My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

12801 - 12820 of 12910 Posts

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts
Jere39, I have been down in your neck of the woods a few times recently. There are a couple of auctioneers in your area that often have good stuff for sale. And my wife likes going to St. Padre Pio's shrine in Barto. This week has been unproductive for me. My back isn't getting better and now I have gout in my left big toe. I made an appointment with my doc, but the earliest I can get in is next week. They offered to get me in sooner to see one of the other docs, but I like the one I usually see and she knows me which saves me from starting from scratch with one of the others.

Since walking around is hard for me right now, I have mostly been sitting at the 'puter searching various auctions. There is one for a 70 year old Hardware & Plumbing supply store. Lots of new-old-stock items, some used tools, and lots of new stuff, but it is 80 miles south of me near Valley Forge Park. I'm gonna have to think hard about that one. Today, it was HOT and HUMID and we had SEVERE thunderstorms roll thru most of the afternoon. It got really dark here and the local weather guesser says we got over 4" of rain today. It was just a miserable day. The grass is getting really high. My wife got scared seeing 2 eyeballs looking at her when she was walking out to her car last night. Turned out to be a small white tail fawn bedded down for the night. The little deer didn't move, even with my wife walking within 2 feet of where she was, even with a flashlight shining right on it. The only indication of life was that it blinked. Supposed to rain again tomorrow, and then maybe cool off a little on Friday.

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
Started figuring out what needs to be done to get my Husqvarna 52" walkbehind assembled (as I had taken off the deck to make a brush/snowblower attachment for snow removal). I managed to lose the bolts for connecting the main drive unit to the deck frame, so I need new ones for that, amd all the spindle bearings are shot. The idlers are all good (one is beginning to go), but the pivot joint for the tensioning idler is worn so much that the idler is out of alignment with the rest of the pulleys.

First, the frame and deck are VERY solidly built. Compared to my Snapper 52" unit, the frame for holding the deck in place is easily 3 times the weight of the Snapper frame.

The deck is both thinner and thicker than the Snapper deck, in that most of it is made of 1/8" steel (vs 3/16" for the Snapper deck), but around the spindles and deck mounting points, they welded on 3/16" steel plate on top of the 1/8" steel.

Here's the idler pivot point that's worn out. It's not a completely terrible design, in that it's greasable and will last a long time, but once it goes, you need to buy a new, fairly expensive assembly, not just replace a bushing. I'm going to cut out the tube and weld on a new one, then make a new center shaft, so I can put some bushings in it instead of just buying new bits.

Finally, I got one of the spindles apart. They all are rusted together, not just the pulley on top, which is expected, but also to the bearings and spacer inside the spindle, because there's no grease fitting to put grease on the inside. And then, I found that Husqvarna did the dumbest thing for the bearings....instead of just using standard, commonly available 6205 bearings and a slightly longer spacer, they used much less common Fafnir RA100RR bearings, which are 6205 bearings, but with a eccentric locking collar. The actual locking collar isn't used, but the bearing is a little wider. So, perhaps to save a dollar or two on the spacer, they specced bearings that are twice as expensive.... I'll get the cheaper bearings and make a new spacer so the bearings are the same distance apart.

·
Super Moderator
36,502 Posts
Filling the swimming pool, doing some landscaping and hopefully getting the power washer up and running today.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,355 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes from many of you on my plumbing "event". It seems to be resolved to working order. I will do a few preventative updates to other vanities to avoid similar behind the wall failures. I guess based on the condition of my water, and the age (40 years) of the plumbing here we are approaching end of life on some of the infrastructure.

To answer a specific question about Home Owners Insurance coverage. Here is my understanding of my own coverage, and as I understand it typical of Home Owners insurance policies at least in this area.

• The cost of the actual plumbing repairs to the pipes and fittings that caused the leak are not covered.
  • Consequential damage (such as the ceiling demo and replace if necessary) opening walls, mopping, drying, repainting, . . . would be covered by my HO policy. But, I'll do all that myself (with able assist from my bride).
So, the plumbing bill would not be covered, and I will not even file a claim for the work I do myself. My insurance coverage will continue to be discounted by xx years of no claims.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Day two of "new building testing", tested the fire pump and got drenched in the process, had 2 hoses fail, and the IT guys got spooked during the generator transfer test. Worst part was having to walk through inventorying extinguishers with soaking wet feet..

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I spent a few minutes looking into my drill press, and the large amount of runout in the chuck.

I had tried a different (unlnown) chuck yesterday, with no apparent improvement. So today I used a dial indicator and checked my chuck.

With a ground steel dowel (3/8", I think) clamped in it, measuring about 1/4" below the jaws of the chuck, I measured 0.015" total indicated runout. As in, turning it through a full turn using the pulleys at the top, the dowel moved as much as 0.015", relative to the indicator.

I removed the arbor (the "adapter" that the chuck sits on), it had a bunch of oil on the tapered surface, and some little bumps of hardened stuff. I cleaned up the taper to remove the oil, then used Scotchbrite to remove the harder gunk, and wiped it with alcohol. I cleaned the female taper as best I could with alcohol and a paper towel. From what I'd read, I don't think there is supposed to be any lubricant on these tapers.

Re-assembled and checked again, and measured 0.004" runout. And, with a longer dowel in the chuck, the end of the dowel is no longer visibly moving around while it's spinning, which is a very welcome change. I could also try using something like a bottle brush to clean the female taper in the press.

So, not perfect, but a lot better, at least! I'll have to put a longer drill bit in it at some point, and see how that looks when spinning. The bulb in the press's lamp burned out, unfortunately :) I'll have to figure out what kind of bulb that is.

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,998 Posts
Good thing I bought another tube of concrete sealant tonight when I went out to restock on ant bait... Of course, I also picked up a bag of quickcrete concrete grout, maybe I'll tear out all the sealant and go for a permanent solution....
Well, just when you thought the party was over....

Mortar'd up the cracks I could see in the concrete last night (fun times!), went in this morning, hmmm... Still seems to be a few extra ants on the floor... Dropped some ant bait behind the dryer and... 5 minutes later I've got another ant super-highway, coming from behind the dryer.... Guess I'll have to grout the entire length of the base of the basement wall where it joins the foundation. I suppose I really should break out the masonry wheel and the angle grinder and actually cut a slot, shouldn't I?

4,904 Posts
I drop my Jeep off at the dealership for an oil change. I saw a Ram pickup that listed for $106,000.00. That's right. I couldn't believe it. They had four of them for at that price. By the way, they only charged me $43 for the oil change of 7 quarts and filter.

2021 RAM 1500 TRX® CREW CAB 4X4 5'7 BOX"
List Price:$106,909

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
Switched the A/C on in the travel trailer for the first time. The previous owner did not even know if it worked. So far the A/C is working well. But for some reason the breaker for the refrigerator was tripped. Good thing I came out here this evening to see if the Wi-Fi would work at this range. Anyway nothing food wise was lost. But my bottled water could be colder. I will have to keep a eye on the breaker for while to see what happens. Everything was working fine before the A/C was turned on.
Well, just when you thought the party was over....

Mortar'd up the cracks I could see in the concrete last night (fun times!), went in this morning, hmmm... Still seems to be a few extra ants on the floor... Dropped some ant bait behind the dryer and... 5 minutes later I've got another ant super-highway, coming from behind the dryer.... Guess I'll have to grout the entire length of the base of the basement wall where it joins the foundation. I suppose I really should break out the masonry wheel and the angle grinder and actually cut a slot, shouldn't I?
Sealant should also be put in a slot instead of just being applied to the surface. That slot needs to be clean and dry otherwise your just wasting sealant and money.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
I drop my Jeep off at the dealership for an oil change. I saw a Ram pickup that listed for $106,000.00. That's right. I couldn't believe it. They had four of them for at that price. By the way, they only charged me $43 for the oil change of 7 quarts and filter.

Wait for the 2022 model. I anticipate anything 2021 to be short lived and soon to be collector items due to low production. But if the chip supply doesn't get resolved this may stick around for awhile. Maybe something like the war years during WWII.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
A/C shut off awhile ago and just came back on. I was wrong on the tripped fuse it says water heater. Water heater was not even on. Will have to see what is up with the refrigerator as it says it is on.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
GOOD POINT!!!

I used to turn my water and furnace off when going on vacation (including weekends away), because I had a dripping fitting on my hot water tank. After getting that replaced, I have to force myself to remember to do that.

One should always at least turn off the water at the washing machine. Many years ago, a neighbor of my grandmother (RIP) had a flooded basement because a hose split open.

Mike
I always turn off the electric hot water heater and the well before going on a vacation. No sense in heating water for a week or more and shutting the well pump down prevents any kind of accidental flood in the house.
Great minds think alike???!!!

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
My son's local team had a playoff game tonight, tough battle, but they had to win or go home against the best team in the league...

...And they did it!!! Won 9-6 in a very close game with lots of action! It was actually shortened from 6 to 4 innings due to the time limit.

My son caught for an inning, played short, and pitched the last inning. He walked one, struck one out, and got two batters to hit into outs (one was a high popup back to him).

At the plate, he was 0 for 2 plus an RBI walk.

He got the game ball for his overall efforts. Afterwards, I told him that was great, but I couldn't believe he threw 5 balls (vs strikes). That really had him going, he thought I was seriously disappointed. He laughed with me when I told him I was kidding...

Championship game is Saturday afternoon!

Mike

20210609_191817_exported_1421.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,998 Posts
I continued on with getting my Husqvarna walkbehind back together and operational. It turns out they happened to pick an oddball bearing size (6205), where they are commonly available with seals, but not the metal shields like the original bearings were (which also had the locking collar setup). The guy I go to for bearings now couldn't source them from any of his distributors, from anywhere in Canada. But, totally unexpected, he had the original bearings with the locking collar and metal shields, in stock for only $10 each (no name brand). He could get the Fafnir branded ones for about $40 each. So, I bought 6 of these bearings, he'll have the bushings I need for remaking the idler pivot joint tomorrow, and I also bought what should be all the nuts and bolts I'll need to get it together (which was a train wreck, it took almost an hour for the counter person to figure out the part numbers, get them, create the invoice, then find their manager to make a second invoice to correct the mistake they made on the first one), for only 9 line items (line item being a nut or a bolt or a washer).

Then, after work (yay, sopping wet from the rain), I tried getting the other two spindles off, but even with the torch/prying/pounding, they didn't budge. I'll take the pulley for the one I did get off yesterday to see if I can find a matching weld-on pulley, and if I can, I'll just cut the pulleys off so I can remove the spindles from the deck, then use the press to get them apart.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts

$106,909 for a truck???? There are a lot of places where that much money will buy you a house. I was shocked about a year ago when I saw a line of half a dozen pick-ups at the dealer and all were over $70,000. I'm keeping my 2013 until the wheels fall off and then I'll buy new wheels.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts
They said it may be like this until August 2022. They also said they sold ten of those trucks this year at that price.
Car dealers say lots of things, and most of it isn't true. I've heard the "little old lady only drove it to church" story more than once.

·
Premium Member
11,263 Posts
No kidding. There was a "special edition" Mustang (Cobra?) at a local dealer here about a decade ago (last time I was in a new car dealership), which had a high factory price. Added to that was a line item for something like "Dealer Market Adjustment" (it wasn't exactly called that, but close), adding another huge chunk of money (at least $10k), just because they were (well) outside Boston and figured they could get away with just charging more money!!!???

Trucks have become stupid expensive.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
7,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12,820 ·
Car dealers say lots of things, and most of it isn't true. I've heard the "little old lady only drove it to church" story more than once.
Whaaat? You don't believe what car salesmen say?

I may have gotten one of the last really good deals on a new truck before the stupid hit. New 2017 Tacoma 4x4 for $24,000. Utility model

12801 - 12820 of 12910 Posts