My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
16861 - 16880 of 17283 Posts

·
Super Moderator
38,512 Posts
Whew, you know us retirees don't track time to good, but I was a little perplexed thinking I'd missed a month and a half! Hope all our CANADIAN members had a good Thanksgiving!

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,863 ·
Whew, you know us retirees don't track time to good, but I was a little perplexed thinking I'd missed a month and a half! Hope all our CANADIAN members had a good Thanksgiving!
That's because they use that metric calendar up there--->I don't even know what that means :D

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,865 ·
So 2 days after Canadian Thanksgiving we fired one into space! Beam me up Scotty! I'm sure he was giving thanks for that and his safe landing!
Clothing Outerwear Photograph Facial expression Smile

·
Administrator
17,943 Posts
Well most of the morning and a wee bit of the afternoon but the eight foot bed of the Super Duty was packed above the bed walls so off to the trash day drop off. Got rid of a lot of stuff (crap) that had all seen better days so somewhat of a clean slate. Time to start all over again.
MikeC

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Heading to Ocala early in the morning…

Took time today to remove the drawers from a toolbox I want to restore…

View attachment 2523571

Top lid, on the inside, will be left alone as it has all the dates of prior owners going back to the 30’s…

View attachment 2523572

It is an old Kennedy toolbox that I bought for 50.00

View attachment 2523573
I like that I have tools i engraved 18 , 20 years ago in my tool bag of my name my kids x wives what ever showed a guy today I can't recognize the beat up wore out channel locks but there mine because I engraved them before my daughter was born and she is 17 , I didn't invent the idea I have seen other tools with dates of important's to other builders .

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Just had the conversation with my wife and she only remotely understands that once you pack a pair of lineman pliers for 5 , 10 ,15 , 20 years that you can't get that wear or patina or spirit , smoothness and how upsetting it would be to lose i personally would rather break and let them have a viking funeral , this is another reason I value you fellows only to lay them down to rust in less than a week .

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,869 ·
Just had the conversation with my wife and she only remotely understands that once you pack a pair of lineman pliers for 5 , 10 ,15 , 20 years that you can't get that wear or patina or spirit , smoothness and how upsetting it would be to lose i personally would rather break and let them have a viking funeral , this is another reason I value you fellows only to lay them down to rust in less than a week .
I have my first pair of round jaw vise-grips that I always grab to use. They are 33 years old now. I have others like them but I always grab those. When I think of needing vise-grips those are the ones I go to--every time. They haven't let me down yet

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I was with a guy that shattered his linemans he said no big deal i got them at TVA and they had a five gallon buck full , the statement left me confused as if they had no sole , don't get me wrong I beat on mine on the non hinge side don't knock the man off the pole but still would be a little heart broken .

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,871 ·
I was with a guy that shattered his linemans he said no big deal i got them at TVA and they had a five gallon buck full , the statement left me confused as if they had no sole , don't get me wrong I beat on mine on the non hinge side don't knock the man off the pole but still would be a little heart broken .
I broke a jaw off a pair of round jaw Vise-grips and warrantied them. We did a lot of straightening steel and tempered aluminum in the trailer shops I worked in. Lots of clamping down, jacking pressure, and heat and beat. Cheapos would get your teeth knocked out. Better buy quality when your safety depends on it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Yes , there is also counterfeit brand name that gets in a market . Could have been counterfeit kilns . Or they were just not used properly but who doesn't use them as hammers . keep that screw driver blade covered i took one to the eye socket once the arm hinges back to the eye now I know what mom was talking about we should start a safety tread it would go a while .

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,874 ·
I went out to measure my mower lift for RedOctober and grabbed my old trusty vise-grips with the jaws burnt half off by welding and cutting stuff they were clamped to plus a set I bet not many of y'all knew existed.

24SPs-24" long swivel jaws. We'd use them to clamp curved nose panels (radius) over the top of a nose rail on trailers. Took a long jaw to get some of them clamped up.

Hood Motor vehicle Grey Bumper Vehicle door

5,681 Posts
Silvertonebetty, Canada winter forecast

World Map Font Line Parallel

5,681 Posts
“A SEASON OF SHIVERS” PREDICTED FOR THE U.S.

Ecoregion World Map Product Azure

·
Premium Member
5,387 Posts
I went out to measure my mower lift for RedOctober and grabbed my old trusty vise-grips with the jaws burnt half off by welding and cutting stuff they were clamped to plus a set I bet not many of y'all knew existed.

24SPs-24" long swivel jaws. We'd use them to clamp curved nose panels (radius) over the top of a nose rail on trailers. Took a long jaw to get some of them clamped up.

View attachment 2523684
What brand are those? I was looking for some two years ago and never found any.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

View attachment 2523684
Pretty sure I have never saw the big ones , there were a bunch in the dumpster I should have cleaned up but I was feeling lazy at work not big like that but plenty of smaller ones that wrap around some are probably left in place and changed out when they get just a little rust on them or between outages . Left to hold covers on that get opened when needed .

·
Super Moderator
9,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16,880 ·
  • Love
Reactions: bontai Joe
16861 - 16880 of 17283 Posts