My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The seat is as far back as the factory settings allow but I still need about 1 to 2" more inches for a saftey margin for my belly to steering wheel area.
I'm thinking about a smaller steering wheel. The factory one is 15" so maybe a 14".
I want to put spacers on the wheels and lower the seat a few inches.
Lowering the seat will help with 2 issues. 1) It will make more room between my gut and the steering wheel. 2) It will lower the center of gravity. I imagine a 400lb 6'3" guy riding up hi would make it less stable than if I were a few inches lower.

So what ideas do you have to make a Bolens 1220 more big guy friendly? I'm 6'3" and around 400lbs.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm wondering if you could mount a new plate onto the rear fender pan where the original plate goes. You could make the plate such that it would set farther back and then mount the seat to that new plate. Does that make any sense?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm worried about putting so much weight so far back. It is an option. and if I do move the seat back I would add weight to the front end.

·
tube frame hunter
227 Posts
I'm a big guy too,I don't know the particular rear pan on a 1220,I have 1556 ,g14/h 14 style tractors[tube frames] .but what I did was remove the seat and "u"shaped spring,cut 1 inch off the bottom of the spring. [so it wouldn't bottom out against the rear pan lip when pushed back].I then made the factory slots on the pan assly 1-2 inches longer to the rear so seat can move further back, I then took some 1/8 by 1and1/2 flat stock and made bigger "spreaders" to better distribute the weight to the pan.I wouldn't worry about the extra weight on the rear as many guys run 50-100 weight boxes on the rear especially if you have a blower on the front this time of year some counter balance!My father was a tall fella and the only bolens he could get comfortable on was the XL/eliminator styles.Later Steve!!

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,191 Posts
Great idea Steve, I'm over 6' tall and have 1556's. I'll have to remember your trick.

·
tube frame hunter
227 Posts
Ed I also have 3 1556's and a first year H-16 that is virtually the same just different paint,Its amazing how many 1556's are around for a practically 1 year model! I made those extra big "spreaders" for all my units even the un modified ones takes the stress off the fender pan from the "big- tall guy" leverage the seat puts on it-nice units ED- Later Steve!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Braxx, the steering wheel on a Sears ST12 is 13", not sure of the shaft size, but would possibly fit to gain you an inch or so.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,819 Posts
Sell the 1220 and get a Large Frame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,819 Posts
If you get a Large Frame Bolens, you will never regret it. They are awesome machines, and more roomy than a tubeframe for a larger guy. Plus they have great attachments, too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.