My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
15761 - 15780 of 16128 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
Last night (evening), I worked for over 3 hours (around 2.5 hours of seat time). Used the Craftsman GS6500, Brinley dethatcher, and Trac Vac 385. Cleaned up with the Echo PB751T blower.

Mowed & dethatched (at the same time), then installed the chute, hooked up the Trac Vac, and cleaned that all up. Ran out of daylight to get the aerating and overseeding done.

Forgot to take before pics (of the lawn), and ran out of light for after pics, so here's a couple of intermediate pics (taken after dethatching and before vacuuming it up).

Plant Grass Groundcover Tree Natural landscape

Plant Tree Road surface Asphalt Land lot

Looking at it again this morning (in the daylight, no new pics), it looks better, but I definitely need to do at least one more pass. Too much loose stuff left behind.

Yesterday was also a good reminder of things I need to do:

Replace rear tires on GS6500 (excessively cracked), parking brake handle, brakes and PTO

Fix actuator controls (electrical mess: sleeve hitch, JB Jr.)

Add lights to tractor (sides and rear)

Add lights to house (both side yards)

Fix Echo blower (needs fuel lines, filter and maybe a carb)

Replace Trac Vac tubes (both machines), and a variety of small other items on each

Prep the Husqy tractor for snow season!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
It's looking good, Mike! I don't have a bagger, so when I dethatch, the best I can do is just try to mulch it. And, hey, at least you have a list of things to do, so you won't be bored :)

I admit I'm envious of the multiple-tractors folks :) That would be pretty nice. But I can't complain, "only having 1 GT" is an example of first world problems. But it does sound nice to just grab the one with the loader. Or the one with the mower deck, etc. My conversions yesterday didn't really require tools, but still took a while, and it's a bunch of muscling stuff around. Not needing to swap stuff before cutting the grass would be cool.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yard looks good Mike. I think my yard is due for a dethatching. It's looking pretty rough at this point in the season with all the crabgrass and clover, but it's not gonna make it any worse. I think I just found an excuse to get some seat time.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
View attachment 2519485
White Socks was hanging out with me until I started the Farmall. First time he climbed onto the tractor.
I like your little helper! I'm sure he contributed a lot to the undertaking. Even if it was just emotional support. Or judgemental looks.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
Got the new axle for my utility trailer just about buttoned up. Built a new axle and installed it last month. I got the new aluminum diamond plate fenders in last weekend and installed them today. Welded the tabs to the trailer frame and used aluminum flat bar to mount the fender itself. I have a combination Red / Amber LED lamp to add to the top of the fender. Since the wheels now stick out of the trailer the lights will help see them when towing and backing in the dark.

I replaced a small 8" wheel boat trailer axle that has been on the trailer since I built the trailer 30 years ago. This trailer has served me well for a long time.

Before:

Wheel Plant community Vehicle Boat trailer Tire

After:

Tire Wheel Plant Land vehicle Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Plant Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Road surface Road surface Asphalt Mesh Wall Rectangle Automotive lighting Wood Vision care Eyewear Line

Also replaced the valves on a leaking faucet in my 1st floor bath, that was very easy luckily. The parts were $24 to replace both sides. I plan to renovate this bathroom, as it's the last room in the house that I haven't wrecked in my 23 years of ownership, but it's not happening for another year or so, this is a good bandage for the time being.

Tap Plumbing fixture Sink Bathroom Bathroom sink Body jewelry Auto part Jewellery Household hardware Camera lens Fluid Gas Cylinder Household hardware Auto part

Fairly productive day.

·
Super Moderator
11,280 Posts
Fix Echo blower (needs fuel lines, filter and maybe a carb)
Mike...I recently needed a carb for an echo hedge trimmer...it came with new lines with a filter, spark plug and a grommet for the tank...I think it was 13 dollars or so on Amazon
I think I just found an excuse to get some seat time.
Joe...you don't have to explain to us...no one needs an excuse for seat time ;)

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
Got the new axle for my utility trailer just about buttoned up. Built a new axle and installed it last month. I got the new aluminum diamond plate fenders in last weekend and installed them today. Welded the tabs to the trailer frame and used aluminum flat bar to mount the fender itself. I have a combination Red / Amber LED lamp to add to the top of the fender. Since the wheels now stick out of the trailer the lights will help see them when towing and backing in the dark.

I replaced a small 8" wheel boat trailer axle that has been on the trailer since I built the trailer 30 years ago. This trailer has served me well for a long time.
Wow, very nice work on the trailer! That sure looks like a solid axle/wheel setup!

5,517 Posts
I bought this tool. I don't know if its worth $45. Its a garden edger weeder soil cultivator.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
@RedOctobyr Thanks for the compliments on the yard. Beauty is definitely the eye of the beholder if you like the looks of that hay field, LOL... And yes, multiple tractors helps a LOT. But, the best setup is having multiple tractors that are alike enough to use the same attachments. Someday, I hope to get there...

@BOSOX Nice upgrade! I agree 1000% on the fender lights. Looking at your trailer reminds me that I need to add some side lights and DOT tape.

@MARK (LI) Thanks for the tip on the Echo carb. I just bought a setup like that for my Briggs mower engine, can't believe I didn't think of that for the Echo blower!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
After wrestling with my mower deck yesterday (especially trying to get it up over the lip, to roll it back into the garage from the driveway), I decided to weigh it. Stuck a scale under one side, then moved it to the other. 175 pounds. Yeah, OK, that explains why it was a bear to move around, at least! And alas, I won't be winning the World's Strongest Man competition any time soon, the deck outweighs me.

I don't intend to be taking it on/off regularly at all. But it did get me wondering if there's a better way to move it around, if needed. I could imagine something like a wooden A-frame, maybe on wheels, to position over it. I have a block and tackle rope pulley, which would easily handle lifting it, hanging from that frame. But that sounds like a lot of work, for maybe a modest benefit, on something that should be infrequent anyhow :) To just lift it up (like to work underneath), I could maybe use my MoJack, or suspend the block & tackle from a board across some sawhorses.

Heh, it's no loader (sadly!), but it occurs to me that I could conceivably use the bucket to lift it. Or even just half of it. I don't know what my dirt loads weighed yesterday, but I've had 200 pounds in the bucket for testing, so it can lift that much. Hmmm. Or if I moved the winch to the rear, I could maybe lift it using an extension on the sleeve hitch. It's unlikely I'd find an actual balance point, though. But still, an interesting thought, if it needed to get moved around. The goal is to make the tractor sore (but not broken!), rather than ME being sore.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
@RedOctobyr Thanks for the compliments on the yard. Beauty is definitely the eye of the beholder if you like the looks of that hay field, LOL... And yes, multiple tractors helps a LOT. But, the best setup is having multiple tractors that are alike enough to use the same attachments. Someday, I hope to get there...
Well, it may be a hayfield now, but it'll look nicer once you get to vacuum that up! This was step 1.

Being able to share attachments does sound even better, yeah! Heck, if one of them could be a geared machine with a hi/low range, and the other was a hydro, ooh, that could be really nice.

Personally, I wish 2-speed units (hi/low) were still a thing. When I was frustratingly just getting a bunch of hydro noise, trying to pull the loaded trailer out of where the wheels had sunk a bit into the yard, it was bugging me that I'm limited by just a single range. In the moment, I didn't need top speed, I needed a lot of torque. Hydros are great, but the torque isn't infinite. At least not on mine, apparently :)

But a geared hi/low tug, that can take a beating? That could be great. Strong, and less "delicate/sensitive" transmission stuff to worry about.

And with trailers & lights, I realized I need to add some sort of corner markers to mine. With it stock, you can see the flip-down tailgate. But I removed that, for the wooden sides & bed unloader. Now it's too low to see out the back window of my car. I need to figure out something that I can attach, for visibility when backing up. Not really sure what to use, though. I have fiberglass driveway marker poles. Worst-case, I could maybe clamp those to some of the rear upright frame pieces.

·
Premium Member
11,834 Posts
The first snowblower I owned was a tractor-mount. I didn't have a walk-behind as a backup. Liked it so much, when that tractor (LT) burned, I upgraded to a bigger one (GT) and an even bigger snowblower.

One year, I had TONS of problems with that tractor (carb, tires, hydro), so I went out and bought the Honda walk-behind as a backup blower.

Next, I bought another GT with a JB Jr. That has a foot-controlled hydro, which is what you really need for a snowblower or loader.

I eventually bought the Husqy GT tractor to mount that snowblower onto, but it's a fender-controlled hydro. It was repowered by the PO, but has developed a fuel delivery problem.

These are all Craftsman/Husqy products. I'd love to upgrade to two identical Deere GTs with 4WD, foot-controlled hydros, and all the attachments. And a backhoe. By the time I can afford all of that, I'll be ready to sell the place and move into a full-time RV, LOL...

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
A Honda walk-behind is a very nice backup! I'm very happy with my Ariens 2-stage, but would love to try a Honda.

The foot controlled hydro benefits were clear with getting to try the bucket. One hand on the wheel (thank you, power steering!), the other on the up/down control, and easing forward/back with a foot. Very nice, much smoother than gears, certainly, and easier than hand controlled, I expect.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,468 Posts
Finally back home, and found my submersible pump died late Friday evening. So, I am on a quest to pull it after 16 years of faithful service, and probably replace it. Also found my Internet/TV/Phone supplier (Comcast) had a community wide failure today. Service came back on about 9:00 this evening. And, I promised you folks some video from my day on the Idaho Dunes. This is 4 minutes of video with my GoPro mounted on the role bar, and aimed toward the cockpit. That's me driving, and learning the capabilities of the Polaris RZR 1000 - and the capabilities of the driver:

BTW, Anyone who is interested, put over 5000 miles on the wife's 2019 Honda Odyssey and averaged 33.4 MPG on the trip. Much of that route 80 out to Wyoming and back, but enough rough road in Teton and Yellowstone NP to smooth the MPG curve. More video to come, with the camera facing forward.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
After wrestling with my mower deck yesterday (especially trying to get it up over the lip, to roll it back into the garage from the driveway), I decided to weigh it. Stuck a scale under one side, then moved it to the other. 175 pounds. Yeah, OK, that explains why it was a bear to move around, at least! And alas, I won't be winning the World's Strongest Man competition any time soon, the deck outweighs me.

I don't intend to be taking it on/off regularly at all. But it did get me wondering if there's a better way to move it around, if needed. I could imagine something like a wooden A-frame, maybe on wheels, to position over it. I have a block and tackle rope pulley, which would easily handle lifting it, hanging from that frame. But that sounds like a lot of work, for maybe a modest benefit, on something that should be infrequent anyhow :) To just lift it up (like to work underneath), I could maybe use my MoJack, or suspend the block & tackle from a board across some sawhorses.

Heh, it's no loader (sadly!), but it occurs to me that I could conceivably use the bucket to lift it. Or even just half of it. I don't know what my dirt loads weighed yesterday, but I've had 200 pounds in the bucket for testing, so it can lift that much. Hmmm. Or if I moved the winch to the rear, I could maybe lift it using an extension on the sleeve hitch. It's unlikely I'd find an actual balance point, though. But still, an interesting thought, if it needed to get moved around. The goal is to make the tractor sore (but not broken!), rather than ME being sore.
By any change do you have a receiver hitch on the tractor?

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Begun the rebuild of the hydro controllers for my Snapper by removing them from the drive section. This is the destruction needed to do that:
Helmet Automotive tire Light Audio equipment Headgear

Remarkably, for a 20 year old machine, everything came apart pretty easily, even the pulleys and the control brackets on the controller trunnion shafts.

I did find something that looked like gas fitting sealant on some of the hydraulic lines, which shouldn't be needed for properly tightened fittings that are clean and undamaged.

Tomorrow I start tearing them down and see what appears to be worn.

·
Premium Member
4,737 Posts
By any change do you have a receiver hitch on the tractor?
I do, I have them front and rear. Though currently, neither is accessible. The front one is holding the winch tower, to operate the bucket. And the rear one is blocked because the sleeve hitch is mounted (in the manual configuration), with the 300 pound ballast box attached.

Lifting it with the bucket would be the "cleanest" solution at the moment, since that's how the tractor is set up currently. So I may look into that, as an option.

Looking at the deck while leaving this morning, I don't know if the bucket sticks out far enough to get over the center of the deck, to lift the whole thing. Maybe. But at a minimum, I could probably use it to lift one side, and move it (like up over the lip of the garage). And then lift the other side. We'll see. It's at least a nice idea, if the bucket could help with this. Maybe I could try to make some sort of lifting attachment that would stick out further, beyond the front of the bucket.

Reactions: dblomquist

·
Super Moderator
38,092 Posts
Finally back home, and found my submersible pump died late Friday evening. So, I am on a quest to pull it after 16 years of faithful service, and probably replace it. Also found my Internet/TV/Phone supplier (Comcast) had a community wide failure today. Service came back on about 9:00 this evening. And, I promised you folks some video from my day on the Idaho Dunes. This is 4 minutes of video with my GoPro mounted on the role bar, and aimed toward the cockpit. That's me driving, and learning the capabilities of the Polaris RZR 1000 - and the capabilities of the driver:

Sorry, Not sure what the restriction is about. You can still watch it by clicking the link in the black box to get it in YouTube, but I'll have to try to figure why it won't play in the MTF Screen

BTW, Anyone who is interested, put over 5000 miles on the wife's 2019 Honda Odyssey and averaged 33.4 MPG on the trip. Much of that route 80 out to Wyoming and back, but enough rough road in Teton and Yellowstone NP to smooth the MPG curve. More video to come, with the camera facing forward.
I didn't see any airborne time there Jere! You got to launch those things to have some real fun!

15761 - 15780 of 16128 Posts