My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
15781 - 15800 of 16130 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,281 Posts
Looks like fun, @Jere39 look forward to more shots of the trip, it sounds like it was great...although I think that Polaris ride would have played havoc on my back...good reason to not go flying in that thing ;)

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I do, I have them front and rear. Though currently, neither is accessible. The front one is holding the winch tower, to operate the bucket. And the rear one is blocked because the sleeve hitch is mounted (in the manual configuration), with the 300 pound ballast box attached.

Lifting it with the bucket would be the "cleanest" solution at the moment, since that's how the tractor is set up currently. So I may look into that, as an option.

Looking at the deck while leaving this morning, I don't know if the bucket sticks out far enough to get over the center of the deck, to lift the whole thing. Maybe. But at a minimum, I could probably use it to lift one side, and move it (like up over the lip of the garage). And then lift the other side. We'll see. It's at least a nice idea, if the bucket could help with this. Maybe I could try to make some sort of lifting attachment that would stick out further, beyond the front of the bucket.
RO, here is what I use to lift my deck so I can position it to install the dollies I have for storage. No back or manually lifting involved. Works great at deer camp also.
Parallel Rectangle Font Balance Elbow

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,468 Posts
Nearly as exciting this morning - pulling 294' of pipe with a failed 1hp pump at the end:

Plant Flowerpot Botany Outdoor table Land lot

Remember the good old days grunting one of these up with a tri-pod and take the sections of metal pipe apart one at a time.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
I meant to ask about that, Jere. Is that your well pump that quit? I was hoping it wasn't a sump pump (I've lived that nightmare).

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
View attachment 2519679
The fur balls did a lot of supervision of the job.
Moving the winters supply of fire indoors.
Ha, that's awesome! Very cute. I hope your work met with their approval.

And that is a very impressive piece of equipment, geez! There's little baby tractors (like mine), and then the big boys!

Reactions: 706owner

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,468 Posts
A little classical music for you connoisseur and a nice long video of dancing across the sands:

The GoPro mount wasn't perfect, so there is some jitter, and the sound wasn't great.

Next time I go on one of these trips, I found a rental group in Jackson that has leased access to trails on the Elk Reserve and a couple wooded canyon trails.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
There is an option to the sump pump night mare that doesn't require electricity.
Does it require a pump?

My electricity was working, and the pump was too. The problem is that the float got stuck on the sidewall of the hole it was sitting in.

This was a very old pump/design, ancient house, open trough to sump hole. Didn't help that the house had a (holey) field stone foundation and no gutters...

I solved the problem with a newer pump/design, and ultimately by moving out of there...

Mike

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Ran the Cub Cadet around the backyard with the dethatcher today. Yard definitely needed it. I used the side discharge on the tractor to move all the thatch to one area then used my Lawnboy with its new bagger and sucked it up. Worked great and the Lawnboy is running really well. I think the idle is a bit high, but it might just be me. I really need to get a tach on it.
Riding mower Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire

And here you can see the nice puddle of gear oil the Cub is leaving on it's parking spot. I'm gonna be getting the seals ordered and get to work on this. I like the idea of the cast iron axle but its a few hours away and it's just not really necessary right now.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Tread Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,792 ·
Ran the Cub Cadet around the backyard with the dethatcher today. Yard definitely needed it. I used the side discharge on the tractor to move all the thatch to one area then used my Lawnboy with its new bagger and sucked it up. Worked great and the Lawnboy is running really well. I think the idle is a bit high, but it might just be me. I really need to get a tach on it.
View attachment 2519713
And here you can see the nice puddle of gear oil the Cub is leaving on it's parking spot. I'm gonna be getting the seals ordered and get to work on this. I like the idea of the cast iron axle but its a few hours away and it's just not really necessary right now.
View attachment 2519711
I looked at oringsandmore on those seals but all they had was single lip seals in 30x40x4mm. The single lip seals can be used as the 4 grease seals but the 2 oil seals need to be double lip. I used double lip on all 6 of mine. Not saying that's the right way to do it--it's just what I did.

Single lip Grease seals $1.40 each:

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Very nice Joe! I'm glad the tractor & dethatcher worked well. And that's a good idea with kind of consolidating the thatch, so you can bag it with something smaller.

I had a pleasant discovery tonight, regarding trying to move the mower deck around. I was thinking about options using the bucket, and tried using ratchet straps, hanging over the front lip of the bucket.

That actually worked great! It lifted the 175 pound deck with no problem, just using 2 ratchet straps. I'm sure there are better ways to route them, but this worked as a start, anyways. They looped around the back of the bucket (going under where the arms attach), and then go to the deck hangers, and under the brackets for the anti-scalp wheels.

I drove around very slowly, as the deck swings somewhat. But I even just barely had enough height to drive it up the ramp and into the shed, which is pretty awesome.

That means I could get the deck out of the garage, with the tractor set up for other work. If I wanted to get cute, I could probably even stack up some boards in the shed, and make a "bridge" over the deck, so I could drive over the deck, and park above it. That way the tractor could be in the shed as well.

I had no expectations of being able to use the bucket for other kinds of work, like you cool folks with loaders. So this was a nice little surprise, limited though it is. And seeing people's good ideas here, and clever means of handling loads, is a great resource.

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,468 Posts
@MARK (LI) According to YouTube free audio selections it is Beethoven's 9th Symphony (Finale). May just be another name for it. Not sure, but guaranteed royalty free.

And, having clearer insight into the pump issue after pulling it up; it failed, but all three (one at the pressure tank, one at 200' mark, and one built into the pump itself) check valves had failed. So, the column of water was draining each time the pump stopped, and then had to restore the column on next water demand. Plumbers declared the failure of the check valves was probably the cause of the failure of the pump. But, all is well this evening: new pump, new pipe, new wires, new pressure tank, all new check valves, new pressure switch.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I looked at oringsandmore on those seals but all they had was single lip seals in 30x40x4mm. The single lip seals can be used as the 4 grease seals but the 2 oil seals need to be double lip. I used double lip on all 6 of mine. Not saying that's the right way to do it--it's just what I did.

Single lip Grease seals $1.40 each:

I managed to find them for $4 a piece here-

I ordered 8 so I'll have a couple extra.

·
Super Moderator
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15,799 ·
Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
15781 - 15800 of 16130 Posts