My Tractor Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 4446 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,019 Posts
Got the hoses routed and hooked. The curl cylinder has tons more power than the other one. Other one had a dead spot in it that caused "bucket flop" due to the necessary angle of the cylinder needed to dump and curl using the trip dump bucket arms. The other setup wouldn't curl a bucket full of dirt or lift the tractor. This one easily lifts the tractor just with the curl. Just have a temp pin setup on the front right now.
Impressive curl force! I can't lift the 322 using the LBL curl. Looks like you're almost ready to terrorize the neighborhood! :)

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,522
Impressive curl force! I can't lift the 322 using the LBL curl. Looks like you're almost ready to terrorize the neighborhood! :)
Thanks! I really wanted more curl force after my last cylinder was failing to curl a loaded bucket. I'm sure the wet dirt was ~350+ lbs but I was disappointed in it. Should curl a bit more now.

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,473 Posts
Nice range of motion now. I’ll bet you’ll be having plenty of fun with it. (y)
You might even get some work done. :D

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
That thing turned out great. Lost a little weight too. You could probably sell that quick now and make a tidy profit.
Thanks, it really did clean up well. There was definitely lots of caked-on oily saw dust and wood chips inside. Crazy that it sat for 5-10 years, then I cleaned it and put gas in it, and it runs. Sell it for a quick profit is probably what a reasonable, financially responsible person would do... but this is me we're talking about :ROFLMAO:

It's more of an antique/collector's item than a tool at this point, it might be worth $75-125 to the someone who is interested in it. It's a real 56cc saw and it's definitely capable of doing work, but it's so heavy and bulky it just isn't practical when I've got modern saws around. Poulan really made some quality stuff in their day but they didn't maintain that reputation. They were bought out and resold so many times, it was bound to happen. I'm probably just gonna keep it polished up and try to figure out a way to display it.

The bucket looks awesome, should be a huge improvement over your previous setup.

·
Super Moderator
31,019 Posts
Thanks, it really did clean up well. There was definitely lots of caked-on oily saw dust and wood chips inside. Crazy that it sat for 5-10 years, then I cleaned it and put gas in it, and it runs. Sell it for a quick profit is probably what a reasonable, financially responsible person would do... but this is me we're talking about :ROFLMAO:

It's more of an antique/collector's item than a tool at this point, it might be worth $75-125 to the someone who is interested in it. It's a real 56cc saw and it's definitely capable of doing work, but it's so heavy and bulky it just isn't practical when I've got modern saws around. Poulan really made some quality stuff in their day but they didn't maintain that reputation. They were bought out and resold so many times, it was bound to happen. I'm probably just gonna keep it polished up and try to figure out a way to display it.

The bucket looks awesome, should be a huge improvement over your previous setup.
There going to be any trees left in the Pittsburgh area after your done testing all these? :) Nice cleanup on the Poulan, I remember growing up that was the saw people could afford, only the rich could afford a Stihl! Yep shame that Poulan was passed along so many times and the quality slipped with each new company that bought the brand.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,526 (Edited)
Nice range of motion now. I’ll bet you’ll be having plenty of fun with it. (y)
You might even get some work done. :D
Thanks. I know on the work thing. "Imma build a bucket to save me doing a bunch of work" Hmmm... :D

I had a vendor patient who dealt with his company's product in walmart. They kept telling them to cut the price or they wouldn't carry the product. To the point where they couldn't maintain the quality at the price point. They were not willing to cut their quality to meet the price and pulled the product out. Some companies who kept cutting went from a top name product to junk. Poulan, Schwinn and Mongoose bikes are a few examples.
Thanks on the bucket. I really needed the lift height. This is all I'm doing to it though..I think..maybe... :D

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
About 5 years ago, I bought a walkbehind Snapper Pro 52" hydro walkbehind, and really liked using it. Since then, I've added a powered bagger setup to it, as well as made a plow attachment so I can use it in the winter.

I've been looking for another one, as I've gotten used to the controls, just narrower with a 32 or 36" deck so I can get it through smaller gates, and thought I had finally found one and it was just 15 minutes away. Unfortunately, even though it was advertised with a 32" deck, it actually has a 48" one.... :-( I bought it anyway, as I wanted to use it in the winter with a brush attachment. It came with a 44" Snapper brush attachment, which doesn't appear to have seen much use at the bristles look good, but the angle mechanism is rusted in place, and isn't particularly easy to use (you have to lock the controls, walk around and manually release/rotate the brush head, then go back), so I'll have to think about if I want to use it, vs making a mount/attachment for a BercoMac 48" brush head I have, which I can also raise/lower, as well as angle the head from the operators position. I have mostly completed a mount setup for my Husqvarna 52" hydro walkbehind (I've got a build thread around somewhere for it), but I find the controls different enough to be annoying, and the control locking mechanism is in the way for getting switches located so I can use them with my hands on the controls.

I am considering repowering it, as it's got a 14hp single lung Kawasaki, which was bogging down doing the cutting, with something similar to the Kohler CV22S that's on the 52" Snapper.

Here's the unit, after cutting the grass in my yard which had gotten pretty tall. The cut looks like crap because the grass is really wet, was also really tall, and the deck has mulch blades and a plug on. It cut a bit better once I took the mulch plug off so some of the cut grass could come out the side.

And the brush attachment, which just bolts in place of the deck.

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,528
About 5 years ago, I bought a walkbehind Snapper Pro 52" hydro walkbehind, and really liked using it. Since then, I've added a powered bagger setup to it, as well as made a plow attachment so I can use it in the winter.

I've been looking for another one, as I've gotten used to the controls, just narrower with a 32 or 36" deck so I can get it through smaller gates, and thought I had finally found one and it was just 15 minutes away. Unfortunately, even though it was advertised with a 32" deck, it actually has a 48" one.... :-( I bought it anyway, as I wanted to use it in the winter with a brush attachment. It came with a 44" Snapper brush attachment, which doesn't appear to have seen much use at the bristles look good, but the angle mechanism is rusted in place, and isn't particularly easy to use (you have to lock the controls, walk around and manually release/rotate the brush head, then go back), so I'll have to think about if I want to use it, vs making a mount/attachment for a BercoMac 48" brush head I have, which I can also raise/lower, as well as angle the head from the operators position. I have mostly completed a mount setup for my Husqvarna 52" hydro walkbehind (I've got a build thread around somewhere for it), but I find the controls different enough to be annoying, and the control locking mechanism is in the way for getting switches located so I can use them with my hands on the controls.

I am considering repowering it, as it's got a 14hp single lung Kawasaki, which was bogging down doing the cutting, with something similar to the Kohler CV22S that's on the 52" Snapper.

Here's the unit, after cutting the grass in my yard which had gotten pretty tall. The cut looks like crap because the grass is really wet, was also really tall, and the deck has mulch blades and a plug on. It cut a bit better once I took the mulch plug off so some of the cut grass could come out the side.
View attachment 2458561

And the brush attachment, which just bolts in place of the deck.
View attachment 2458562
Very neat machine. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I didn't know they put hydraulic's on those small machines , I have a symplicity with a lift been afraid to look under it type f in the transmission sounds a little like vodo I guess that's what picks the lift up . You did well good job hope you have fun with it .

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
There going to be any trees left in the Pittsburgh area after your done testing all these? :) Nice cleanup on the Poulan, I remember growing up that was the saw people could afford, only the rich could afford a Stihl! Yep shame that Poulan was passed along so many times and the quality slipped with each new company that bought the brand.
I've got a lot of saws but I can only run one at a time! Yeah according to the receipt for this Poulan, it was $279.95 before tax, brand new in 1984. Adjusted for inflation, that's almost $700 in today's money. And it's a magnesium split-case construction, professional grade saw.

It probably has some minor historical significance because 1984 was the year Emerson Electric (who owned Poulan) was bought out by Electrolux, which is when Poulan really began to decline. That'd make it one of the last "old Poulans."

I had a vendor patient who dealt with his company's product in walmart. They kept telling them to cut the price or they wouldn't carry the product. To the point where they couldn't maintain the quality at the price point. They were not willing to cut their quality to meet the price and pulled the product out. Some companies who kept cutting went from a top name product to junk. Poulan, Schwinn and Mongoose bikes are a few examples.
Thanks on the bucket. I really needed the lift height. This is all I'm doing to it though..I think..maybe... :D
Yep, that's why Stihl and Husqvarna flourished. They sold through independent dealers and they have a few separate "consumer grade" $200 special models that they can sell at the box stores. And companies like Mcculloch, Homelite and Poulan wound up where they are- bankrupt, bought and resold half a dozen times, and now sold as box store budget brands.

Yeah the lift height will be a huge help. Gotta be able to fill that dump cart easily. Speaking of projects and dump carts... hydraulic dump cart?

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Some have a gearbox/belt drive, but to me that seems like a more annoying setup to use (having to shift gears, particularly reverse). I really like the dual controller/hydraulic motor setup, it's fast (in it's "medium" speed configuration, it goes faster than I can comfortably walk, in it's "fast" speed, it'll scare me on a sulky. And it has plenty of pushing power during the winter, with a 54" plow, with 10" plow wings, loaded with snow, it'll push it no problem, if the wheels get traction. The main problem I've had with it is getting the engine to start when it's really cold outside (the Kohler CV22S was setup in a "summer only" configuration).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got my dad's old poleland and homelite seen the owner's manual to the homelite my girlfriend wanted to throw it away I thought no got new friends that may need to see it .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got a grillo 110 gear box walk behind it will roll in the road gear with me on a trailer , still got the wheels adjusted in to cultivate corn been that way a year .

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
If an electric blanket will work on a Volkswagen it should work on a mower. Just remember to keep it dry.
I've looked at heating it a bit, it's difficult to have a setup that works while the unit is being trailered around all day, as it takes a lot of amps to get heat with a 12V system vs 110V at home. From what I can tell, the main problem is moisture condenses and freezes in the carb when I turn it off, and then when I try to start it again, it needs to melt. I've heated the air going into the air filter by drawing it from over the exhaust muffler, I generally remember to close the choke when I turn the machine off (a small amount of water always freezes right where the choke plate goes, preventing it from closing all the way), and I've put in a larger CCA battery & cables between it and the starter, and a car solenoid, which combined keeps it working to about -30C. If I can come up with a good way to get starter spray into the carb, that'll get it down to about -35C or more (it's just annoying and time consuming now to take the air filter housing apart with mitts on to spray it while starting the engine).

·
Premium Member
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,536
I've got a lot of saws but I can only run one at a time! Yeah according to the receipt for this Poulan, it was $279.95 before tax, brand new in 1984. Adjusted for inflation, that's almost $700 in today's money. And it's a magnesium split-case construction, professional grade saw.

It probably has some minor historical significance because 1984 was the year Emerson Electric (who owned Poulan) was bought out by Electrolux, which is when Poulan really began to decline. That'd make it one of the last "old Poulans."
Yep, that's why Stihl and Husqvarna flourished. They sold through independent dealers and they have a few separate "consumer grade" $200 special models that they can sell at the box stores. And companies like Mcculloch, Homelite and Poulan wound up where they are- bankrupt, bought and resold half a dozen times, and now sold as box store budget brands.
Yeah the lift height will be a huge help. Gotta be able to fill that dump cart easily. Speaking of projects and dump carts... hydraulic dump cart?
That may be one of the last true commercial Poulans made before they went downhill. Neat classic piece.

I have thought about a hydraulic dump trailer. I have another spool valve on the shelf. Hmmm... Nah, the hookup and required hoses and setup would make it more of a PITA than it would be worth.

I built my curl cylinder outer bracket out of 3/8"x2" bar stock earlier. Need to get to TSC and pick up a 1" pin for it. I took it out to try it and it is rock solid. No bouncy rattling bucket. Solid as a rock. Bulldozed a few sumac stalks and dug the dirt a bit. I had no ballast in the rear and had zero traction but the bucket felt solid like a bulldozer.

Tore it down late to make it easy to weld on few gussets, a couple greasable bushings, and maybe paint over the next few days. I work tomorrow and am off for 2 more days after.
20200522_172753.jpg
20200522_180740.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
I've looked at heating it a bit, it's difficult to have a setup that works while the unit is being trailered around all day, as it takes a lot of amps to get heat with a 12V system vs 110V at home. From what I can tell, the main problem is moisture condenses and freezes in the carb when I turn it off, and then when I try to start it again, it needs to melt. I've heated the air going into the air filter by drawing it from over the exhaust muffler, I generally remember to close the choke when I turn the machine off (a small amount of water always freezes right where the choke plate goes, preventing it from closing all the way), and I've put in a larger CCA battery & cables between it and the starter, and a car solenoid, which combined keeps it working to about -30C. If I can come up with a good way to get starter spray into the carb, that'll get it down to about -35C or more (it's just annoying and time consuming now to take the air filter housing apart with mitts on to spray it while starting the engine).
Any chance of just letting it run between stops? I have worked out doors at those temps and trying to start equipment more than once a day would be no fun at all. We just let everything run. Its also better for the equipment to keep it going.

3,082 Posts
Steve, I seen these two machines on my local craigslist. SC2400 for $10,500 and a $7300 for 9100. You may have some interests.

01616_5AOIXQDHmB7_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_7GrcRJAzfeM_1200x900.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Any chance of just letting it run between stops? I have worked out doors at those temps and trying to start equipment more than once a day would be no fun at all. We just let everything run. Its also better for the equipment to keep it going.
I have done that, it's worked some days, but it's also screwed up the fuel pump by getting oil into the pulse tube from the crankcase.

But I still sometimes do that on the really cold days now, as it's fairly rare that we get both really cold and a dump of snow. The rest of my equipment is pretty good about starting (Toro 21" single stage blowers, Ariens 28" blower, 36" Power Brush [occasionally need to use the electric starter]. And now I need to rejig this new Snapper for starting in the cold, bigger battery/cables/solenoid, and then whatever engine I use will get some cold weather mods.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Another day of basement cleanout at my Dad's. Took the whole family and two Ford Explorers today.

My wife packed up my great-grandparents' old china set. I spent over $150 at Lowe's to buy packing materials. This is service for 12, with a bunch of serving pieces. We're saving it for one of our kids.

Filled one truck with the china and a few other things, including a Regulator wall clock (mini-grandfather clock?) that was a gift to my parents from another grandfather.

Also saved an old wallpaper board (table) that was from a great-grandfather on my Dad's side. It needs some restoration work, spent too many years in basements.

Still need to make some more trips to get some other items from the basement, but we need to start making more room at our house first.

Mike

20200503_121806.jpg

Reactions: Steve Urquell
1521 - 1540 of 4446 Posts