My Tractor Forum banner

11741 - 11760 of 11973 Posts

·
Gravely1964
4,104 Posts
The gasket is not likely the problem but a symptom of the problem. The inner bearing block seals leak oil into the axle housings which are supposed to be dry and aren't sealed or gasketed, then oil leaks out of the bottom of the axle cover plates.
Yeah time will tell. Bolts were loose. I tightened them up. But you can guess the out come there. Problem with a small shop and alota things can't tear into it. Till I have the parts in hand. Also betting they guy may come pick it up and keep topping it off till they come in.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
7,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11,742 ·
Yeah time will tell. Bolts were loose. I tightened them up. But you can guess the out come there. Problem with a small shop and alota things can't tear into it. Till I have the parts in hand. Also betting they guy may come pick it up and keep topping it off till they come in.
If ya get around to it and pull the axle plates check the inner bearing block seals. Very common problem for oil leaks on these. I had to do mine on my 3205. Problematic design.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Yeah, my lung doc (pulmonologist) has me on 3 different inhalers and they help. I quit smoking around 6 years ago, about 5 years too late. I've got exercises to do too. Apparently huffing and puffing is good to expand my lungs. Early in my career working as a draftsman and designer, an ashtray was pretty much standard equipment on a drafting table. The last 15 years were in a smoke free office, we had to go outside during our breaks. The next step for me is supplemental oxygen.
Went threw 39 years of that profession myself before saying enough was enough. Lots of changes over the years some good, some bad. lots of staff cuts and them the stupidity set in. Just decided it was time to get out and have not regretted it even though it created some hard times.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Yeah, oof, plywood seems expensive at the moment! Not that I really track the prices myself, but I've heard it's gone up a LOT. I'd kind of like to add some solid plywood walls to my utility trailer, but I may try it as-is for now, and see how I do with a tarp preventing stuff from falling through the side rails. I haven't looked at thin & wide boards instead, but I suspect they're also expensive at the moment.

I had no idea that pool chlorine was in short supply. That's a real bummer, especially if you were one of the folks last year lucky enough to actually get a pool installed.
I got a bagster dumpster bag last summer and installed some eyelets in the top to hold a trap in place. Best $30 spent.
When done with it just fold it up till next time needed. The one I got is 4x8x2.5 feet tall. These bags are designed to be picked up after being filled with construction waste. So these are not light weight bags.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yeah, oof, plywood seems expensive at the moment! Not that I really track the prices myself, but I've heard it's gone up a LOT. I'd kind of like to add some solid plywood walls to my utility trailer, but I may try it as-is for now, and see how I do with a tarp preventing stuff from falling through the side rails. I haven't looked at thin & wide boards instead, but I suspect they're also expensive at the moment.

I had no idea that pool chlorine was in short supply. That's a real bummer, especially if you were one of the folks last year lucky enough to actually get a pool installed.
Oh yeah, lumber is outrageous right now. The supply has stabilized but the plants are running at capacity and until they catch up, the prices are gonna keep climbing. 7/16 OSB used to run $8 a sheet vs $45.5x now. A standard 2x4 is at $8. They used to run $3. I don't know who can possibly afford to build a deck right now, but I know I can't.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Projects at home have slowed also. It has been hard to get these prices threw customers heads. Can not do things with out labor included to cut cost. Things just don't work that way. But right now four hours of labor is all I can have on the books each month.

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Yeah, I may just try and wait some for my "woodworking" projects. Or at least see how things go, first, before adding wood. Maybe prices will become more reasonable before I need to buy supplies. This is probably not a rush, for me.

And thanks for the tip about the dumpster bag! That's a good idea.

I got a heavy duty 10mil tarp at HF, it was around $10 for 8x10. The trailer is 5x8. So I can try putting that down first, add the material, then maybe bungee cord the corners together, over the material. To try and contain/cover it.

·
Super Moderator
35,860 Posts

·
16,814 Posts
They won't rent one? Wow, that says a lot about what they think of their customers. You might not have to worry about working for these folks long-term...

Mike
?////////////////////////////

I agree with you there!!! What jerks..

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
Oh yeah, lumber is outrageous right now. The supply has stabilized but the plants are running at capacity and until they catch up, the prices are gonna keep climbing. 7/16 OSB used to run $8 a sheet vs $45.5x now. A standard 2x4 is at $8. They used to run $3. I don't know who can possibly afford to build a deck right now, but I know I can't.
Just saw this on Facebook Marketplace, had to chuckle.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Lol that's normal price here... 😉

Compromised last night... the P. snoozed for a while but still wanted to BBQ when she woke up. Had four leftover cooked wings and an already cooked piece of meat so we warmed that up on the fire, which was probably the best way to get rid of it and came out plenty tasty enough.

Big chicken today but not outside, 'tis stormy.

:coffee:

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Yeah, they need to have another truck available even if it is shared with some other stores, just so they can sub it out or otherwise go back to running the truck 5 days a week instead of seven to allow for some downtime. Those customers will be ticked off and they have a right to be, but this issue is above my head and even above my manager's head. Unfortunately we are the one's who have to deal with the fallout.
Understood. BTW, my phone autocorrected (incorrectly) my prior post. I typed one spare truck per "region" not reason...

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Got the Buick back tonight.

The engine doesn't really look clean and dry, but I'll wait it out to see if the leak at least stopped. Seems like it was only in the front, which is good.

New HVAC blower works great. Unfortunately, I'm probably going to have to pull the dash, the smell of mouse nest is unbearable.

Fortunately, it's only noticeable when the fan is running.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
The tranny shop called me today about the RV. I think he meant to call someone else, but gave me a rundown of what they saw so far, after a test drive and initial inspection...

Fresh tranny fluid leak. (That would explain the smell last night driving it up there.)

Drivetrain vibration over 30 mph, he thinks that's the driveshaft and/or u-joints and/or carrier bearing. They don't work on those. I asked him to send it out while he's rebuilding the tranny. My cousin initially thought that was the torque converter, we'll see.

Some leaking/rusty half-patched tranny cooling lines (first I'm hearing about that, but I've never looked at them).

They're supposed to pull the tranny and call me on Thursday.

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
And, in baseball news... My son's in-town team played a make-up game away at a neighboring town last night. They won 10-3.

My son hit an RBI single, got walked, and hit an RBI double. He also stole a bunch of bases and scored twice (stole home once).

On defense, he played at first base. The other team struggled with hitting, so he didn't make any plays there.

In the bottom of the third, he got called in as a relief pitcher, and pitched into the sixth inning. He walked two, struck out six, gave up an RBI double, and one run on a wild pitch. Also made an out at home on a passed ball.

No great pics due to the fencing at this field. This was when he hit his RBI double.

Mike

20210503_184247_exported_38522.jpg

11741 - 11760 of 11973 Posts