My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been hanging out on a lot of the what did you do today forums, and I have never enjoyed working with any garden tractor as much as I have with my case. So figured I'd like to see what others have done with their Cases as well! Hope to see some cool pics! Maybe even get the thread pinned!? This is my triple 4 working today, moving some firewood to get ready for winter, and then I moved the skeleton of my new duck coop over from where I built it to where I want it. Love that little tractor! Funny thing is, when I bought it I kinda expected a big lawn mower. What I got was a tiny little tractor!

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tiny, but mighty tractors. We had severe winds in the Midwest and I'm still cleaning up down trees and branches. This pine I was able to drag out without having to cut it up first. Just part of a day's work for Case 646

Reactions: imstihlaguy

·
Registered
425 Posts
After harrowing my summer fallow garden with my 446 I wanted to level my the sleeve hitch. It was 1.4⁰ low on the left side. I got 1070 big brother to help. I put the the right side under the FEL and used a 6 ton hydraulic jack and jacked the left side up 4.3⁰ above the the right side. I got it to .9⁰ low. I jacked it back up to 5⁰ above the right side and got it to .7⁰ lower on the left. As I was going to jack it up again I noticed the pin and bracket at the front of the arm moved. The bolts holding the pin and bracket were loose. After tightening up the bolts it was level 🙂.
20200818_200036.jpg
20200818_200134.jpg
20200818_200147.jpg
20200818_200644.jpg
20200818_200804.jpg
20200818_200857.jpg
20200818_203053.jpg
20200818_203119.jpg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Cleared out some snow drifts with the re-engined 446. P220 is clearly overkill, but powered through hard drifts easily. Any fears of it being money/time not well spent are gone, she's a snow munching beast! :cool:

B43M was replaced due to excessive oil consumption and possible rod knock. Happened into the P220 and it turned out to be a good candidate for an overhaul.

Taken at completion a few weeks ago ..cause we like pictures right? ;)

Al

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cleared out some snow drifts with the re-engined 446. P220 is clearly overkill, but powered through hard drifts easily. Any fears of it being money/time not well spent are gone, she's a snow munching beast! :cool:

B43M was replaced due to excessive oil consumption and possible rod knock. Happened into the P220 and it turned out to be a good candidate for an overhaul.

Taken at completion a few weeks ago ..cause we like pictures right? ;)

Al

View attachment 2479720
[/QUOTE
In my opinion, you would be wise to keep the B43M because you have a highly collectable Black Frame Case. Change the crankcase oil and put fogging oil in the cylinders prior to placing the engine in storage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got this one all outfitted for winter. Still a couple things to do before any hard work gets done. On that note, this is my first winter using a GT for snow removal, any tips or tricks I should know? Especially in regards to starting up from frozen?
20201121_144203.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can think of a few things that might be helpful for snow removal.

1. Cast iron wheel weights -minimum - 2 per wheel.

2. loading the rear wheels with beet juice. 90 lbs per wheel

3. rear counterweight

4 some heavy blankets to cover the entire tractor with a 100 watt light bulb place underneath.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Use the recommended oil from the manual for the expected temps. With lighter oil, keep a closer eye on oil consumption.

Before the heated garage, I parked the 446 next to the truck with the truck plugged in. Could start the truck to boost the 446.

A primer bulb or electric fuel pump are good aids for cold weather starting...saves cranking to get fuel if the tractor has not run for a while.

Once you get the engine running and warmed enough to run with the choke off, continue to warm it up at 3/4 throttle with the transmission in neutral and travel lever in forward...this will help warm the oil, drive motor and rear end. How long will depend on how cold things are.

Before you start blowing, cycle the blower up and down...if it's cold, it'll move pretty slow at first but will get faster as warmer oil gets to the lift cylinder.

My yard and driveway are gravel, I keep the blower up a little the first couple times. This keeps most of the rocks out of the blower, and eventually results in a layer of packed snow...I call it my "base". With the base established, the blower will largely glide right along. If you have trouble steering, lift the blower a tiny bit to put more weight on the front tires.

Think ahead about where you're blowing snow TO...it's a bugger to move a mountain of frozen snow three months into winter.

Snow in the face kinda sucks...learn to work with the wind. ;)

Al

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. All things I have considered. Oil change will be happening this year yet, I thought about filling the tires, but I use this guy alot all summer and don't want to be that heavy for mowing a such. I would love some wheel weights but I have not been able to find. And the blanket thing is a good idea. I will try to find one.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I respectfully disagree that the "blanket thing" is a good idea...it could possibly (likely) melt insulation on wires and / or start a fire ....the heater pad can be attached directly to the engine so all the heat goes to the engine itself ...you plug it in for about 15 minutes before going to start the tractor....much safer and less expensive to operate than leaving a bulb on all the time....I know that I am a safety nut

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I respectfully disagree that the "blanket thing" is a good idea...it could possibly (likely) melt insulation on wires and / or start a fire ....the heater pad can be attached directly to the engine so all the heat goes to the engine itself ...you plug it in for about 15 minutes before going to start the tractor....much safer and less expensive to operate than leaving a bulb on all the time....I know that I am a safety nut
I wasn't going to do the bulb, just a blanket or tarp to keep it out of the snow

·
Registered
24 Posts
When working on or around machinery one must always be on guard for fire. Covering this GT with several old blankets that reach the floor on all sides, creates a tent effect. A single 100 watt incandescent light inside. say.....a proper trouble lamp enclosure and placed well away from all combustible sources, is not going to create a dangerous situation.

Assuming that the ambient temp OUTSIDE of the tent falls to zero degrees F overnight, the purpose of the lamp is to try and raise the tent temp to perhaps 32 :F tops. This is a far cry from the temperature required to cause the old blanket to burst into flames. These sorts of discussions require the reader to use their head and perhaps do some testing in a safe environment prior to implementing the suggestion. :Safety is always JOB # 1 but let's not go overboard on the caution side either.

Cold weather starting is a very real problem and there is nothing more annoying than owning a nice GT that refuses to start due to cold weather. All we are doing is exploring possible solutions to this problem and this method has been used many times by many people over the years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wasn't going to do the bulb, just a blanket or tarp to keep it out of the snow
The problem with that is the battery will remain cold, as will the eingine oil, the hydraulic oil and the gasoline. COLD works against you in many ways. Warming the entire tractor goes a long way toward beating the COLD.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
No one can really "go overboard on the caution side"...that being said...your comment "a proper trouble lamp enclosure and placed well away from all combustible sources, is not going to create a dangerous situation" gives pause for thought...the tent you suggest becomes a trap for gasoline fumes and the entire tent atmosphere becomes a combustible source...I do agree with you that "this method has been used many times by many people over the years. "...I only know one guy who did it ....that 1 person was fortunate that the tractor was the only thing lost in the fire it caused...a "trouble light" is just that .... a light..... not intended to be used as an unattended source of heat...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So in my search for some wheel weights, a guy asked if I want these... will they fit? Lol I know it's a dumb question but did case make weights that look like this?
Screenshot_20201127-174427_Kijiji.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts