My Tractor Forum banner

781 - 800 of 1004 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Wow. Was the replacement an upgrade from Kohler for that engine, or did you swap it from a different model?

Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
Apparently the original cast material was breaking teeth on many flywheels. Kohler updated with steel ring gear.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
The boys and I used the GS6500 and moved 4 x 10 cuft cartloads of firewood from what we had left in the pile on the driveway from the delivery a few weeks ago. As the pic shows, we filled the back half of a two-plus-pallets-wide rack. If that's 40 cuft, that's roughly one-third of a cord.

Pic from earlier in the winter of my setup and team. Forgot to take an action shot while we were working.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I went to get the DLT2000 yesterday to put the deck on it. It was out of gas so I poured about a gallon in it. I continued to smell gas a while after the gas cap was on, looked under the tractor and saw it dripping out on the ground. I caught what was left of it in a Folgers can, rigged up a bottle of gas on the fuel pump and drove it to the garage. This morning I took the hitch plate of and found a hole in the line I had put on it a couple of years ago. I changed the line along with a new tank grommet, poured gas in it and all seems well. I found 3 holes in the line along with what looks like tiny teeth marks.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,816 Posts
I found 3 holes in the line along with what looks like tiny teeth marks. Cannon
At least you can feel good about them or it getting a mouth full of gas.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Frame rails are painted and installed! Even reinstalled the tranny front bracket and the mower supports. Painted them to pay a little homage to the Scarlet King Snake, and to make sure the rear portion was red so I would see it easier.

Attachments

·
I break things
363 Posts
Last Sunday I installed my final set of steel wheel weights. Each wheel has a 50 lb Bolens iron weight on the outside and two 35 lb weights on the inside of the rim. Tires are loaded too. I figure with the washer fluid ballast, rim and tire, I am very close to 200 lbs per wheel. I had a **** of a time picking them up and moving them around...so that is likely pretty accurate.

500 lb tractor, 400 lbs wheel ballast, k71 transaxle @ 60 lbs, full sized battery, gets me to over the 1000 lb mark. Add a 225 lb driver and you are cruising easily at 1250 lbs. I could run my front iron block bumper but i dont think i need it at the moment. The front wheel are filled, and since I rebuilt the front axle the steering is almost effortless.

Once it dries up here, I got leaves to move and sticks to pick up.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Last Sunday I installed my final set of steel wheel weights. Each wheel has a 50 lb Bolens iron weight on the outside and two 35 lb weights on the inside of the rim. Tires are loaded too. I figure with the washer fluid ballast, rim and tire, I am very close to 200 lbs per wheel. I had a **** of a time picking them up and moving them around...so that is likely pretty accurate.

500 lb tractor, 400 lbs wheel ballast, k71 transaxle @ 60 lbs, full sized battery, gets me to over the 1000 lb mark. Add a 225 lb driver and you are cruising easily at 1250 lbs. I could run my front iron block bumper but i dont think i need it at the moment. The front wheel are filled, and since I rebuilt the front axle the steering is almost effortless.

Once it dries up here, I got leaves to move and sticks to pick up.
SVTADAM/I BREAK THINGS,youre right,youre gonna break something :tango_face_smile:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

Attachments

·
I break things
363 Posts
Busy day cleaning out the flower beds and garden of leaves. Still got some more to do, but may have to wait until next weekend. Also cleaned out the chicken run of accumulated manure.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,816 Posts
Mud season here. No grass. Can just see a green hue in the brown grass. 64° Saturday. Spring Peepers calling out in the pond Friday night.
No snow coming or expected so Saturday I took the snow blower attach off the GT.
Saturday night weather they mentioned we may have a foot or more of snow coming this Thursday. Figures.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Split more wood yesterday, cleaned up the rest of the mess on the lawn (from dropping the tree). Burned some more brush and moved some other firewood. Long day, but really didn't feel like I accomplished all that much.

Other than looking at it and thinking about it, I've had zero time for dealing with the beds, garden or lawn.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just finished rebuilding the 11hp briggs on my 1985 502.255750. I burnt oil real bad so I honed the cylinder, put new rings, rebuilt the carb and did a valve job. That thing runs like its new! I have to say, that engine had LOTS of hours on it, it just goes to show how bullet proof those old L-heads are! I have not seen much info on my tractor so if anybody knows anything about it please let me know! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I like that setup! It's got everything you need to make firewood. I need to put my splitter up on ramps too.
Thanks!

Today, my oldest son and I cleaned up the remainder of the firewood pile out front (had this delivered toward the end of winter). Got it sorted, hauled (2-3 more cart loads) and stacked, swept up the driveway and got the place looking presentable again.

No pics, was in a hurry to get this done after work and before heading out to an REO Speedwagon concert!

Mike

·
I break things
363 Posts
Thatched my lawn and neighbors lawn. Cleaned gardens. HATE VOLES!!!

Looks like its time to try and grow something they cant decimate.

781 - 800 of 1004 Posts