My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have scanned this forum for a long time and finally decided to join. My lawn has been destroyed by the snow plow for the last time! I'd like a Case tractor with a snowblower that can handle a 14'X210' paved driveway in New England. There are a couple late 70's Case 210 and 220 tractors for sale in my area with 38" blowers on them. Are these tractors man enough to handle the task? Should I hold out for a 400 series with a wider blower? How far can one of these 38" blowers throw snow? I really like the Case line of tractors but I'm not sure what they are capable of. Thanks in advance for help/suggestions.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I heard the 200 series is the same as the 400 series but with less ground clearance.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Case garden tractors come in the following models. 210, 220, 222, 224, 226, 444, 446 and 448.

The 210 is the only GT with a 4 speed manual transmission. While it is an excellent unit, it would not be my choice for blowing snow because having hydraulic implement lift and not having to manually change from forward to reverse and back again is just far more convenient when performing an inconvenient task.

The difference between the 220, 222, 224 and 226 is horsepower. 10, 12, 14 and 16 respectively. The second difference could be that a 220 or 222 you are looking at did not come with the hydraulic implement lift as it was an option on those models in the early years.

The difference between a 444, 446 and 448 is also horspower 14, 16 and 18 respectively. All of these models come with hydraulic implement lift as standard.

The only difference between the 200 models and the 400 models is 4 extra inches of ground clearance. All of the tractors are true garden tractors and come very close to weighing the same.

Snowcasters come in two widths. 38" and 48". Both models will fit all tractors. That's one of the big pluses with this brand. You won't find that sort of interchangability anywhere else. The 38" is best suited for the slightly narrower 200 series tractors BUT if the wing kit is added to make it 42" wide, it will work just fine on a 400 series.

The 48" snowcaster was designed primarily for the 400 series tractors but it is quite at home on the 226, 224 and even the 222 if the Kohler is running strong. Naturally, more hp helps move more snow a bit faster but all of the models toss snow 15 to 30 feet depending upon the type of snow and how well tuned the snowcaster is.

Obviously, a strong running 448 with a 48" blower is going to clean your driveway faster than a 220 with a 38" blower will . If you want to see these tractors in action, then go to YouTube and do a search under Ingersoll snowblower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEPo7hIHn5A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l687tGy9EDc

Having a cab like the one in the second video is a nice option.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The only difference between the 200 models and the 400 models is 4 extra inches of ground clearance. All of the tractors are true garden tractors and come very close to weighing the same.
I might also add that the 400 series are about 6 inches wider than the 200 series.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Coming from the same location and owner of both dump truck with plow and a case [446] with blower. The case will handle any storm mother nature happens to give. Say good by to the lawn recovery in the spring. The only thing to remember is maintenance. When and if you look for your tractor to buy, this forum is the place to ask questions, as you have just done. Pricing, and condition is most important. Most of the owners on here have at one time or another have done the search like your about to do, and are more than willing to lend a hand. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info guys. I think I would rather hold out for a 400 series. Those seem to be the most popular for snow removal in the area. I've been looking on Craigslist and ebay and there isn't much to choose from in running condition. There are a few around, but most of them have some type of problem or are out of my price category.

This one looks like it is well equipped, but I really don't need all of the gadgets that go with it. $3k is more than I can get a kitchen pass to spend anyway.
http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1838402269.html

This one is priced low enough that I could spend a few hundred to fix and not sleep on the couch. But, is it too much of a risk?
http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1822448075.html

Either way, I will keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the advice. And Thank you Castoff for going easy on me. I've read some other threads and you scare me a little!:trink39:

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
JSB,
No one should fear me. I am like Shrek. Big, ugly, green but actually quite gentle. Try not to be swayed by those who have zero to contribute to the knowledge of the group but instead choose to criticize me over the wording of my posts. There will always be personalities of this type who try to seek recognition even though they display no real talent for anything.

Now, let's focus on your two links. The first one is actually worth the asking price but as you already noted, the package is larger than your needs. Therefore, it isn't for you. The second one was looking good right up to the point where he said it wasn't running any longer. Oops. Not a smart move on his part.

If the snowcaster is in good condition, meaning it needs nothing, then it's worth $350.00 by itself. A paint job thanks to a half-dozen rattle cans is worth zero. The phrase "lipstick on a pig" comes to mind. We don't know what this tractor looks like. We don't even know the year of it. We don't know how well-maintained it has been. All we know is that it does not run. To me, that instantly makes it a parts tractor worth $300.00 tops. If you buy it and find out it has two broken rods, then you will spend at least another grand to get the engine rebuilt.

The newest it could be is 1988. The oldest is 1980. The extra deck might be worth $75.00 if it works and $25.00 if it doesn't. And if he has a blower, why does he not have tire chains and weights?

When sellers refuse to get their tractors running so that the engine can be assessed, that tells me that they are either hiding something or they're just lazy and stupid. The risk factor on the engine is just far too high to pay $1200.00 for that package. Six hundred? OK.... but much beyond that? Pass.

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
To answer your question. I would suggest buying a 446 CASE or Ingersoll. The 446 was by far the most popular one sold, so parts and knowledge from others that have or had one is abundant. I should mention many parts are interchangeable too. I have 2 myself. The Onan 16 hp model has tons of torque I think it's rated at 32 ft. lbs. It really blows the snow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To answer your question. I would suggest buying a 446 CASE or Ingersoll. The 446 was by far the most popular one sold, so parts and knowledge from others that have or had one is abundant. I should mention many parts are interchangeable too. I have 2 myself. The Onan 16 hp model has tons of torque I think it's rated at 32 ft. lbs. It really blows the snow.
That was what I was thinking. A 30+ year old tractor doesn't stay this popular without good reason.

I have a co-worker with a BIONIC mid 70's 446 that he would not part with for any price. That thing starts, runs and does everything that is asked of it with no complaints. Does tractor envy exist?

·
GET TOUGH GET A CASE!
826 Posts
Yes, case in point, Mjoe7 has TWO, I have only one:crybaby:
lol! I actually have 5 CASE GT's. Two happen to be 446's. One is a 1979 the other a 1984.
Just do lots of this :praying: and maybe one will fall in your yard. :woohoo1:

Let's just say I've had the CASE disease my whole life, and only recently have been able to feed the sickness. lol :fing32:

·
Small Engine Tech
1,481 Posts
I just got my first Case given to me, its a 444 without an engine, but in visiable good shape overall. I am ordering a new engine for it today hopefully and maybe by next weekend I can see how it drives. I am told the high wheel models ride better than the smaller wheeled versions. I just like the farm tractor looks of the tall back tires. I am planning to install tri rib front tires to replace the missmatched and worn out turf tires. She already has a decent pair of Goodyear ag tires on the rear. They are on Power King rims so they tuck in under the fenders a bit more. While I did get a good mower deck, this one will be mainly used for 3 point work and chores. I will use some of our tax return money next spring to get the rear PTO hookups and a 3 point hitch. Good luck in your hunt for a Case. Mike and Michele T

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I just got my first Case given to me, its a 444 without an engine, but in visiable good shape overall. I am ordering a new engine for it today hopefully and maybe by next weekend I can see how it drives. I am told the high wheel models ride better than the smaller wheeled versions. I just like the farm tractor looks of the tall back tires. I am planning to install tri rib front tires to replace the missmatched and worn out turf tires. She already has a decent pair of Goodyear ag tires on the rear. They are on Power King rims so they tuck in under the fenders a bit more. While I did get a good mower deck, this one will be mainly used for 3 point work and chores. I will use some of our tax return money next spring to get the rear PTO hookups and a 3 point hitch. Good luck in your hunt for a Case. Mike and Michele T
Hold on there buster, you don't post something like that without pics, so how about starting your own thread and get us some pics and then progression pics as you complete it?

·
Banned
2 Posts
I have scanned this forum for a long time and finally decided to join. My lawn has been destroyed by the snow plow for the last time! I'd like a Case tractor with a snow-blower that can handle a 14'X210' paved driveway in New England. There are a couple late 70's Case 210 and 220 tractors for sale in my area with 38" blowers on them. Are these tractors man enough to handle the task? Should I hold out for a 400 series with a wider blower? How far can one of these 38" blowers throw snow? I really like the Case line of tractors but I'm not sure what they are capable of. Thanks in advance for help/suggestions.

a 24 of COORS .....Oh sorry i meant to say it depends on what you want .......if they have a decent running engine it should handle a 38 inch blower with no prob at all ..as far as the throwing part that depends on how wet the snow is and how fast you try to feed it

·
Registered
140 Posts
My old case 446 worked great with the 48" snowcaster, clutch seemed like the weakpoint though. Using a 8 hp toro now and i sure miss that 446...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts