My Tractor Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Have my snowblower (842.242560) in the shop.
Large 45 tooth chain drive sprocket wore out, front bearing on power shaft broke away from the part that holds it to the shaft, which allowed the shaft to spin in the bearing. Shaft wore down about a 1/16th of an inch.

End of shaft in the union to 90° gear box was wobbling and also wore down the power transfer shaft at that point.
Front of lower frame where idler bracket and front bearing both mount has spider cracks. Highlighted the cracks in the one picture with white.
Cracks allowed both the idler bracket and the front bearing holder to flop around. They both attach to frame with the same 2 bolts. Idler bracket on top, front bearing below.

Chain froze in two places. Damage from links riding on top of sprocket. Will replace chain. have replacement soaking in oil.

Waiting on parts to come in. Going to replace the 45 tooth sprocket with a 42 tooth sprocket. Hope to gain a little impeller speed.
Going to move front bearing back 1-1/4" so it can be mounted separate from the idler bracket. Shaft will have 2-1/2" from edge of bearing to the face of the small sprocket. Shaft is 7/8" so I think it will handle the extra strain. This will allow me to adjust the bearing position, with out affecting the idler bracket position. And visa versa.

Also bought a new 15 tooth small sprocket. Might as well replace it while I have it all apart.

Meanwhile welding the cracks in frame and reinforcing that area. Frame is 1/8" steel. Seems rather soft. Adding more 1/8" thick steel to reinforce it.
After some welding I found the frame was curled up where idler bracket mounts. Was able to put 2 pipe wrenches on it and bend it back down. Took a few tries to get it right. Went too far the first time. Steel is soft.

Once parts get here then all go to local machine shop. Need hub for sprocket drilled out for a 1/4" bolt, perpendicular to the 1/4" key.
Then hub welded to sprocket. Need power transfer shaft built back up in 2 places, then machined back down to 7/8".
Small sprocket on shaft milled off and new sprocket welded on.

This is the 4th time I have had to replace that front bearing. Thinking of adding a second bearing half way between the front bearing and the gear box union. Power transfer shaft is 33" long. Not sure about adding second bearing. Will see if all aligns right once I get the parts back. Ordered a second bearing and holder in case I decide to do that. If not, will have one in stock if bearing fails again.

Will do a write up on it all later once I have it all back together.

Still not sure what caused all the damage. May have been the worn sprocket, and chain jumping. But do not know what went bad first. More welding to do today.

Dscf6088 Cracks.jpg DSCF6091.JPG Cracks Bottom DSCF6107.JPG Frame DSCF6109.JPG Dscf6117-W.jpg DSCF6120.JPG DSCF6123.JPG DSCF6127.JPG DSCF6129.JPG

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of damage. Please post pics of the reinstallation, as well as parts modified. Good luck!

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
Taking advantage of the warm weather I dug the DYS4500 out of the snow. The tarp it's under had frozen to the ground. She will be on tug duty Monday for trash hauling.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
More tug duty today. Had a trailer load (20+) pallets, used the GS6500 and one of the Craftsman (Ohio Steel) 10 cuft carts to haul them to the firewood area in my back yard. Most of the pallets turned out to be garbage, but they help when I need to burn brush (mostly fallen branches).

Moving on to hauling firewood for splitting and stacking. Taking a quick break, then going out for a firewood blitz before it gets dark and starts snowing.

Didn't take many pics, sorry...

Mike

20200118_140052.jpg
20200118_144256.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Here are some shots during and after splitting and stacking two cart loads of wood. Looks like I need to upgrade these cart tires, the left one is toast!

Mike
20200118_160243.jpg
20200118_161231.jpg
20200118_161213.jpg
20200118_175503.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did this a few days ago, as it was warm enough to paint. I saw that there was dirt built up inside the headlight lenses. So, I pried them out, and discovered the headlight sockets had silver painted plastic inserts. After cleaning them, I masked the sockets with masking tape and painted them with silver metallic. Once they dried, I did put the plastic inserts back in, and then put the clear covers back on. I kept the inserts because they have a better mirror like appearance, so I figured they reflect better. Then I put in some LED 1156 bulbs. I haven't been able to use it in the dark yet, but I am hoping these put more light in front than the OEM bulbs.
I thought I took pictures during the painting process, but they do not seem to be in my phone.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Tug, tug, tug yesterday the GS6500. Vert little seat time, moved and split four 10 cuft cart loads (2 hours of time running the splitter). My son did all the driving.

Mike

20200202_133940.jpg
20200202_141606.jpg
20200202_144528.jpg
20200202_153845.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have my snowblower (842.242560) in the shop.
Large 45 tooth chain drive sprocket wore out, front bearing on power shaft broke away from the part that holds it to the shaft, which allowed the shaft to spin in the bearing. Shaft wore down about a 1/16th of an inch.

-----------------------------

This is the 4th time I have had to replace that front bearing. Thinking of adding a second bearing half way between the front bearing and the gear box union. Power transfer shaft is 33" long. Not sure about adding second bearing. Will see if all aligns right once I get the parts back. Ordered a second bearing and holder in case I decide to do that. If not, will have one in stock if bearing fails again.

Will do a write up on it all later once I have it all back together.

Still not sure what caused all the damage. May have been the worn sprocket, and chain jumping. But do not know what went bad first. More welding to do today.
I think your idea of a second bearing may help. It's hard to say what the instigator is...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Got the paperweight done and installed! And, I threw a 50# sand bag on top, which was part of the plan. Just in time; we are supposed to get 4-6" of snow Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. More details in my build thread...I'll add the link as soon as I can figure out where to find it.
[edit] found it! Sears Craftsman 247.27038 project tractor

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Got the snowblower back on the tractor. Thought I finally had it working.
Friday had 4" of wet snow. Went out about 4:00PM. Made it about 20", popped the impeller shear pin, and the idler sprocket came off of the drive chain.

Frustrated at another breakdown, cleaned the snow out of the blower, backed it into the garage. Let the snow freeze over night, fixed it in the morning and bright and early went out and blew frozen snow. Went great.

But cleaning out the end of the driveway I did something I usually avoid. Should have known better. End of the driveway is the Bermuda Triangle of the property. Turn flashers on. I checked traffic and backed out on to the highway. Got my rear end out in the far lane, lined up where I wanted to go, pushed forward on the hydro level, and the engine died. WHAT? NOW? Of course now, I'm at the end of the driveway, and I'm out of gas.
Check for cars.

Pull choke all the way out and it would not start and run. Usually it will make it 10 or 20 feet with the choke all the way out when that happens in the yard. But not now, I am at the end of the driveway. Check for cars.

Was not about to go out and lay on the road and push the free wheel lever in. That would have to be plan B.
Check for cars.

I keep a Qt. oil can filled with gas in the back of the weight box. Get out of the cab, grab the gas. Back to the cab, open the door, check for cars, lift out the insulation foam, and unscrew the gas cap. Check for cars.

One car came over the hill. I ran out front to get away from the tractor. They slowed down, (Big surprise), and drove around me. Pour in the gas. Check for cars. Cap back on, check for cars. Don't bother putting things back together. Hop in the seat, check for cars, choke on full, cough sputter. Start, die, cough sputter, start runs, drive back in to the driveway. Scratch my arm pits, and unclench buttocks. Couple deep breaths and I was on my way back to my fuel depot.

Only had one car come over that honking hill. Big relief to be back in the driveway.

Should have filled the tank with fuel before I headed down the driveway. Usually fill it before I put it away after each snow blowing adventure. But with all the test runs I have been making lately lost track of fuel use. Didn't think I was that low.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
I think your idea of a second bearing may help. It's hard to say what the instigator is...
I am still contemplated that. Had trouble with that front drive shaft bearing before. Now will keep a better eye on it. (Yea sure ya betcha)

In a normal winter, which this current one is not, I bring the rig in the garage to melt any snow and dry off overnight, every 2nd or 3rd time out blowing snow.
Will check bearing each time I do that to see if it loosened again.

Seems to me having the idler sprocket mounting bracket and lower power shaft bearing on the same 2 mounting bolts is a poor design. May add a 2nd support bearing mid way, or move single front bearing rearward 1-1/4" so it has it's own set of mounting bolts.
At least for now I have it up and running again. For various and sundry reasons it took me 2 months to get this all sorted out and back out working again.

2,234 Posts
I dusted off my craftsman snowblower and moved it back into the shed from the garage. It doesn't look like I'll be needing it this year. I did start the tractor up and let it run for ten minutes. Same with the generator. My grass is green and there's buds on the plants and trees. We may have an early spring. Temps are way above normal.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
More tug duty planned for this afternoon, after the second flag football game. Should be able to cut, split and stack the remaining wood that was dropped last year.

I also have an oak down in the woods (dropped itself last year but isn't lying on the ground), not sure that I'll have enough time to buck and remove that today.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,306 Posts
The Craftsman Pro YT went on sanding duty today on my ice driveway. Rain and snow tonight and tomorrow will only make it more slippery. 70 lbs of tube sand did a nice job on my 600' driveway.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Looking back 40 or 50 years ago we have gotten snow in March and April.
I'm thoroughly expecting an unpleasant surprise in late Feb/Mar. We've gotten light snow as late as May here, and early April has given us blizzard.

Did some work on the wood today, got through the pre-loaded cart, but decided to de-bark it, which took a lot of time. My 13-year-old son was a huge help, he did most of the splitting and loaded the rack in the garage while I was de-barking with a small hatchet. Needed to run to the store, so we quit before dark.

Also fixed the tabs and tail gate on the cart, which had gotten pretty bent from the abuse with the firewood. Forgot to take before pics today, but if you zoom into the bottom pic below, you can see the lower right corner of the tailgate was bent, and a few of the tabs were pushed out. The tabs were easy to bend with pliers. A dead blow hammer made easy work of the bent tailgate edges.

Mike

20200209_142246.jpg
20200209_135718.jpg
20200209_135715.jpg
20200202_144528.jpg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Now that I can see it on the computer (vs the phone), I have to ask, is that a custom built 3-point, or did you get that somewhere?

Here are some shots during and after splitting and stacking two cart loads of wood. Looks like I need to upgrade these cart tires, the left one is toast!

Mike

1021 - 1040 of 1047 Posts