My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
15801 - 15820 of 16128 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Can you really safe
I thought you may have had the 3-step type ladders like we used in the trailer shop that you could safely stand on the top of. Spent many hours on those.

View attachment 2519357
[/QUOT can you really Safely stand on top of any ladder or just safer than some once I fell off the top of a 6 in a attic working on a attic fan and caught my self before going through the ceiling by the joists , my buddy has terrible ladder skills its just a matter of time for him and now there Startin to scare me a little falling in general I have seen a few people end there career with a ladder but the one in the picture would be better .

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
Too many irons in the fire today. 2016 Mule is coming together, New gas cans suck, Getting the 1978 Roper 20T ready to display an an upcoming show, and plans for the 2011 Craftsman GT.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,805 ·
Can you really safe
We riveted the 3 step ladders folding mechanisms to stay open and added J-strip to them and they were really sturdy. Welded 4" aluminum square shaped feet to them to span the gaps in reefer corrugated floors.

They were pretty darned safe. I rode one for 11 years and never fell off--even when a piece of bowed aluminum angle split my head open when it sprung free of the inside of a wreck I was tearing down.
Too many irons in the fire today. 2016 Mule is coming together, New gas cans suck, Getting the 1978 Roper 20T ready to display an an upcoming show, and plans for the 2011 Craftsman GT.

My wife saw someone pouring gas into a stalled truck the other day and said "Good God, they are spilling gas everywhere!" I looked over and it was one of those stupid cans.

I looked at the water jugs they sell at Wal-Mart the other day. The are the same plastic as the gas cans--HDPE 2 except they have normal spouts. I said i'd grab one of those and paint it red before ever buying one of those stupid spout new cans.

I glued up my lens Sunday with the DAP glue and it seems to have bonded well. Glued the lenses in tonight with the E6000 glue. Should save me $60 or so.

Green Bumper Cap Athletic shoe Eyewear

·
Premium Member
5,165 Posts
Does it require a pump?

My electricity was working, and the pump was too. The problem is that the float got stuck on the sidewall of the hole it was sitting in.

This was a very old pump/design, ancient house, open trough to sump hole. Didn't help that the house had a (holey) field stone foundation and no gutters...

I solved the problem with a newer pump/design, and ultimately by moving out of there...

Mike
Still requires a pump but the powered by water. Not sure I would use it is the primary but makes a good backup pump.
Of course if your in the middle of no where with your own well battery backup is the best way to go.
I installed the water backup for a couple that go south in the winter and were worried about the main sump or power going out for an extended period.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Reduced my 2 Hydrogear BDP-10L controllers to bits, stuffed in a whole bunch of sandwich bags:
Green Bag Knife Metal Auto part

A couple of the bags have notes in them, to ensure the parts go back in their original spot, and I took a bunch of pics showing the location and/or orientation of them, which helps with reassembly. Hydrogear is great about making their service/repair manuals available, as well as detailed parts lists for their stuff.

I didn't really look closely at the parts, but nothing seemed obviously wrong w.r.t. my original problem (the trunion shaft could move in/out too much). The arm of the shaft doesn't appear worn, and the bushing the shaft goes through also seems in the same position but I have to examine the end of the bushing in both housings a bit more closely tomorrow to see if there's a difference. The service manual does say to press in the bushing to set the clearance for the trunion shaft, but that will be tricky to do in a precise manner (it has to move less than 1/8"), instead I may try inserting a thin machinery bushing to set it instead. It does seem odd to me that Hydrogear says that the bushing isn't replaceable, but is movable.

The only part that clearly had failed, but didn't appear to have caused a problem, is one of the cradle bearings (you can see 2 of them in the housing in the pic) broke in half at the alignment/holding pin.

Looks like about $65 in parts (seal kits, cradle bearings), and some fiddling with that bushing, and they should be good for another 20 years...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Very nice Joe! I'm glad the tractor & dethatcher worked well. And that's a good idea with kind of consolidating the thatch, so you can bag it with something smaller.
Thanks, yeah I've used that method a few times. I just make a clockwise circle around and spiral from outside to the inside of the yard and it makes a big pile in the middle of the yard. I still really wish I had a bagger for this tractor. I miss the one on my 1525. It made fall leaves super easy. There is one on marketplace but it is for a 44" deck and it would have to be adapted to my 54" or I'd have to find a 44" deck. I believe my 54" is supposed to use a powerflow type bagger too.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
@BOSOX Nice upgrade! I agree 1000% on the fender lights. Looking at your trailer reminds me that I need to add some side lights and DOT tape.

Mike
Thanks, Mike!
The trailer already has amber and red marker lights on the corners and red tail and turn signals. With the added combination lights on the fenders I think it may look like a Christmas tree when it’s all lit up behind the truck. Lol

On the plus side, it won’t go unnoticed by other drivers, which is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
...and that is exactly the goal!!!

Mine doesn't have amber lights for some reason (I'd assume length?).

From the factory, the only lights were the red combination side/tail lights. It has amber reflectors on the sides (front corners of bed).

I added small amber lights to the fenders to help me see it at night (mostly because all of my boat trailers had lights out on the crossbars, and I hated not being able to see anything in my side mirrors on this trailer).

I also added some DOT tape to the rear, but it could definitely use more, and some on the sides.

Mike

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle

Wheel Tire Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
397 Posts
I was playing last night with the new purchase... I ordered a larger metal lathe (PM 12x36). But it does not arrive until Jan-Feb next year (yeah :rolleyes: )...

Since ordering it, I have been looking at Craigslist and FB Market Place for an inexpensive one to practice and learn... I found one yesterday and just went and got it... Was up until 2am cleaning it and making sure everything was working...

It is a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 9" x 20" geared head belt driven, bench lathe from 2006. Previous owner passed away and wife was selling all of his tools.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Machine tool Gas Engineering

The only thing I am ordering is a quick change tool post... that is it. I have everything else to make some chips...

·
Super Moderator
38,092 Posts
Well we pulled a ton of produce from the garden this week and now we need to use it so I started by baking some zucchini bread today for the 1st time:

Food Ingredient Recipe Bread pan Baked goods

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
I was playing last night with the new purchase... I ordered a larger metal lathe (PM 12x36). But it does not arrive until Jan-Feb next year (yeah :rolleyes: )...

Since ordering it, I have been looking at Craigslist and FB Market Place for an inexpensive one to practice and learn... I found one yesterday and just went and got it... Was up until 2am cleaning it and making sure everything was working...

It is a Central Machinery (Harbor Freight) 9" x 20" geared head belt driven, bench lathe from 2006. Previous owner passed away and wife was selling all of his tools.

View attachment 2519844

The only thing I am ordering is a quick change tool post... that is it. I have everything else to make some chips...
You've got a 4-way tool holder, which works just fine for holding the cutting tools, just takes a bit longer to switch between them... You don't need to wait.

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
397 Posts
You've got a 4-way tool holder, which works just fine for holding the cutting tools, just takes a bit longer to switch between them... You don't need to wait.
I will admit that I did make chips last night with the cutter that was installed... hahahahaha... But too scare to try any of the other cutters since it will mean adjusting everything to get it to center... I am watching videos and reading some books I got to learn...

Machine tool Wood Engineering Gas Metalworking

Do not look at the surface finish... clueless... but learning...

Hand tool Wood Finger Tool Household hardware

I should man up and give it a try... I did get all the cutters/tool bits that she had...

Wood Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Metal

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
It's just shims under the tool to set the height in the 4way. I bought 2 small sets of shims (each set is 5 strips of metal, each twice as thick as the previous one), and for the tools I use (I don't use a lot), I have a sheet of paper for which shims to use for it, and the first time I use the tool, it takes some time to figure out the shims, but after that it's just picking & stacking the shims for it.

And in a pinch, you don't need that, I initially used feeler gauges before I bought the shims. And it doesn't have to be super-precise (as in, to 0.001"), just close. I think the thinnest shim is around .05, and there's only 5 shims to a set.

And these are some machining forums/sites I found pretty helpful:

And when I started, I really didn't know anything. I initially thought the lathe was broken because the only button that made it spin (which I later figured out is the jog button) wouldn't keep the lathe running when released. A salesman at BusyBeeTools, when I mentioned having to fix the lathe (not sold by them), asked what was wrong, I described what was happening and then he showed me the lever on the front for turning the lathe on/off on the front (the forward/stop/reverse lever).

·
Registered
2021 John Deere S240-42"
397 Posts
Hobby Machinist forum is where are I am learning and asking for specific help. Great site!!

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Thanks, yeah I've used that method a few times. I just make a clockwise circle around and spiral from outside to the inside of the yard and it makes a big pile in the middle of the yard. I still really wish I had a bagger for this tractor. I miss the one on my 1525. It made fall leaves super easy. There is one on marketplace but it is for a 44" deck and it would have to be adapted to my 54" or I'd have to find a 44" deck. I believe my 54" is supposed to use a powerflow type bagger too.
Joe...get yourself one of these for leaves
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Sleeve

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
I will admit that I did make chips last night with the cutter that was installed... hahahahaha... But too scare to try any of the other cutters since it will mean adjusting everything to get it to center... I am watching videos and reading some books I got to learn...

View attachment 2519850

Do not look at the surface finish... clueless... but learning...

View attachment 2519851

I should man up and give it a try... I did get all the cutters/tool bits that she had...

View attachment 2519849
Congratulations, that is awesome! Looks like a great haul!!

Even if it wasn't something huge & fancy, having any sort of lathe at home seems like it would be such a great addition.

Forgive, I'm trying to remember who it was, but from context, was it you that's setting up their mill to be CNC? If so, you are going to have quite the setup!

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
We are going to want to see pictures of the progress....this is a good example of what having the right tractor can do for you 👍
Agreed!

Not that I'll probably ever get to own anything like that, but can a "smaller" machine like a 2xxx run a post-hole digger? That must be so cool. It would be great to see a video, if you were inclined.

15801 - 15820 of 16128 Posts