My Tractor Forum banner

1041 - 1047 of 1047 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,041
I'm thoroughly expecting an unpleasant surprise in late Feb/Mar. We've gotten light snow as late as May here, and early April has given us blizzard.

Did some work on the wood today, got through the pre-loaded cart, but decided to de-bark it, which took a lot of time. My 13-year-old son was a huge help, he did most of the splitting and loaded the rack in the garage while I was de-barking with a small hatchet. Needed to run to the store, so we quit before dark.

Also fixed the tabs and tail gate on the cart, which had gotten pretty bent from the abuse with the firewood. Forgot to take before pics today, but if you zoom into the bottom pic below, you can see the lower right corner of the tailgate was bent, and a few of the tabs were pushed out. The tabs were easy to bend with pliers. A dead blow hammer made easy work of the bent tailgate edges.

Mike
Yup, the tail end of those carts can't take much abuse. I reinforced mine with pieces from a bed frame. Not pretty, but solid and will not bow outward.

2,234 Posts
I'm thoroughly expecting an unpleasant surprise in late Feb/Mar. We've gotten light snow as late as May here, and early April has given us blizzard.

Did some work on the wood today, got through the pre-loaded cart, but decided to de-bark it, which took a lot of time. My 13-year-old son was a huge help, he did most of the splitting and loaded the rack in the garage while I was de-barking with a small hatchet. Needed to run to the store, so we quit before dark.

Also fixed the tabs and tail gate on the cart, which had gotten pretty bent from the abuse with the firewood. Forgot to take before pics today, but if you zoom into the bottom pic below, you can see the lower right corner of the tailgate was bent, and a few of the tabs were pushed out. The tabs were easy to bend with pliers. A dead blow hammer made easy work of the bent tailgate edges.

Mike

View attachment 2445750 View attachment 2445751 View attachment 2445752 View attachment 2445764

It looks sturdy with the plywood reinforcement. You have a nice processing area there. Do you use all that firewood?

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Now that I can see it on the computer (vs the phone), I have to ask, is that a custom built 3-point, or did you get that somewhere?
That's an electric sleeve hitch, pretty sure from Johnny Bucket.

It came with that tractor (GS6500), which I bought only because of the JB Jr bucket attachment. The PO did a hack job on the wiring, I've sorted it enough to get it working (most of the time), still have trouble with the switches for the bucket. I plan to build a relay setup with some marine rocker switches (or a joystick).

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Yup, the tail end of those carts can't take much abuse. I reinforced mine with pieces from a bed frame. Not pretty, but solid and will not bow outward.

Funny you mentioned that. Until a few weeks ago, I'd never had a problem with the sides bowing outward (I've owned one of these carts for at least 15 years, the other is at least that old). I was foolishly wedging more wood in there than I should have.

Great idea with the bracing!

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
It looks sturdy with the plywood reinforcement. You have a nice processing area there. Do you use all that firewood?
I've been using plywood since I bought the first one 15 years ago. It just sits in there loosely, so it doesn't reinforce anything, but does save the paint, especially when loading rocks and such.

Yes, we use all the firewood, probably a cord or two a year. We have a fireplace-insert woodstove, which came with the house when we moved in 14+ years ago. It's great, but isn't the largest model available, so we're lucky if it doesn't burn out overnight, and definitely won't last all day when we're at work. But, it sure saves the oil furnace from running all night when the outdoor temps drop below 20.

I used to have unlimited access to wood when my inlaws had a 13-acre property, but that's been sold, so I'm scrounging.

Mike

·
Gravely 2-wheeler
918 Posts
Did some work on the wood today, got through the pre-loaded cart, but decided to de-bark it, which took a lot of time. My 13-year-old son was a huge help, he did most of the splitting and loaded the rack in the garage while I was de-barking with a small hatchet.
Sounds like you need a barking (debarking) spud if you debark regularly. They come in a variety of shapes and sizes - Google it. Here is just one example. Timber Tuff Bark Spud at Tractor Supply Co.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Ordinarily, I just throw it on the pile and let it age. The bark usually falls off on its own when the wood is seasoned. This stuff was pretty wet, so I figured I'd debark it so it would dry out better.

Mike

1041 - 1047 of 1047 Posts