My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been getting ready to do some building and have to move cinder block from my driveway to where my addition is going up . can't bring my truck back there so need to move all the block with the tractor and my little trailer .

Well , I am surprised at how much that little thing can handle . The blocks are 46 lbs apiece and I've had 30 block in it (1380 lbs ) and my last load was 24 block (
1104 lbs) . Not sure , but think it could handle more .

I'm thinking I need to put better tires on it before I attempt 40 blocks. Those wheelbarrow tires just seem to be a tad weak for the loads .

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
They sure come in handy. I think most are rated around a 1000 lbs. slkpk

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They sure come in handy. I think most are rated around a 1000 lbs. slkpk
Yeah , that's what this one is suppose to be rated at . I've had the tires squatted so bad though that the rims were actually touching the rubber of the tires contacting the ground .Apparently gravel has some weight to it .

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I put an old set of front tractor tires & rims on my 17 cu. ft. cart and it works great. I had to cut out a little bit of the sheet metal bracing for the wider tires to fit but the axle diameter was the same.

It's a good way to beef up your cart and reuse some old tires & rims. I've had that thing loaded to the hilts and had no problems plus the wider tires don't sink into the lawn. :bannana:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put an old set of front tractor tires & rims on my 17 cu. ft. cart and it works great. I had to cut out a little bit of the sheet metal bracing for the wider tires to fit but the axle diameter was the same.

It's a good way to beef up your cart and reuse some old tires & rims. I've had that thing loaded to the hilts and had no problems plus the wider tires don't sink into the lawn. :bannana:
I've been wanting to do that , but with a set of rears from an old Craftsman II . The only problem is the rim backspacing and depth . They take the same shaft size as the trailer has . Just can't find any sock to replace the axle . Need something about 10" longer .

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Just use the fronts - they work fine and with very little modifications to the cart!

·
15,000 +posts!
20,424 Posts
I put wider tires on a hand truck,and the axle needed to be longer,for them to fit..--not having any 5/8" round stock long enough,I decided to cut the axle in the center, and welded a thick pipe that it just fit into,between the two halves, over it to extend it..

I've lifted some mighty heavy engines and other things with it,and it has not buckled yet,though at first I thought it would!..I guess the axle bearing brackets are what gets the most load..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts