My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1007 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I start this thread here. I know a few of you putter around on your machine like I do or make small modifications here and there to your Craftsman tractor. I'll begin;

Today I made a bracket/bumper that can hold weights. It's made from the bottom section of an MTD bagger bracket.

I drilled holes in the bracket to match existing holes in the frame. I had to remove the muffler shield to fit it. I may have to make a new shield if I start noticing burned grass spots where I park it.

I settled on two weights. I think they're 35lbs each. I still have to weigh one. I can still open the hood; the bracket is tucked in far enough and the weights sit low enough so they're not in the way at all.

These weights and the V61's will help make tighter turns without sliding. I've already played a bit in the mud and it's working better.

I guess I should break out the deck and clean it up for grass cutting? Early spring!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Weights and tires look great!! I need them, I put tires with nice big tread on mine and it pushes them more than the turf tires :dunno: Too much tread I guess. Even today on pure grass they were pushing...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont have pics but I finally installed the choke cable on my 69 Custom 7. No more popping the hood to start it!
Nice! That would get annoying real fast if I had to get under the hood each time I wanted to start my tractor.

Weights and tires look great!! I need them, I put tires with nice big tread on mine and it pushes them more than the turf tires :dunno: Too much tread I guess. Even today on pure grass they were pushing...
I was actually looking for front wheel weights, but they're hard to find, and I also realized that they'd have to be cast iron as they would take more of a beating being lower to the ground on front wheels.

·
Sears Custom 7
18 Posts
Got around to swapping out my crap seat for a pan seat which i painted. Also got around to doing the outside of the rims too. Its a tractor so i wasnt going to go too crazy lol. Now a 69 chevelle of course but a 69 custom... idk lol. First pic is before. The rest are after. Ill do the back of the rims another time just couldnt wait to see how they looked. Look good to me!! ?

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's amazing what a little white paint can do for the rims. It make the tractor look so much better.

·
I like old Sears tractors
15 Posts
I fabricated some sleeve hitch parts. Used new/old stock 757.252313 parts as the pattern. I bought a used bail, turnbuckle and pivot brackets last year. Didn't have any 1 1/8" rod so I turned the ends down on a piece of 1 1/4" rod. Will also be fabbing the lift bar and extension straps.
Probably won't work on it again until the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fabricated some sleeve hitch parts. Used new/old stock 757.252313 parts as the pattern. I bought a used bail, turnbuckle and pivot brackets last year. Didn't have any 1 1/8" rod so I turned the ends down on a piece of 1 1/4" rod. Will also be fabbing the lift bar and extension straps.
Probably won't work on it again until the weekend.
Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Today was a good day to aerate and overseed the lawn. Didn't get any pics though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
First time this spring I got the tractor out of the shed. All I did was ride around the yard a bit and add air to the tires but it felt great to be on it.

·
I break things
364 Posts
Put the freshly painted and tubed wheels on the tractor. MF grey is a nice contrast to the red. Going to measure for a linear actuator once the boy goes to bed.

·
I like old Sears tractors
15 Posts
Finished the sleeve hitch parts fabrication. See new post titled "Fabricate Parts for Sleeve Hitch 757.252313"

·
Registered
133 Posts
Got to spend about three hours on the tractor today thatching the yard. Beautiful day but cold with 40 deg. temp and windy. Love it.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Installed a cast iron axle on the junker. Looks like I need to replace the right spindle also. I thought the problem might be the stamped axle I removed but no change with the new one.

·
Registered
477 Posts
How hard was it to do the swap? I take it you reused the old spindles?
Not bad. Disconnect the tie rod ends from the spindles. Remove retainer clip from the top of the spindles. Drop them out and remove the bolt from the axle.

Yes I reused the spindles. I assumed the axle was bent because I seen this before on another one I have.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled the aerator in the back trail today. Some grass grows back there naturally, so I figured I may as well give it some love.

It was a little wetter than I liked for aerating, but this area doesn't have to be pretty.

1 - 20 of 1007 Posts