My Tractor Forum banner

981 - 1000 of 1047 Posts

·
I break things
365 Posts
Might be me, but I cant see any of your pics.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Not just you, B440's pictures have not been showing up for awhile now.
They are not posted to MTF. They are on Google, and you have to be a member of the google group in order to see them.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Beautiful morning, shop doors open and 76* in here. Saw some fluid and I think it was from the fill as the oil is thick and tacky. I wiped everything down and put a shop tower down to see. I ran the fuel line and added a wire harness as I plan to put tail LED’s on instead of the original reflectors. Such a nice day I decided to clean up some more parts for painting and restore, waiting on those to dry. (Water from the hose was warm and pleasant to work with. It is usually scalding). Clean up the wire harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
Not just you, B440's pictures have not been showing up for awhile now.
They are not posted to MTF. They are on Google, and you have to be a member of the google group in order to see them.
Sorry everyone. I didn't know about this. I used google pics because it was easy to link photos, not have to resize anything, and unlimited. It seems they've changed something recently. Working on a fix. I hope this isn't another Photobucket fiasco....

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
Yup, pictures are up. Nice to see what you were talking about.

Did you replace the cooling fan on the trans?

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #989
Wow Larry yours was definitely worse, lol.

No I didn't replace mine. Those little digs on the blades are the product of my very first try at solving what I thought was just the belt falling off (I added more metal to the belt guard), but was really stripped out mounting bolts causing the whole transaxle to tilt down and throw the belt when I pushed the brake/clutch pedal. The fan slightly rubs the guard, err, well... it used to :p

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,940 Posts
No time to empty compost out of the usual pile this year. Time to start chopping and bagging leaves. Looks like ground is going to freeze here next week.

So I pounded in a few fence posts around a circle garden I did not get planted because I could not get compost over to it.
Then set up some welded wire on the inside, and tied it up with nylon baling twine.
Next fall the compost will already be in place! Just till it up and plant day lilies, and spring bulbs.

Cleaned the garden out and put all the removed plants in it.
Removed the carry/tool basket from rear of GT and put the bagger on today and got a start at it. Only emptied bagger 4 or 5 times before it got dark. Back at it tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Yard cleanup, weekend #2, with the GS6500 and Trac Vac. Last weekend, front yard on Saturday, then on Sunday a very small area in the back, basically around the burn pile and firewood stacks.

Also, the boys (13 and 9 now) used the cart to load the firewood rack in the garage.

Today, cleared around the shed and RV and boat parking area. Started working around the garden but ran out of time.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Ditto. Plus, we're always balancing around kids sports schedules, so starting before noon is a real luxury.

Mike

·
I break things
365 Posts
Snow is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday. Decided to get the plow mounted and ready for snow removal. Found a bunch of things that needed attention.

First I noticed that the blade wasn't lifting as high as I remember so figured something was off. The front tires were down to 5lbs; inflate to 20 lbs and gained about an inch. I am running snow hog tires on the front and max inflation is about 25 lbs. That helped but something still seemed a little off.

Second, while hitting up all the lube points find that there is a 3/8 roll pin that is part of the blade lift mechanism that had grenaded. Also saw some wallowing of the holes resulting in additional play while trying to lift the blade. Probably from me pushing back banks last year...I was a little rough. I dont have any roll pins, and am not going to any stores on Black Friday so I improvised by making my own pin. I found a 3/8 bolt with a long portion of the shank that has no thread fit very snug in the hole. Cut off the thread portion, flattened the tip, drilled it for a cotter pin and now have a removable pin. I expect there will be more wallowing to the hole over time, so I will need to reinforce that portion of the lift mechanism in the future, but it will get me through this season. Reinforcement will is necessary if I actually tap into the hydraulics of the K71 to power that blade. I suspect the roll pin was also the weak link in the system that would sheer if too much stress was put on it.

Then noted a couple loose nuts and that the plate that rotates the blade and locks it to different angels had some odd wear. Upon further inspection the blade seemed extra wobbly. The main bolt seemed to loosen, or I never tightened it enough so I had to disassemble that part of the blade, grease, and reassemble.

Should be good to go for now although it may be time to order the HDAPs. I dont want to install the V-bar chains without the ground being frozen.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
Finished up cleaning the engine, not sure what happened to the air filter housing. The inside is not damaged, I'll try and repair this with some plastic mend. Need to go to town anyhow for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #996
Snow is in the forecast for Sunday and Monday. Decided to get the plow mounted and ready for snow removal. Found a bunch of things that needed attention.

First I noticed that the blade wasn't lifting as high as I remember so figured something was off. The front tires were down to 5lbs; inflate to 20 lbs and gained about an inch. I am running snow hog tires on the front and max inflation is about 25 lbs. That helped but something still seemed a little off.

Second, while hitting up all the lube points find that there is a 3/8 roll pin that is part of the blade lift mechanism that had grenaded. Also saw some wallowing of the holes resulting in additional play while trying to lift the blade. Probably from me pushing back banks last year...I was a little rough. I dont have any roll pins, and am not going to any stores on Black Friday so I improvised by making my own pin. I found a 3/8 bolt with a long portion of the shank that has no thread fit very snug in the hole. Cut off the thread portion, flattened the tip, drilled it for a cotter pin and now have a removable pin. I expect there will be more wallowing to the hole over time, so I will need to reinforce that portion of the lift mechanism in the future, but it will get me through this season. Reinforcement will is necessary if I actually tap into the hydraulics of the K71 to power that blade. I suspect the roll pin was also the weak link in the system that would sheer if too much stress was put on it.

Then noted a couple loose nuts and that the plate that rotates the blade and locks it to different angels had some odd wear. Upon further inspection the blade seemed extra wobbly. The main bolt seemed to loosen, or I never tightened it enough so I had to disassemble that part of the blade, grease, and reassemble.

Should be good to go for now although it may be time to order the HDAPs. I dont want to install the V-bar chains without the ground being frozen.
Don't you have the snow/dirt blade? I was hoping that would be heavier duty than most of the Craftsman snow-only plows I have seen.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
More leaf duty with the GS6500, this time with my new-to-me bigger Trac Vac, model 880. I bought it about a week ago, and it needs a few things, but the improved suction and much larger capacity makes it a clear winner.

Will be doing more winter storm prep tomorrow.

Mike

·
I break things
365 Posts
I do have the dozer blade. It is heavier duty than the snow blade but is still not what I would call tough, and to be honest, I am probably a bit rough with it. I keep the blade locked so the spring trip does not engage. I can push more snow and heavier snow with it that way.

I would say that is probably one of the weakest link in the system is the lift mechanism. That roll pin and thin gauge lift arm deforms with impacts. I saw a guy on Youtube with the same blade and had similar wear and wobbles. I will try to take a couple pics.

I want to see who makes the blade so I can order a few spare parts.

·
Premium Member
7,983 Posts
Tug duty for the GS6500 again today. Replaced some pallets, used the cart to pull old ones to the burn pit, and new ones into place (use them to store tractor attachments outdoors).

Also dragged the Trac Vac 380 around, cleared out under the wood deck behind the house.

My 13-year-old son did most of the driving and towed attachment changeouts. He does great going forward, reverse needs a lot of work...

Mike

981 - 1000 of 1047 Posts