My Tractor Forum banner
14041 - 14060 of 14281 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Copper is antibacterial. As far as any benefit medically I doubt you'd see any benefit. These are meant to bind you and keep the muscles from taking a huge strain which they do. If they are restricting your motion then they are supportive. If they don't help then don't use it.

As I said I only use one for situations where I am gonna be lifting and twisting in a way that I normally don't. I take it off right after the lifting is done. Otherwise the muscles begin to rely on the belt instead of staying strong.
I wore a back brace occasionally when I was working at Lowe's and I was constantly lifting heavy stuff. 60 and 80 lb bags of concrete, 6x6s, sheets of drywall and plywood, concrete block, bags of mulch, etc. At my new job I don't have to lift nearly as much as I was lifting before, I can lift most everything with the forklift so I don't bother with it.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
I hope you put a belt on the forklift, then! Or maybe some synthetic hydraulic oil.

• Love
Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
We've got an air quality alert day today. It is really sunny and dry but the haze in the air is shocking. Visibility is terrible. They said on the news it is all smoke from the wildfires out west blowing in. Here's a look outside at work.
View attachment 2512983
Time for 46 states to take matters to another level. This stuff should work both ways.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
Thanks Steve. Wow, those look pretty giant by comparison!

I'd prefer to stay away from needing to modify the front end to go to 4-bolt wheels. But you suddenly have me thinking out-loud, based on your side-by-side pics.

I wonder if someone could use cheap used "normal" wheels, and cut off the outer rim portion. Take it down to just a smaller diameter disk (the "web" of steel between the hub, and where the actual tire is), keeping the center hub & bearings. Drill 4 appropriate holes, and bolt it to a golf-cart wheel, to act as an adapter to let "normal" front axles use 4-bolt wheels. Or weld it on, though that's much more permanent, of course. I'd want to start with bolts, if that was a reasonable option.
I have wondered about that myself. I all ready have 1" dia axles with bearings. Maybe heavier hubs with larger bearings or just make some hubs with the needed back spacing. I have been eyeballing a set of 14" atv's for the back but will have to fab some adapters to fit my 14" wheels which I have plenty of.

·
Premium Member
4,716 Posts
I had considered this initially but my 3000s needed flange bearings anyways. After all was said and done I was better off spending the money to get boat hubs with everything included. Lug nuts, bearings, seals, hubs. The bearings are way over better than the flange bearings are--especially on my loader GT where it carries 700lbs on the front when loaded.

I'm getting tired of fixing flats on my XT3 with turfs and tubes on it. It will be next on the conversion front. I hope the 3000 series spindles will fit the axle. I bought an extra set of 3000 spindles off ebay so I could convert them w/o having the tractor down. They can convert back easily if I so desire--but why would I?
Are you getting your golf cart tires with rims? I have one of the tractors that needs front tires. May just pull a wheel and do some measuring to see if four lug trailer hubs will fit. Then the problem would be do they have the same four bolt lug pattern.

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
That nasty air quality made it to Newport, RI. I didn't take a pic, but the haze over the harbor didn't look "normal" at all (even for a humid/hazy day).

Air quality alerts as well. First day with no rain since I can remember, and now this...

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,052 ·
Are you getting your golf cart tires with rims? I have one of the tractors that needs front tires. May just pull a wheel and do some measuring to see if four lug trailer hubs will fit. Then the problem would be do they have the same four bolt lug pattern.
I get take offs for free from our cart shops. Pattern is 4/4 for these.

Screenshot_2021-07-20-21-04-30(1)_compress5.jpg

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I hope you put a belt on the forklift, then! Or maybe some synthetic hydraulic oil.
Ugh, I'm not a huge fan of the forklifts we have. They are Hysters. Two 80s (~8k lb lift capacity) and a 60 (~6k lb lift capacity). I really do not like Hysters. The brakes are super touchy and they don't have a separate clutch pedal so it can be tricky to finesse things with them (and you need finesse when you have 24' long bundles of pipe on the forks). The hydraulic levers are far apart and have a really long throw so it's not very ergonomic to operate two levers at the same time. The shift lever and the parking break are sticky and every time I get off of it I kick the latch to open the engine bay and the whole seat pan lifts up. The 80s have 8' long forks and the 60 has 6' long forks. Standard forks are 4'. The 8' forks are nice because you can lift 2 pallets at once and you can load and unload a truck from either side, but the 6' forks are kind useless. Too short to unload from either side or pick up two pallets, too long to be nimble.

At Lowe's we had Hamech forklifts which were badge engineered, made by Komatsu. They were 65s, so 6.5k lb lift capacity. I loved them, they were beat up but they were so easy to operate. 3 pedals with a separate clutch, smooth, tight, progressive brakes, easy to shift gears, short throw on the hydraulic levers, good visibility, all-around comfortable. I miss them! (Don't mind the Yale reach truck behind it, those things were turds lol.)
IMG_20210529_051628902.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,054 ·
So I held on to all my vacation time thru the covid surge thinking I might need it if I didn't have work to do. Some weeks we were only scheduled for 3-4 days instead of 5. Well I ended up nearly maxing my PDOs out and have over 300hrs.

I put in for a week of vacation a month for the rest of the year. So I only work 3 weeks a month till January. I also have a couple of days off here and there and may take more per month lol. First day is next week then a week off starting 8-14. No plans yet. Just got it approved.

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
If anyone here has earned their PTO, it's definitely you, Randy!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14,057 ·
If anyone here has earned their PTO, it's definitely you, Randy!

Mike
Thanks Mike. We are back to a Covid surge again. Had 28 Covid patients in the hospital the other day. At our peak we had 54 so we are headed that way again.

·
Premium Member
4,404 Posts
That's awesome on the vacation, Steve! Congratulations, that should be great. Taking a week off per month sounds fantastic. Enjoy your much-deserved relaxation time!

That's not good about your Covid counts going up, though. I hope that changes!

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
11,531 Posts
Thanks Mike. We are back to a Covid surge again. Had 28 Covid patients in the hospital the other day. At our peak we had 54 so we are headed that way again.
I'm so scared of this, both during this summer, and when schools reopen in the fall.

My youngest son is too young for the vaccine, but all the restrictions are being relaxed, and no one is enforcing the mask rules that are supposed to be in place for unvaccinated people.

My wife is clearly in denial ("covid fatigue" let's just call it what it is: DENIAL) about this, which doesn't help.

Mike

Reactions: Bebop
14041 - 14060 of 14281 Posts