My Tractor Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1404 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ditch the accessory lights?

Do they all list current draws on them? You may need to figure out how much light you can "live with", and disconnect the rest. I guess if you could wire in switches for them, you could select the lights that were most helpful.

Otherwise....
I might upgrade from the 15 amp to the 25 amp system for my engine, off topic for this thread though, carried on here: Kohler CV25 Stator/Rectifier upgrade?

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
I don't believe it's the gas cap. I've been that route. Not sure plugs have ever been changed. Need to pull and clean them at least. I hate messing with valves, but I guess I need to pull the covers and see what they look like.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Are you still getting spark after it stalls?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Holy crap, lucky you!! That is a pretty awesome deal, congrats!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Holy crap, lucky you!! That is a pretty awesome deal, congrats!
i'm giving the setup to my dad as a gift, he is moving to a large parcel of land and has a 3 acre long driveway, he'll need it :)

i guess the original owner didn't know what he had.. a bunch of other people came and looked at it but didn't realize a GT is a lot bigger than the LT they probably need for mowing their 1/2 acre yard

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Are you still getting spark after it stalls?
Yeah, because it will refire and restart. I need to blow out the whole fuel line path from tank to cylinder I guess. Not sure how much I can do to or with the fuel pump, but I guess I'll find out.

Today it only ran about 10 minutes before sputtering and stalling. Once restarted, it would run for a short time again. Did that about four times before I parked it. Choking it helps some, but not a lot. Also getting occasional backfiring.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Backfiring, to me, is a hint that it might be an issue with valve clearances. If the clearances are too tight, the valves may not close fully once the engine gets hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dont know what i did to mine. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. Somehow in the restoration/rejuvenation of my gt18 I've messed up my deck height. I've had to put a bolt as a spacer on the connecting rod for the attachment lift lever. Setting it down the lever only goes 3/4 the way down before it hits the ground flush on both sides. When I first got it it went all the way down and had about an inch clearance with the ground still.

I just don't know what I've done by pulling the release pins and removing the belt. It makes no sense its gone screwed. #AngryFace

3,131 Posts
i'm giving the setup to my dad as a gift, he is moving to a large parcel of land and has a 3 acre long driveway, he'll need it :)

i guess the original owner didn't know what he had.. a bunch of other people came and looked at it but didn't realize a GT is a lot bigger than the LT they probably need for mowing their 1/2 acre yard
It looks like mine

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts

I'm sure he'll love it! Looks like it's got High and Low range, too?

Great condition, low hours, a solid GT (and aerator) for $100?? How could people pass on that, even if they were looking for an LT? Wow.

My property is nothing like what a lot of people here have, but I'm still very happy to have finally gotten a GT for my suburban yard. Granted, most normal folks probably wouldn't give a hoot about the added capabilities.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
I dont know what i did to mine. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction. Somehow in the restoration/rejuvenation of my gt18 I've messed up my deck height. I've had to put a bolt as a spacer on the connecting rod for the attachment lift lever. Setting it down the lever only goes 3/4 the way down before it hits the ground flush on both sides. When I first got it it went all the way down and had about an inch clearance with the ground still.

I just don't know what I've done by pulling the release pins
and removing the belt. It makes no sense its gone screwed. #AngryFace
Mine has more than one set of holes for those pins to lock into.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm sure he'll love it! Looks like it's got High and Low range, too?

Great condition, low hours, a solid GT (and aerator) for $100?? How could people pass on that, even if they were looking for an LT? Wow.

My property is nothing like what a lot of people here have, but I'm still very happy to have finally gotten a GT for my suburban yard. Granted, most normal folks probably wouldn't give a hoot about the added capabilities.
i think he was just trying to get rid of it. people around here don't really know what they have. every spring i'll pick up 2 or 3 good condition riding mowers that are "broken" for free, clean the carburetor, slap a new battery and oil filter etc on it, and flip it for $500-600 with no trouble at all.

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
Yesterday, it ran good for about 10 minutes then started acting up. Switched to the JD and it was doing more or less the same thing. This morning I opened and blew out both fuel systems. On the Craftsman, I was able to pull the gas line from the fuel pump, gravity drain the gas tank and look inside to see some small debris. Gentle air back pressure blew through the filter. Lots of vapor with no spark close by.

Did similar on the JD but you can't gravity drain it all out due to where the pickup is in the tank as opposed to a bottom outlet.

Shot some carb and other cleaners into both systems.

After adding new, clean gas with a mixture of MMO and SeaFoam, both ran smooth and strong for as long as In needed them to in finishing up the current mowing cycle. I won't know much more until the next time I need to mow.

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
I have a Husqvarna GT (Craftsman GT5000 clone) with a newer Briggs twin that has a fuel problem.

What did you use to blow back through the line, and how did you clean the junk out of the tank?

I'm planning to replace the fuel lines and filter, would recommend you do the same.

Mike

·
Blank Space
3,038 Posts
What did you use to blow back through the line, and how did you clean the junk out of the tank?

I'm planning to replace the fuel lines and filter, would recommend you do the same.
Air compressor with a blow gun, low pressure. Tank cap off so it could vent. Long stick to reach down inside the tank (LED flashlight helps see in there) and break up the clumps, then carb cleaner spray to dissolve what was left. Once done, more carb cleaner spray and Blaster Small Engine Tune Up spray (has a red tint) until I could see the red flowing into the filter freely. Then put the line back on the pump inlet.

Ran it for another 20-30 minutes this afternoon just messing around and no stalling. (Knock on wood).

1341 - 1360 of 1404 Posts