My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

12841 - 12860 of 12910 Posts

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Looks branneaux
Joe, looks like you'll have another showpiece chainsaw when you are done with that!
Thanks guys, it'll be one of the nicest saws I have in my little collection. I'm excited to see it all together with new plastics and everything.

I got sent home from work early today because I went wayyy over on my timecard, so I got to work on yet another saw today, the 562xp that I've had in pieces for about a year. I got it reassembled with a new Meteor piston (Italian made, aftermarket but very high quality), and new OEM for everything else. I need one bolt for the muffler and I'll be able to start it. 562XPs had some reliability issues, but they are real screamers when they are running right. I'll be excited to run this one.
IMG-20210610-WA0000.jpeg
IMG_20210610_190554965.jpg
IMG_20210610_190620302.jpg
IMG_20210610_190609803.jpg

4,904 Posts
Randy after retiring I got titled "chief cook and bottle washer" by the boss so I try to make it last us a couple of days; or at least until she says "I'm tired of this".:rolleyes:
I'm retired too and my wife works. Those days she works, I cook. She doesn't get home until 9:00 pm and has worked a 12 to 14 hr day. I cook and do the dishes and pots and clean up. The days she's off she cooks or we go out for dinner.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Today was a fairly busy day, I helped make chilly , cut the lawn, rearranged the apartment, did the laundry ect . And I was talking to a friend and he told me that his big operation went well. They managed to his issues that has been going on for 20 years. They always known about it but the doctors wouldn’t do anything so now the fella who’s in his late 50s early 60s has a body of a 107 year old. He told me today he hasn’t felt so good in years but he has more surgery to do in the near future. But I wouldn’t want to hear the doctors say” we almost lost you “ or “ how are you even alive “ that’s what his wife said yesterday when I called. I told her “ just let him sleep and I’ll call tomorrow “

My landlords where going to throw a desk out to the dump tomorrow so I asked if I could have it. So now I have it and it’s the perfect size !

I like how the two shelves slide out because if I wanted to use the radio I don’t have to worry about it over heating. I only wish I could have fit mor vinyl out but I guess this is fairly good lol.

tomorrow is my landlord’s 20th anniversary with the organization. They’ve only had housing for the last 11 years, one of myfirst gigs was actually renovating the current office/ apartments. So if you where to stop the paint off the ceilings you’d still probably see my boot prints like in the storage room that isn’t painted.

also we do a news segment each week at my other day program each Friday and tomorrow is going to be a big day, one of the workers have been reposted somewhere else so we are going to surprise her.

on Saturday we plan on taking the Honda to the shop. I was more than pleased to hear Rodney isn’t a slacker and doesn’t like a half done job. My friend told me he also is paranoid on how stuff is done and takes great pride in his work and customers, so that makes me happy.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Mowed the lawn tonight after work, used the Craftsman GS6500 and the Trac Vac 380.

The Trac Vac started on one pull (temps in the upper 60s). BUT, before I started it, I checked the bucket like I always do (it fills with rain water). I noticed a foul smell, and saw something floating in the water.

Stupidly, I started dumping the water in the garden, then really got a whiff of putrid horror. I realized that was probably a dead mouse floating in there, so I dumped it outside the garden. Somehow managed to hold my breath long enough and not puke, but I'm still nauseous just thinking about that odor, over two hours later.

Don't know how long it was stewing in there, but it's been about a week since I last mowed, it was in the 90s for a few days, and rained a few times since then. Hopefully some other animal took it away for a late night snack...

I also found a dead garter snake in the lawn that undoubtedly got hit by the mower tonight.

But, that was the first time in all the years of owning the Trac Vac that I found a mouse in it. I'm figuring he climbed up the chute, through the impeller housing, and up the top chute. Have no idea why he would have then jumped into the bucket.

This was like having an oversized version of one of those (5-gallon) bucket traps!

After mowing, I refilled the fuel tanks. The tractor's brand new fuel cap was stuck (very hard to remove), and a piece of the gasket tore off and fell into the tank. Thankfully, I have just the tool for that, but I'm really annoyed that this happened. I really don't want to buy another already, but I don't see this doing anything but getting worse now that it's torn.

Mike

20210610_203606.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
In other news...

The Knockout roses are growing well. They seem to have been knocked down by the heavy rain the other day, but are perking back up.

The big Rhododendron is starting to bloom. The bumblebees seem to be happy about that.

I ran out of time and energy to pull the push mower apart (needs carb clean / rebuild and a new primer bulb), so the weeds in the mulch / planting beds won't be going away any time soon...

Mike

20210610_192109.jpg
20210610_192429.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Wow, huge improvement!!!

Mike

Reactions: silvertonebetty

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I love doing it like that. Cook for the work week. Smart (y)
It just sits in the refrigerator and eventually gets thrown on the compost pile here. I think she could fill 6 refrigerators with left overs if we had them and never touch any of it as there is stuff in there now that should have been tossed weeks ago just taking up space.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
Yes, I've used those, as well as a mini-rototiller (trimmer attachment).

When they're this tall, I like to start by knocking them down/chopping them up with the push mower and bagger.

Not sure if the power tools are making it worse (spreading weed seeds around).

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
Continued with taking off the spindles from my Husqvarna deck, and disassembling them. They fought me at every point. I had tried heating the pulley hubs, then pounding out the spindle, nothing doing. It sat all day with PB blaster and it didn't help. So, I cut off the outside of the pulleys, then pounded the spindles out of the deck (they needed some assistance, as there is also a thin shield that covers the bearing, and extended to just over the edge of the spindle housing, and the shield is also slightly larger than the opening in the deck, so they got bent up removing the spindle assemblies).

I then tried just putting in my 12 ton press, but that also was a no-go, as the top cross member bent without the spindle budging. Then I tried using a rosebud tip on the O/A torch for mor heat, and then hit it while it was being pressed until the O tank was empty. At this point, I considered cutting off the hub, and possibly the end off the spindle, then weld on a new end, and did some brief research on finding a 1" shaft with a keyway in it. I think I found one (a shaft with keyway) but bizarrely the site doesn't list the shaft diameter...

Anyway, put the second spindle ot the side (the first came apart yesterday just using a BFH), and started on the third spindle. Also cut off the outside of the pulley, then noticed that there was a small gap between the hub and the shield (not sure why, if the pounding on it I did yesterday slightly separated it, or if it just didn't go together the whole way), and decided to try using a bearing separator I have on it.

Surprisingly, after cranking down on the nuts, there was a pop and the hub had moved up a bit on the spindle shaft. After unscrewing the mashed bolt, some relatively light pressure from the press finished getting the spindle shaft out. And, of course, the press also had to be used to get the bottom bearing off the spindle shaft, and the top bearing had to be pounded out of the housing to complete the disassembly.

Went back to the second spindle, hammered the shield (bent upwards when removing the assembly from the deck) mostly flat, put the bearing separator on it, and with alternating tightening/hammering on splitter, I got it to go into the much smaller gap between the hub and the shield. Just tightening the separator at this point didn't seem to be working, so I put it back in the press, and the combined pressure from the separator and the press managed to get it apart (followed by more pressing and pounding to get all of it disassembled). Even the keys in the hubs had to be pounded out with a hammer...

I then used an angle grinder to trim the bits of the pulley sticking out from one of hte hubs (this is faster and much less stressful on the lathe doing interrupted cuts rounding it off), then in the lathe to remove most of the remaining bit of the pulley so the new weld-on pulley I bought sits flush and is centered.

I need to repeat this for the other hub, then fix the damage to various other parts from being hammered, and get all the rust off everything so it all slides together without needing to be pressed/hammered (and coat/fill everything with grease before doing final assembly).

This might seem like a lot of work, but before doing it, I looked online for replacement spindles, and while I didn't look for 3rd party ones, buying oem parts for the spindles (as they don't sell the assembly) went over $500 for one before I stopped adding...

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts
Before and after with the radio system View attachment 2507343 View attachment 2507344

I think it look so much cleaner with the desk
In the "after" picture, do I see an 8-track player on the middle shelf? I haven't seen one of those in 40 years. That is the one format I never got involved with. I agree with you that the desk is perfect for your set up. And I love your "old school" set up. Back in the day a person could customize the sound to fit the room's acoustics.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts
Yesterday, I went to the bank to set up and finalize my last retirement account. Then I went to the Pharmacy to pick up 2 meds ($92), then filled the truck up (half a tank still cost me $50!) I got 3 bacon cheese burgers off the dollar menu at Burger King ($3.18) and then went home. By the time I got home, my back was screaming at me and so was my gouty foot. I barely got to bed and laid down. My wife was just getting up from her afternoon nap and we chatted for a few minutes and she let me sleep. I've got appointments with 2 doctors next week and I hope I can get some sort of a solution at least for the gout.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
After working at the office yesterday, and before going home and cutting the lawn, I made a detour to HF to pick up a pipe threader.

My immediate need is to shorten and thread two pieces of 3/4-inch galvanized pipe for a project on my new boat trailer. I need to install end caps on the ends. These were pre-threaded on the ends, so I only need to make two threads.

Anyone here have experience with one of these?

Seems like oil, patience and clearing out the chips as you go are key points. The second guy clearly got himself frustrated.

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
In the "after" picture, do I see an 8-track player on the middle shelf? I haven't seen one of those in 40 years. That is the one format I never got involved with. I agree with you that the desk is perfect for your set up. And I love your "old school" set up. Back in the day a person could customize the sound to fit the room's acoustics.
Yes that’s an 8 track player for my single 8 track lol.and to be honest I hate it . And yeah those old systems were pretty cool

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
There is no comparison...Ridgid is the only one to use ...I have them for business...the HF one is a toy...if you measure the pieces you need...just go to HD ...they "cut to sketch"...meaning they will cut a piece to your specification

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12,860 ·
Yesterday, I went to the bank to set up and finalize my last retirement account. Then I went to the Pharmacy to pick up 2 meds ($92), then filled the truck up (half a tank still cost me $50!) I got 3 bacon cheese burgers off the dollar menu at Burger King ($3.18) and then went home. By the time I got home, my back was screaming at me and so was my gouty foot. I barely got to bed and laid down. My wife was just getting up from her afternoon nap and we chatted for a few minutes and she let me sleep. I've got appointments with 2 doctors next week and I hope I can get some sort of a solution at least for the gout.
Sorry Joe. Treatment for the gout will probably involve an anti-inflammatory to get it under control then a med to keep it from occurring. Diet change may be necessary. The burgers are loaded with purines which can cause the gout flareups. Sorry man.

Reactions: bontai Joe
12841 - 12860 of 12910 Posts