawaiian Hobby Farmer
76 Posts
Tug duty for the GS6500 yesterday. Loaded the 10 cuft carts 5 times in total...
Your post of firewood collecting reminds of younger days, but glad that they are no more. Looks way too cold for me now and there isn't any snow yet.
I am just a little envious of the property:cool:. Tree filled and real dirt that stretches forever. So many possibilities!

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
No, moved to MA about 15 years ago. Where are you located?

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
I've been using that name for quite a while longer than I've lived here, although 15 years (here) is the longest I've lived in the same house, apartment or even city/town.

But, I was born in RI, and lived there for 36 years (minus one academic year in NY).

Mike

1581 - 1600 of 1605 Posts