My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

12881 - 12889 of 12889 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12,884 ·
The price on everything has gone up so much no one is buying. And now loan rates are going up.
Yeah, I hope it gets to where they have to drop prices to sell stuff. As long as people are paying it they'll keep going up. I'm fine to run the long game. I don't buy high.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,834 Posts
I had no idea that Cub Cadet sold tractors that big! I realize that they are rebranded Japanese machines, but I had always thought that Cub Cadet models topped out as garden tractors.

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
Completed machining the second hub, and then welding the new pulleys to the hubs. Started making replacement spacers (old ones broke while disassembling the spindles), and was about 1/2 done the first one when I realized it was too thin. I had measured the original part and the outside was 1/8", so I just started with using 1/8" steel, but the center has a lip so that side only presses against the inner race of the bearing instead of rubbing on the side of the bearing. Tomorrow, I start again with 3/16" steel (the thickness of the lip) and machine down the outside down to 1/8". Then move on to cleaning up all the parts so they are a slide-fit instead of a hammer-it-together fit.

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12,887 ·
I had no idea that Cub Cadet sold tractors that big! I realize that they are rebranded Japanese machines, but I had always thought that Cub Cadet models topped out as garden tractors.
When they partnered with Yanmar you could get a 48HP Lx490 beast

·
Premium Member
11,260 Posts
I use Mean Green at 100% strength. It's made by Rust-Oleum, you can get it at Lowes or Dollar General. Simple Green works as well but it will etch aluminum.
I found Mean Green at Lowe's. It says to not to use it on aluminum. Then I looked at the labels on a bunch of other cleaners, which all said the same thing.

Maybe I'll try the Dawn?

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
I found Mean Green at Lowe's. It says to not to use it on aluminum. Then I looked at the labels on a bunch of other cleaners, which all said the same thing.

Maybe I'll try the Dawn?

Mike
I think I forgot to reply to that earlier. Regular Simple Green is aggressive on aluminum, and wouldn't be my first choice.

But Simple Green HD is supposed to be safe for aluminum. This used to be listed on their website, but the last time I looked I did not find that listed (I think it had been in their FAQs). I've had no issues with carbs, etc, that I've cleaned in it. Highly recommended by me, it's pretty cheap ($15 for a gallon of concentrate), easy to find locally, and very effective, including removing oil and stuff. I think I dilute it to around 1:5 or so when using it in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Simple Green 128 oz. Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner-2110000413421 - The Home Depot

I also got a gallon of Simple Green Extreme Aircraft and Precision Cleaner off Amazon for $14 shipped a few months ago. That explicitly states it's safe for aluminum. I haven't tried it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Aircraft-Precision-Cleaner-13406/dp/B001VXU7OE/

12881 - 12889 of 12889 Posts