My Tractor Forum banner
14081 - 14100 of 14286 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,532 Posts
I have no idea. I'm also not sure that I believe them, although it's possible. Trying to find parts for this thing through any normal online channel has been very difficult. Aside from basic van / dash parts (most of which have also been discontinued by Ford long ago).

The Ford Truck service shop basically refused to look at it, age and parts availability came up in the discussion...

Mike

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
14,103 Posts
Very cool, looks like a nice setup! Can't wait to see how it performs.
Well, not so good so far... Doesn't seem to be actually taking off what must have been chrome paint. It's just bubbling it, so there is likely rust behind the paint but the paint is so thick it doesn't budge. It's a start tho, and it will make it easier to wire wheel it off, or blast it off anyway...

Of course, I've got too many projects on the go. My connector channels for our new mini quonset hut finally got here on Tuesday so tonight I broke out the brand new rotary hammer drill and started mounting them so we can get the quonset up..

Here's my first hole with the new drill

I must say, while its not a DeWalt or any fancy brand like that, this little unit goes through the concrete like BUTTER! Where was this baby when I was putting up chain link fence posts using my FIL's vintage 60s Craftsman 3/8" "hammer drill"?

Well, I guess the only spot where it DIDN't go through the concrete like butter was the ONE spot where I hit some rebar! Good thing I wasn't holding on too tight, it would have broken me! What does one do when one runs into rebar like that? The concrete drill isn't going through it, so do I get out a regular drill and some metal bits and try drilling through the rebar or what?

Here's the one side I got done tonight, minus the exciting hole with rebar

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Could just relocate (drill a new one) the hole on the steel inch or two from the old and then drill new in concrete. Of course just have to hope you don't hit a new one. Do you feel lucky?
MikeC

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
Good luck with the rotary hammer! Mine is a 1 1/8" Bauer (corded) from Harbor Freight. Definitely not fancy. But man, is it effective!

It has helped drill (to split) probably 4-5 granite boulders by this point. I timed it, vs my 18V DeWalt hammer drill. It drilled deeper in 1 minute than the DeWalt did in 15 minutes! I was flabbergasted.

It was kind of a game-changer, given the quantity and depth of holes that were needed. It's a pretty amazing tool, when that's what you need. Plus it can act as just a powered chisel, so people apparently use them to help remove tile adhesive, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Got a Milwaukee that does a decent job. But you have to use good bits and not the cheap ones. As for your rebar just drop a metal bit in and start drilling. I have eventually cut threw with the concrete bit. But it's hard on them and takes some time.

·
14,103 Posts
Could just relocate (drill a new one) the hole on the steel inch or two from the old and then drill new in concrete. Of course just have to hope you don't hit a new one. Do you feel lucky?
MikeC
Not so sure about that, since what has to go into these connectors has curves on it... don’t want to put in the anchors in a spot where they might block the mounting of the pieces... time to consult the company

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,570 Posts
You may have to just chop out enough concrete to get a grinding wheel in there (41/2" x 1/8" cutting wheel) and cut the rebar...that is tough stuff... a reciprocating saw would have a tough time with it..then use fresh cement and either drill again...or just put the anchor in the fresh cement and let it cure

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Ok guy's this is why advanced planing and layout is a very important step. Who stuck that rebar in the wrong spot. 40 lashes with a wet noodle.

·
Super Moderator
37,134 Posts
Weed whacked the ditch this morning, going to trim around the entire property as I may be hosting a family to swim in the next week or two. Fortunately the trimming last two good mowings before I have to trim again.

·
Administrator
17,825 Posts
Weed whacked the ditch this morning, going to trim around the entire property as I may be hosting a family to swim in the next week or two. Fortunately the trimming last two good mowings before I have to trim again.
Or three bad mowings. :whistle: Good that you got that done. Wouldn't want folks thinking you're a slacker who spends all his time on computer forums!:devilish:
MikeC

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Looks better than mine that should have been mowed two weeks ago. Bring on the hay equipment. I really need to get the yard all mowed some time this summer.

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,094 ·
I'd drill the rebar with a HSS bit then clean up with the concrete bit. I've drilled rebar before and it ain't too hard.

·
14,103 Posts
I'd drill the rebar with a HSS bit then clean up with the concrete bit. I've drilled rebar before and it ain't too hard.
The company got back to me this morning and said to go with Option C:, punching a new hole in the mount. So, TractorTag for the win, I guess. I could try both, only punch a new hole if I can’t get through the rebar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I got the pressure washer out today and pressure washed the Lawnboy I picked up as well as that tractor I've been working on for an old coworker of mine. I put some gas in the tractor, and after a bit of playing with the choke it started up and ran on it's own. After I got it to idle, I put it in year and drove it around a bit. Seemed to be working okay. The spindles were totally frozen but I figured I may as well try to free them up. Worst case scenario, I fry the belt. So I feathered the lever to engage them back and forth a few times with the engine running and eventually they broke free. They actually feel pretty smooth so I don't think I need to replace them. I decided to put it through its paces to see how it performed so I cut the grass with it. It did remarkably well, but it was cutting out, almost like it was running out of gas. Not quite sure what that issue is, maybe dirt in the carb or a clogged fuel line/filter. I'm gonna change the fuel line, fuel filter, oil, spark plugs and grease everything and go from there.
20210722_173948.jpg

As for the Lawnboy, I took the carb off and threw it in the ultrasonic cleaner. It smelled like stale gas and water so I suspect that has something to do with it not running.
20210722_173754.jpg
20210722_173834.jpg

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have no idea. I'm also not sure that I believe them, although it's possible. Trying to find parts for this thing through any normal online channel has been very difficult. Aside from basic van / dash parts (most of which have also been discontinued by Ford long ago).

The Ford Truck service shop basically refused to look at it, age and parts availability came up in the discussion...

Mike
I guess I don't need any old ford rvs than I have a 79 flat bed in the barn I guess there stoping making parts for has a fuel pump that runs off the cam .

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I know I have said this a thousand times but I just got into a mini peanut butter cracker eating contest with the dogs seeing if they would back out you can't beat the small crackers for peanut butter crackers.

14081 - 14100 of 14286 Posts