My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard too many answers on this and seen too many different answers to know what to do. This really isn't a push-mower specific question, but since its about my 2 walk behinds, I stuck it here.

I've been told that it's not good to repeatedly get the mowers wet because invariably you can't get to all the nooks and crannies and so you will be rewetting old dried up grass making it into a caked on material that promotes rust. I was told to just blow them off with a leaf blower and wash them one time, really well, at the end of the season.

What do you guys do after each weeks mowing?

·
Registered
682 Posts
I just use a leaf blower. I may very ocassionally wash them like once a year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't do anything after mowing. With the Lawn-Boy 10324 I do occasionally rub off most of the crud on the underside of the deck with a wooden scraper. This mower seems to collect a lot of clippings under the deck unlike other mowers I've owned. I've never cleaned the deck on my garden tractor but about once a year I go over the hood with a dust mop.

Until this year I had never washed a lawn mower and I'm 82 years old. The Yardman I bought new in 1998 was never washed until I decided to sell it this year. Although none were dirty I did power wash the three Lawn-Boys I bought this year to see how much a wash and wax would improve their appearance. I suppose it made them a bit more shiny but it wasn't worth the effort. I think it made the 8243AE look worse making the difference between the faded and non-faded parts of the shroud more obvious. I keep putting off washing the Honda mower I've had for a month and probably won't wash it until I'm ready to sell it.

The only rust on my Yardman after 12 years of non-cleaning was on the left side of the deck where the paint got fence rubbed and it was just light surface rust. I just ignore any dust and clippings that might accumulate on my mowers. There's not much and it usually bounces to a different spot the next time I mow.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts
I don't do anything after mowing either. My grass is pretty dry when mowing (our soil is very well-drained), so rust isn't generally a problem. I do clean the mowers every few months just for my own satisfaction and enjoyment, but in terms of "preventative maintenance", all I do is check the oil before mowing. No cleaning is done in terms of getting grass/leaves out of the bottom. It stays pretty clear under there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
So, you all use lawn mowers over again? :biglaugh:

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
My routine on all my properties and at the school I work for entails mowing, then trimming and then using the leafblower last to blow off the sidewalks then the machines.

I use compressed air every so often to get the detail stuff like carbs and engine cases to keep the buildup under control.

At the end of the season and when conditions are really dusty/wet I wash them down with water but I try to avoid that at all costs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm really leery of washing the equipment with water. Seems like to me there's more stuff on a mower that could be harmed with water rather than helped. I used compressed air after everytime I mow, and try to get the nooks and crannies as best I can. I don't care if the equipment's nice and shiny. However, I've seen a few of the other members post pictures of their machines after they've been washed AND waxed, and it does look very nice!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
leaf blower works, compressed air, someplace, i forget the seller, there's a piece that hooks up to a hose(clips on to the side of the deck&directs water underneath) &it washes off the crud while the mower's running.
almost forgot one of those computer duster cans, works great for getting stuff out.
if i had just mowed&its been humid out, i scrape off the wet stuff right away
for the top side i wet a rag or paper shop towel with armor all&wipe it down a few times a year

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,127 Posts
My routine on all my properties and at the school I work for entails mowing, then trimming and then using the leafblower last to blow off the sidewalks then the machines.

I use compressed air every so often to get the detail stuff like carbs and engine cases to keep the buildup under control.

At the end of the season and when conditions are really dusty/wet I wash them down with water but I try to avoid that at all costs.
I too am leary of using water, it has a tendancy of getting where I don't want it. I do occasionally use water but I am very careful to keep it away from the fuel cap and intake. I usually rotate out the air filter element with a clean one after washing. I am very anal retentive when it comes to the air filter element and fuel cap area. I always clean the area around the fuel cap with a rag prior to unscrewing the cap just so debris doesn't fall into the tank.

·
My kid @ W.H. gift shop:
7,984 Posts
You dont want to spray cold water on a hot engine. When I was mowing 2x/wk in FL I would carefully spray the underside of the deck and stay away from the block, then run the engine to let the blade fan-dry the underside so the water doesnt sit there.

Here in Alaska, the grass grows fast when it grows. So I mowed twice this year. Might mow a third time, just cuz I like my lawnboy mower.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
I mowed a buddy's yard the other day with my 7268.
Water grass, crab grass,, real wet.
All I could find in the truck after I got done was a snow scraper,got the job done tho.
It was a mess.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I sometimes will blow off the clippings off with compressed air. When the stuff gets really caked on hard underneath, I will either scrape it or pressure wash the whole mower off top and bottom.

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
I use the leaf blower to mow the whole mower off. I also slip off my shoes and blow my socks so I don't bring grass clippings into the house.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use the leaf blower to mow the whole mower off. I also slip off my shoes and blow my socks so I don't bring grass clippings into the house.
Ha Ha funny, I didn't know you could mow the grass off the mower and your socks!:biglaugh: :thThumbsU

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I also forgot to mention I made a homemade deck scraper from a 4" putty knife that I rounded the corners off and it works great to keep the buildup off the bottom of the decks in the spring when the growth is its thickest and usually moist and juicy...yuck! Of course this is an issue I have since I mulch year round...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts