My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
16881 - 16900 of 17281 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
“A SEASON OF SHIVERS” PREDICTED FOR THE U.S.

View attachment 2523686
Well I won't discount what they say and will start getting ready . Thank you .

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,885 ·
  • Love
Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,886 · (Edited)

·
Registered
238 Posts
These 24sps say the brand is Vise-grip which I thought Irwin owned but they are made in China. Did Irwin staart having them made ovwr there?

yeah , for awhile now . now I buy a brand called sure grip , they are made in Spain but they supply snap-on with their locking pliers . very nice quality without the truck prices.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,888 ·
Yeah I found that and edited my post. End of an era.

·
Super Moderator
13,667 Posts
mrbeef, 250 pounds from 8 plants??? Wow! Sounds like you had a heck of a year for gardening! And a diesel air compressor for $80, man, there sure are some good deals out there!

dave_r, if International Apple Muffin day becomes more regular, that sounds delicious. Hopefully not followed by International Dentist Visit Day :)

Steve, how is your wife doing this morning? I hope she is having a good recovery so far.
We had a great year! What we had for tomatoes was opposite for our carrots. Normally we have a bumper crop of carrots - we had five total across two plantings. Luckily some friends had a bumper crop of carrots, so we traded maters for carrots.

When nobody knows exactly how it works and nobody has seen it run, scrap price it was! :geek: I’ll never get that lucky again. I had several folks offer to buy it, for pretty good coin, but then I would have to replace it.

@wachuko that box has some serious history , I would mask over the markings myself and just leave them for nostalgia . looks like a machinist box ?

@mrbeef I love listers , you stole that engine ... we have lots of amish around us and they use them for sawmills and irrigation . I'd like to get my hands on one but they are usually flat worn out . nice raised beds too . what variety of tomatoes do you grow ? beefsteak ? ( I'm guessing because of your username )
Those old tool boxes always have great stories to tell.

The Lister was the whole reason I bough it. Figured I could at least learn about them. I’ve tried to buy several other Listers, with no success.

I’d have to ask my wife about the variety of tomatoes. I’m just the grunt labor, unpaid water bot, and honorary picker. I build the boxes and follow directions until stuff if ready to harvest. Then it’s a team effort to get it in and put up.

Long night. Sundowning patient on the wing jumping up every 5 mins setting off the bed alarm. I wrapped my pillow around my head to drown out the noise at 0230 and slept till lab draw at 0500. Home now to check on the dog. She's fine and sitting in her bed on a heated corn bag.

The wife is fine. Doc will want lab results before discharge. Gonna shower and head back in.

View attachment 2523589
Sounds like everything is turning ok.
Just had the conversation with my wife and she only remotely understands that once you pack a pair of lineman pliers for 5 , 10 ,15 , 20 years that you can't get that wear or patina or spirit , smoothness and how upsetting it would be to lose i personally would rather break and let them have a viking funeral , this is another reason I value you fellows only to lay them down to rust in less than a week .
Back is 2001-2002 when I was buying my first tools. I remember paying $34.95 for these Klein Linemans pliers. Almost 20 years later I am still using them, used them tonight to make a cat excluder device for some

Outerwear Pliers Textile Sleeve Gesture

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Tree Terrestrial plant

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,972 Posts
And we're up to v3.0 for revisions to my fix for the Husqvarna 125BVX vacuum setup (last episode here: What Are You Doing Today? Post a Pic).

I used it today for about 20-30 minutes, vacuuming leaves from a flower bed with a wood chip base, and the liner I made from the carpet worked great, in that there were zero clogs (previously, with the non-modified setup, it would clog very quickly, in just a minute or two). However, a combination of large wood chips (too large to pass through the blower without getting chopped up) and the direction of overlap the liner had, the impeller drove a bunch of the wood chips into the edge of the liner, peeling it up over time:
Green Goggles Automotive lighting Magnifying glass Eyewear

So, I pulled out the liner and made a new one from the other carpet sled I bought. I also decided to put the metal sleeve, previously made and swapped out for the plastic liner, in as well. I did this because the inside of the end of the tube doesn't support the plastic liner all the way around (it just supports it at 3 spots (you can see one in the above pic at the bottom of the tube), and the impeller could jam something into the plastic so it rips it near one of those spots (as the diameter increases a little between those 3 supports). With the metal sleeve, the liner will stay the same diameter, and it should be more difficult for the impeller to jam something into the plastic.

The result:
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Green Automotive tire Vehicle

Yes, there's an extra hole in the liner, as I had checked the direction of overlap by watching the rotation of the impeller and figuring how the overlap should go, installed and riveted it together, then re-checked, realized I had it the same way as the previous version, then took it apart and did the overlap the other way.

5,681 Posts
That's the problem with my vacuum, it sucks up mulch chips too. Jambs up the vacuum propeller. I don't use it. I bought mine to suck up the leaves in the window wells but it sucks up pebbles and anything else in the well. I have ten basement windows wells, I should close some up. This is the one I have. You have to be above the leaves or it will suck up the dirt.

·
Premium Member
I use scissors! Twice a week.
6,972 Posts
It takes some practice to do it, where you sweep just over the surface of the leaves to pick them up, but minimize picking bedding material. You might turn down the speed a bit to cut down on picking up pebbles. I haven't used this Husqvarna on stones, but my Billy Goat walkbehind will pick up smaller stones using the vacuum wand (but deposit them on the block-off plate on the walkbehind's vacuum nozzle) and DR Power-based vacuum will pick up larger stones (they'll kind of hover in the hose inlet, as it widens out a bit and the vacuum can't pull them any further).

But in the end, you just have to accept that it'll vacuum up some stuff you don't want it to...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Yesterday I finalized the assembly of my tractor rear loader by bolting all pieces together and installing the hydraulic hoses.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Next task is to modify the original front accessory mount for snowplow. It is not actually a FEL, so how should I call it?
Tire Wheel Wood Gas Machine

I have found out that there have been at least three slightly different variants of the basically same part with differences in longitudinal arm length and turning cylinder rear mount. I shortened the arm by 125 mm (5") to get it more nimble in confined areas. The plow still has good clearance to the front wheels at all positions. Cylinder rear mount needed to be repositioned anyways since I replaced the beyond-feasible-repair original odd length cylinder with a COTS 40 mm (about 1-9/16") diameter / 150 mm (6") stroke cylinder.

I was also considering to replace the lift cylinder to get more lifting height, but decided to keep it stock as long as the original cylinder is still OK.

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,895 ·
Yesterday I finalized the assembly of my tractor rear loader by bolting all pieces together and installing the hydraulic hoses.
View attachment 2523702

Next task is to modify the original front accessory mount for snowplow. It is not actually a FEL, so how should I call it?
View attachment 2523703
I have found out that there have been at least three slightly different variants of the basically same part with differences in longitudinal arm length and turning cylinder rear mount. I shortened the arm by 125 mm (5") to get it more nimble in confined areas. The plow still has good clearance to the front wheels at all positions. Cylinder rear mount needed to be repositioned anyways since I replaced the beyond-feasible-repair original odd length cylinder with a COTS 40 mm (about 1-9/16") diameter / 150 mm (6") stroke cylinder.

I was also considering to replace the lift cylinder to get more lifting height, but decided to keep it stock as long as the original cylinder is still OK.
It's called a front plow hitch. When I was working on the bucket for my 3240 someone said something that made sense to me on definitions. "If it can "load" material into something then it's a loader. If it can only dump on the ground then it's a scoop."

·
Registered
390 Posts
It's called a front plow hitch. When I was working on the bucket for my 3240 someone said something that made sense to me on definitions. "If it can "load" material into something then it's a loader. If it can only dump on the ground then it's a scoop."
Thank you! Then I do have a rear loader and a front hitch. This far I have used front hitch only for the snowplow, but if I find suitable small and affordable flail mower, which is or can be modified hydraulically driven, then it would be mounted on front hitch as well.

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
One of the most comfortable spots in my 1971 strato is to lay in bed and prop your feet up on the stove top now thats 70s shag task it . Its been another quality day in the great ky .
Thats kind of hard to do in the Palomino Puma. Getting close to furnace weather though. Time to start planning and finding warmer weather.
We made a almost 300 mile trip north last week. North is in the wrong direction.

·
Premium Member
12,081 Posts
Removed the (one) chain, and both weights, wheels and tires from the GS6500 this morning. Bringing them to the tire shop to get the new tires mounted!

Probably should have removed the mowing deck, and maybe the sleeve hitch, as finding a jack point wasn't easy. I ended up pulling the 2-inch receiver hitch adapter from the sleeve hitch, and jacked it up from there.

Forgot how much fun it is to install and remove wheel weights...

I know someone here (on MTF) came up with a way to install basic hardware (nuts/bolts) to serve as locating studs on the wheels, so that you can just lift the weights into place and have them rest on the studs while installing the actual mounting hardware. Will need to find that info before reinstalling these.

Cut the tires open to let the fluid out. Don't know exactly what they were filled with (by the PO), but it was thin, green liquid. The rims don't look rusted inside.

Sitting in the driveway on cinder blocks, only thing separating me from full-on ghetto style is the fact that it's not on blocks out on the street (with the battery, front tires and seat removed, LOL)...

Mike

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Road surface Wheel Asphalt Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Synthetic rubber

16881 - 16900 of 17281 Posts