My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I stopped drinking and my Drs. and therapists at the rehab facility (Yes, I drank a lot), said what hobbies do you have? You're going to need some new hobbies... since drinking is not your hobby any longer 馃槙

So I went out and bought a Traeger Pellet Grill and started Smoking Pork, Beef, Chicken, Turkeys and Bologna. Man I smoked 4 or 5 turkeys. I smoked probably 150 - 200 pounds of meat. I was giving it away and freezing it.

Then this year I bought a Blackstone Griddle and now I'm griddling 2 - 3 times a week on avg.

I am coming up on one year sober. Saving $400 a month from buying the cheap vodka frees up a lot of money for meat and grilling equipment.

So what you grilling, griddlin or smokin? 馃崡馃崝 BTW, these pics are only a small fraction of what I've cooked. I don't have any griddle pics, I keep forgetting to take them.

Food Ingredient Recipe Kitchen appliance Pork

Food Ingredient Cuisine Pork Dish

Food Mountain Wood Ingredient Beef

Food Tableware Ingredient Kitchen appliance Recipe

Food Kitchen appliance Ingredient Home appliance Baked goods

Registered
Oh man my cholesterol and blood pressure jumped sky high plus I'll have to double up on my heart meds just from looking at all that beautiful pork, but I do/did love it. Nothing better than smoked meat off the grill that's for sure.

Registered
Congratulations on the sobriety!!! I'm coming up on 10 Years Clean & Sober.

I have the Pit Boss Vertical Pellet Smoker and a modified Oklahoma Joe Wood Highland Smoker. Been smoking meat for personal consumption for over 30 years now as the flavor is so vastly superior over the bland store bought "smoked" meat.

Yesterday, I did a sliced boneless ham and a Cajun Turkey Breast, both from Wally World. Last week did a couple of Ghost Pepper brined pork roasts.

What I do is smoke the meat, then slice it thin after it has cooled overnight in the fridge. Use a Vacmaster VP-215 chamber vacuum sealer to make individual 7-8 ounce packets that go back in the fridge or freezer. When dinner comes around, so easy to just grab a packet, cut a small slit and zap it in the microwave for a minute and on to the plate.

Reactions: Brad

Registered
Kids got me a griddle for my small pellet grill for Father's Day. Finally had time to get it seasoned on Saturday. It's carbon steel, not cast iron, but it seasoned just like cast iron. 200 degrees for an hour, then up to 500. I wiped grapeseed oil on it with a rag every 15-20 minutes until it turned black. Probably 8 coats of oil...

Sunday morning cooked bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns...

Sunday night, burgers-n-tots...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congratulations on the sobriety!!! I'm coming up on 10 Years Clean & Sober.

I have the Pit Boss Vertical Pellet Smoker and a modified Oklahoma Joe Wood Highland Smoker. Been smoking meat for personal consumption for over 30 years now as the flavor is so vastly superior over the bland store bought "smoked" meat.

Yesterday, I did a sliced boneless ham and a Cajun Turkey Breast, both from Wally World. Last week did a couple of Ghost Pepper brined pork roasts.

What I do is smoke the meat, then slice it thin after it has cooled overnight in the fridge. Use a Vacmaster VP-215 chamber vacuum sealer to make individual 7-8 ounce packets that go back in the fridge or freezer. When dinner comes around, so easy to just grab a packet, cut a small slit and zap it in the microwave for a minute and on to the plate.
Thanks, Today is actually officially one year.. congrats to you also! I had looked at the Oklahoma Joes and was going to buy one. I am pretty hung up on griddling for now but still on my list to keep looking for a deal on Marketplace.

Yes, what you descibed is similar to what I have been doing in smoking and vac sealing them and it is very convenient and very inexpensive way to eat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kids got me a griddle for my small pellet grill for Father's Day. Finally had time to get it seasoned on Saturday. It's carbon steel, not cast iron, but it seasoned just like cast iron. 200 degrees for an hour, then up to 500. I wiped grapeseed oil on it with a rag every 15-20 minutes until it turned black. Probably 8 coats of oil...

Sunday morning cooked bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns...

Sunday night, burgers-n-tots...

That's a nice griddle, carbon steel is what they are making a lot of high quality woks out of, good stuff, great to cook on and yes season just like a griddle or wok, HIGH heat and season after every cook. looks awesome.

Super Moderator
Was supposed to be cheeseburgers and grilled french fries down at the beach club, but wifey forgot the cheese :unsure:......I can live without the cheese....she thinks she will die or some disease overcome her if she doesn't have cheese....happy to report that she did eat it with no bad effects
Food Ingredient Tuber Recipe Cuisine
Food Tableware Table Plate Ingredient
Food Water Sky Tableware Azure

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I should have had the cast iron skillet hotter to seer the meat better, but was still pretty tasty, my son made asian potatoes to go with it:

View attachment 2556721
I had to look up what this was, hadn't heard of it. Sounds great. My wife and I like this kind of food, may have to try a recipe on the griddle this weekend.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fired up the smoker and the griddle tonight. I dumped one of my grow bags of potatoes a little early and picked some zucchinni and snow peas and made a veggie mix on the griddle. Turkey burgers, hamburgers and brats on the smoker and griddle.
Plant Grass Compost Terrestrial plant Soil

Food Ingredient Recipe Asphalt Cuisine

Food Ingredient Recipe Cuisine Baked goods

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
It has been my pleasure over the years to cook on quite a few charcoal grills, some of which are quite nice, but my all-time favorite has been the Weber 26 kettle grill. This is a simple, affordable, porcelain finish, roomy, easy to clean, and just flat out cooks.
I love a burger or brats over charcoal but my wife says she can taste the starter fluid no matter how long I let it burn off. She is a picky eater.

This makes me want to try the charcoal Webber though.

Registered
I've done away from the lighter fluid altogether for years now. Instead, I use a stainless steel chimney and light the hardwood bulk charcoal with a Mapp gas torch. The stainless steel chimney outlasts the cheap metal ones by years, I paid around $30 for it a few years ago. It sits outside year round and other being blackened by use, still has years left. You can use either a propane or Mapp gas torch. Takes about 45 seconds to light the charcoal with the torch and about 20 minutes for the entire chimney to be lit and placed into the grill.

Reactions: Country1966?

Make Smoke, Boil Water!
...my wife says she can taste the starter fluid...
ICK!
I sympathize with her! I can totally taste that kerosene...

My BIL is a cheapskate know-it-all who wants to save charcoal, so he takes the coals from his cheap flat grill and throws them into a coffee can of water. Anybody here knows that if you get charcoal the least bit wet that it's a real bear to get it going.
But you can't tall my BIL that. Instead he hoses it down with lighter fluid, which means anything he "cooks" over the resulting trash fire tastes just awful.
I've done away from the lighter fluid altogether for years now. Instead, I use a stainless steel chimney
AMEN! I'd grilled for years with a Weber. Had to sell it due to my mobility (long story), but what I used in my chimney starter was everything from the Sports scores to the stock sections of the newspaper, or just some torn-up cardboard. Anything "clean" without toxic inks or stuff. Weber also makes these little paraffin cubes that you can put under your chimney starter (only takes one), touch a match to it, and your charcoal is ready to go pretty quickly. They're pretty cheap at our local discount store.

Reactions: Country1966?
1 - 19 of 18 Posts