·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,282
Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The birdhouse is actually a "roosting box", there are dowels inside for the birds to roost on.

I make my Bluebird boxes with Cedar fence boards, requiring no finish.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Trying to teach the oldest a lesson / tough love. I think we've been carrying him too much, and he's definitely old enough to know better. At his age, I already had a job and was putting myself through private high school. I know the economics don't really work for that anymore, but he definitely doesn't have any drive in him yet...

Mike
A lot of times its what they don't do that matters the most at least with me , To be a good person , we had to behave around my daughter not the other way around , think the higher above she chose to be who she chose because I would not have been smart enough nor possibly strong enough to fight it . Had a step son that hated home work and played video games all the time he put himself through the army and is now a state trooper , my nephew had every opportunity to fail , and he is in the navy , grew up on food stamps .

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Exactly how I feel as well. That's why I'm so angry about the lies.

Mike

·
Registered
710 Posts
I told lies when I was a kid and I am ashamed of them , I was going to get beat down every 6 weeks anyway , so you had to lie if you wanted any questionable life freedoms. still catch my self gaming the system , It doesn't hurt to square a person up every now and then get them back on the level .

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Wow, that's a whole new level of insane right there. Nothing really surprises me anymore, though.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
@Bebop I don't expect him to be a saint (they're really good in general), but I have to keep him in check, or he'll definitely take advantage of the situation.

Mike

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,293

·
Super Moderator
34,468 Posts
Bit of delay in the news filtering through the pipeline, but yesterday evening got the basic details that baby was born mid afternoon. Eight pounds four oz, baby and mother doing fine.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,296
I learned a few days ago, I'm gonna be a grandpa again. My (step)daughter is 4 months pregnant. I have a 3 year old grandson that I have seen exactly twice. My daughter and my wife have a "difficult" relationship. I've tried to mediate, negotiate, have learned to pretty much duck and cover and let them do their thing. To this day, I have not met her fiance. I'm just hoping for the baby to be healthy and that I can be part of their lives however that might work out. I think I'd make a pretty good grandpa.
I wish I had some words that would make this better as I have dealt with this and eventually gave up. Haven't talked to my mother in 23 years after she tried to destroy my marriage. She attempted to be nice to my brother to keep in touch with her granddaughters but eventually pushed them away. My brother has had no contact with her for a decade or so after she stalked the girls on FB making comments about how what they were doing wasn't right by her. She couldn't manipulate them and attacked them. I'm sorry.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
34,468 Posts
I wish I had some words that would make this better as I have dealt with this and eventually gave up. Haven't talked to my mother in 23 years after she tried to destroy my marriage. She attempted to be nice to my brother to keep in touch with her granddaughters but eventually pushed them away. My brother has had no contact with her for a decade or so after she stalked the girls on FB making comments about how what they were doing wasn't right by her. She couldn't manipulate them and attacked them. I'm sorry.
Wow, that's not how you want your mother to act at any time. You hear things like this and realize that if your parents were normal just how lucky you are.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,198 Posts
I feel very saddened by accounts of folks who can't develop a relationship with grand kids. I must remind myself how very lucky I am to be a regular part of the kids lives.

Now, how about another direction for this group: Recall a memory of the good old days that you lived through.

Doesn't have to be monumental, just something that will not likely happen today or anytime in the near future. I'll toss one out there:

Walking through a parking lot, noticing an unoccupied car with its lights on, and being able to walk over, open the unlocked car door, turn off the lights and carry on as if no big deal

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,300
17 year old me in 1986: Breaking down in my car throwing the fan belt on a bridge 20 miles outside Galveston, TX. Walked 5 miles to a service station. Mechanic sold me a belt, drove me back to the car, and helped me change it for no charge.

9281 - 9300 of 9422 Posts