My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
17021 - 17040 of 18742 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
The bead breaking and lifting those 65lb tire and wheel combos is what got me. No good way to put them on the machine with good body mechanics.
Maybe a lift cart?

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,022 ·
Maybe a lift cart?

Mike
It's a combo of the lift, holding the tire up while trying to get the anti-rotation stem in one of the lug holes, and bending over at the waist due to my bad knee not letting me squat.

Also pushing up on the bottom of the stiff sidewall tire to get the bottom bead up in the rim groove so you can pry the beads over the rim. Not worth it in the backache I'm feeling today.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Sometimes it's best to also recognize when a different solution is better. Even if that involves not being able to do it ourselves, and paying someone. As unappealing as that may be :)

• Love
Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
👍
@mikeinri ...there should be a safety device called a thermo pile that should sense the flame and shut everything down if the flame does not ignite......it is really something to look into,...if the gas had been on it could be lethal
Yes, and the LP detector has been on the fritz (lots of false alarms). This has a relay that controls a solenoid, which shuts off the flow of LP at the tank.

I have zero plans to use the furnace before fixing the problem. Will also replace the detector.

Mike

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
Picked up one of these this morning. The bucket is pretty flimsy, and the whole thing is much lighter than my old one. But, it was about half the price of the next one up, and will be a beater...
Looks to be a 4 cubic foot model. I prefer to go bigger, but I can never have too many wheelbarrows. I can never find an empty one to use as the wife always has something in every one. Every year I complain about it and her answer each time is "it's temporary, we don't need another wheelbarrow. I've ignored her a few times and bought more of them but still cannot find an empty one when I need one. I'm up to 3 single wheel and 3 double wheel ones now. You'd think at some point I'd be ahead of the game...
/rant off

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,026 ·
I'm in the holler behind the house clearing a path for leaves. Gonna blow and plow them out of the back yard this way. I put in a double gate out the back of the yard for this last year. This is all my land so no worries about neighbors complaining.

Plant Plant community Natural landscape Wood Tree

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
@LLigetfa I have a nicer, larger wheelbarrow (I also have several tractor carts). I need a small wheelbarrow that the boys can handle. Sometimes, it's just a lot quicker and easier than using a tractor and cart.

@Steve Urquell What's a holler???

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
39,340 Posts
You're going to love being able to just push them out to the woods. It creates a compost pile that normally is gone by the next year too!

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
@LLigetfa I have a nicer, larger wheelbarrow. I need a small one that the boys can handle.
Size doesn't matter... the wife ties them all up big or small. She even ties up my big 10 CF poly cart that I tow behind the tractor.

I bought a small 5 CF two-wheel cart for myself but she liked the stability of it and expropriated it so I bought a second one for myself. Guess I need to buy a few more... {sigh}
Wheel Tire Product Garden tool Tread

Since she stores some of them in my woodshed, it is running out of room so I will need to build a bigger one.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
The bead breaking and lifting those 65lb tire and wheel combos is what got me. No good way to put them on the machine with good body mechanics.
It maybe time for us to mount one of those cheap HF electric lifts above our machines. I found out long time ago my HF tire machine just doesn't like any tire with side walls 6 ply and over. I have drilled a hole for lug bolts in the tire mounting flag on the machine. That locks the wheel from rotation at two locations and reduces the tension on the hold down clamp. I don't have the machine for GT front tires. I just use the tire spoons and concrete slab.

·
Registered
6,145 Posts
What's a holler???
It is a hollow, otherwise known as a low spot.

I put all my scrap wood in a hollow but it is too far away to just plow the leaves into it. My leaves get dumped from my sweeper in a large flat spot that I then push together and later turn with the tractor. I have three piles now, one that is well composted and ready to use, another that has a few years worth of leaves, and a new one I started this year.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
@LLigetfa I have a nicer, larger wheelbarrow (I also have several tractor carts). I need a small wheelbarrow that the boys can handle. Sometimes, it's just a lot quicker and easier than using a tractor and cart.

@Steve Urquell What's a holler???

Mike
Man someone from Arkansas that doesn't no what a holler is. My guesses (ravine, ditch, gulley) there maybe others. Don't confuse them with hog and buffalo wallers.

·
Premium Member
5,808 Posts
Size doesn't matter... the wife ties them all up big or small. She even ties up my big 10 CF poly cart that I tow behind the tractor.

I bought a small 5 CF two-wheel cart for myself but she liked the stability of it and expropriated it so I bought a second one for myself. Guess I need to buy a few more... {sigh}
View attachment 2524187

Since she stores some of them in my woodshed, it is running out of room so I will need to build a bigger one.
I like that two wheeler. Now just get ride of the handle bar and put a hitch on it.

·
Premium Member
12,488 Posts
I was thinking small valley, which it sounds like he is describing?

It maybe time for us to mount one of those cheap HF electric lifts above our machines. I found out long time ago my HF tire machine just doesn't like any tire with side walls 6 ply and over. I have drilled a hole for lug bolts in the tire mounting flag on the machine. That locks the wheel from rotation at two locations and reduces the tension on the hold down clamp. I don't have the machine for GT front tires. I just use the tire spoons and concrete slab.
I'd like to see pics of this, especially in use. Sounds like a great mod!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17,037 ·
Got the boss down in the holler/hollow/ravine/gulley pushing trees down in it. 1700lbs of machine and rider don't stop

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Tread

·
Premium Member
2019 JD X570, 1996 JD 445, 2003 L110, 1978 212
757 Posts
Hollers also can be small valleys depending on where exactly you are from.
It's a holler here when someone is down there and you need to get their attention without walking all the way out there. You "holler" at them. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

17021 - 17040 of 18742 Posts