My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than rear engine riding mowers, what else was typically made with transmissions that were basically "box" shaped (non transaxle) with 3, 4 or 5 speeds?

·
20,000 +posts!
20,939 Posts
I still have a few 3 speed Peerless ones off RER's and an old Huffy/Rugg type sit down mower....just about every old Craftsman RER or sit down low HP lawn tractor that had chain drive to the rear axle via sprocket used them too...I have about a half dozen of those axles with a sprocket & diff too, hanging around...

I tried using one of them to power a winch,using a car starter motor to power the tranny,and chain to the winch,so I could have power in/out...it pulls great,but one problem--you cant shift into reverse once there is a load on the cable too easily,I had to go "in"some, and then yank on the shifter hard,to get it out of gear,the torque binds the gears up!..--plus the load can be released while your doing the shifting into reverse!...so I never have used that winch setup much due to that,other than drag a few things into my truck--I originally wanted to mount it on my crane ,but the "cant shift into reverse" dilema with a load hanging on the cable made it rather risky to use for that purpose...I have since figured out how to make a starter motor "reversible",someday I may try doing that ,then I wont even need the tranny on it...(even in 3rd gear it was slow as molasses!)..

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,844 Posts

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I had an old Montgomery Wards 7hp tractor that had a separate transmission, and a chain drive to the axle. Three speed if I remember properly.
Everything else I've seen has been a transaxle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.