My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i replaced the carb on on Yardboy Tiller (w/ briggs intek horizontal) and it ran just fine. I changed the oil, put the airfilter assembly on. I tried to start it and i think I heard something pop in the area of the recoil assembly. the recoil assembly seems to work fine but now I cannot get the machine started.

i took the air filter assembly off and tried to start it. no start but there is a puff of smoke and gas that comes out of the carb itself.

I was running perfectly, then now nothing but backpressure.

Did I just break the flywheel key? how?

Any ideas are appreciated. I will pop the flywheel today to see. wish me luck.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
doubtful, it wouldnt make a pop. probably just one of the pawls slipped over its notch and onto the next notch.

Check for spark, check for compression, and fuel...

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doubtful, it wouldnt make a pop. probably just one of the pawls slipped over its notch and onto the next notch.

Check for spark, check for compression, and fuel...
Red-
Thanks. I will check for spark, compression and fuel.

I will say though that when I pull to start, one in 5 pulls will do a kickback.

I thought I was done with this beast but I'll have to spend more time sorting it out. ugh.

ben

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
compression >90psi
has spark- has a new plug
has fuel

- another couple of observations--

-sometimes it is hard to pull (almost like the rope will break)
-raw fuel is dripping out of the muffler!!??!!!

help!

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i started taking the carb off. lo and behold, the whole intake manifold was filled to the brim with gas.

so i take the new carb off, take it apart to see if the float has a crack. all is well.

i put it back on, take the spark plug off and blow out the hole with air.

i tried to start it. no start but i see some flame coming out of the carb.

what does this mean? is this just a symptom of the flooded engine? should i just let is air out first?

or is this a sign of a flywheel key issue?

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Id take the plug out, turn the ignition OFF..and pull it through a few times, blow air down the plug hole and stuff.

Then put the plug back in...leave the ignition OFF..and pull it a couple times, no choke. If it feels normal, turn the ignition on...if it kicks back, its slipped timing.

·
Ben's Lawn Mower Repair
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
give Red a cigar!

the flywheel key was sheared.

still scratching my head as to how this happened but thanks to Red the Oracle of the forum.

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Dont see many sheared keys on those engines, in fact I dont think ive ever seen one. But then id never see na sheared key on an Onan Performer series..until mine sheared for no apparent reason.

·
Keeper of the bees-Now deceased
2,409 Posts
I would change the oil as it probably has gas in it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts