My Tractor Forum banner

9241 - 9260 of 9422 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,241
I went auto dark maybe 10 years ago. Will never go back. When welding in the steel plant we had to be able to weld in any position. I still don't like welding overhead. Maybe with one of those fire proof space suits it would not be to bad.
I welded all positions in the shops I worked in including 7018 overhead but on DC. Never welded uphill, always downhill and ran 6011 if doing a bunch of it. This AC rod is a little different.

I'd always roll my socks over my bootcuffs and it'd keep slag off my ankles.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Super Moderator
5,326 Posts
Is he trying to remove them from concrete. If so a BFH and concrete chisel works well. Need to go at them from the center to pop them up in one piece.
If attached to drywall I just cut around the tiled area and remove everything.
Laid on concrete floor and the walls are mortar. Very tough gig... I bought the thing to tear apart our old bath here in the shack which was built the same way. Lots of swinging for a guy near 80, lots of tiles. This should help.

🍻

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
The red building is where I store the grain I grind for the 15-20 heifers I buy in spring and sell in fall.
My house is behind the trees in the upper right corner of the 1st picture.
On the far right is my pump house. The red on my chop house is actually orange roofing I had to put on because the bears kept ripping out the 1/4" walls to get at the chop 😕.
Nice place! The quads look good too.

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Sledding today with my youngest son (10). As you can see, the hill here is much busier during daylight. This is still pretty quiet compared to some days we've been here. Night time is still the best!

The big guy (14) is still doing homework (was wasting time playing video games earlier).

Mike

20210221_153700.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
An action sequence of sledding...

...And what I had to remind my 14-year-old about his future if he keeps avoiding homework and watching YouTube all day (ironically, this is from YouTube, of course)...

Mike

20210221_154409_exported_4864_1613942781177.jpg
20210221_154409_exported_5333_1613942793079.jpg
20210221_154409_exported_7275_1613942827738.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9,246

·
Registered
334 Posts
Got my drone yesterday. It's a Holy Stone HS510. I got the batteries charged and took it out today. I did some basic maneuvers and took a few pictures. I see it's going to take some practice. My 1st choice would have been the Mavic mini 2, that Jere got for his son, which is a much better drone that was beyond my price range.
There was a bit of wind that affected the drone but did not send it out of control.
Thanks for the compliments guys.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Looks like y'all are having a blast.
Trying to teach the oldest a lesson / tough love. I think we've been carrying him too much, and he's definitely old enough to know better. At his age, I already had a job and was putting myself through private high school. I know the economics don't really work for that anymore, but he definitely doesn't have any drive in him yet...

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,669 Posts
Practicing a little with the Lincoln AC225 welding uphill 7018AC stick today. Still not great at it but working on it. I do best welding a stringer and then weaving over it.
Flat control weld.
A few uphill beads.
New technique I learned on starting with your hood down. Place your rod at the midshaft with flux touching where you want to start, flip your hood down, draw the rod up until you get an arc. You are in position with hood down and rod right where you are looking.
You have to get an auto darken helmet...even the cheapest ones work well...your welds all look
good (y)

·
Citizen of Earth
15,425 Posts
Trying to teach the oldest a lesson / tough love. I think we've been carrying him too much, and he's definitely old enough to know better. At his age, I already had a job and was putting myself through private high school. I know the economics don't really work for that anymore, but he definitely doesn't have any drive in him yet...

Mike
I have a cousin that is a couple of years older than me. He was a slacker all thru elementary school and especially the first 2 years of high school, until he found his nitch. He graduated, but because of his poor early grades, didn't get into college right away, but got a job working in electronics. Went to school at night and eventually became an electrical engineer. No one was more surprised than his parents! I think part of his problem in school was that his friends were all underachievers and he wanted to hang out with them. I offer this up to point out that your son may have not found his "calling" yet. Be patient, be understanding and hang in there. My uncle pushed my cousin hard and it caused problems, my wife still pushes our 33 year old daughter really hard and it still causes problems (the irresistable force meeting the immovable object!). A gentle nudge sometimes works better than a hard shove.

Reactions: mikeinri

·
Citizen of Earth
15,425 Posts
I learned a few days ago, I'm gonna be a grandpa again. My (step)daughter is 4 months pregnant. I have a 3 year old grandson that I have seen exactly twice. My daughter and my wife have a "difficult" relationship. I've tried to mediate, negotiate, have learned to pretty much duck and cover and let them do their thing. To this day, I have not met her fiance. I'm just hoping for the baby to be healthy and that I can be part of their lives however that might work out. I think I'd make a pretty good grandpa.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,277 Posts
Congratulations Joe, on your forthcoming second grandchild. It's a shame you don't get to see your grandson. Hopefully, your wife and daughter will iron things out soon.

·
Administrator
17,522 Posts
Well wife took her bags and left this AM.
Heading to our daughter's house after getting "the Call." Seems as if the baby is on her way. Well at least it wasn't a middle of a night or snowstorm thing. Elaine will be watching grandson, dropping off and picking him up from school, as well as feeding dogs and chickens while daughter and hubby at hospital. Should only be couple days. Then new granddaughter should be coming home. Here's hoping all goes well.
MikeC

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Congrats and good luck, Joe and Mike!!!

Mike

·
Super Moderator
34,469 Posts
Well wife took her bags and left this AM.
Heading to our daughter's house after getting "the Call." Seems as if the baby is on her way. Well at least it wasn't a middle of a night or snowstorm thing. Elaine will be watching grandson, dropping off and picking him up from school, as well as feeding dogs and chickens while daughter and hubby at hospital. Should only be couple days. Then new granddaughter should be coming home. Here's hoping all goes well.
MikeC
Wishing for the best Mike! Try not to enjoy that geographical bachelor situation too much!

·
Administrator
17,522 Posts
Try not to enjoy that geographical bachelor situation too much!
Enjoy??? Where's she keep the coffee maker filters? Now I've got to make my own dinner, feed the dogs, AND she left a couple baskets of laundry to do! Ha, I'll get the last laugh. I have four pair of briefs in the drawer... Plenty of time, that's got to be good for what? A month at least before going commando.o_O Course if I do that, there's a good likelihood she'll move in with them!
MikeC

·
Super Moderator
34,469 Posts
Yes, I've definitely gone through all of those situations. Took me about 6 weeks just to know where all the different pots and pans and "specialty" items were kept in the kitchen. Never got to the point of going commando though! Thank goodness for frozen dinners too, my repertoire in the kitchen is getting better but absolutely not where my wife was.

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
I have a cousin that is a couple of years older than me. He was a slacker all thru elementary school and especially the first 2 years of high school, until he found his nitch. He graduated, but because of his poor early grades, didn't get into college right away, but got a job working in electronics. Went to school at night and eventually became an electrical engineer. No one was more surprised than his parents! I think part of his problem in school was that his friends were all underachievers and he wanted to hang out with them. I offer this up to point out that your son may have not found his "calling" yet. Be patient, be understanding and hang in there. My uncle pushed my cousin hard and it caused problems, my wife still pushes our 33 year old daughter really hard and it still causes problems (the irresistable force meeting the immovable object!). A gentle nudge sometimes works better than a hard shove.
I agree and we give him a lot of leeway, and let him be a kid (I often feel like I grew up too fast).

But, he had all vacation week to get his homework done, we offered to help several times, and he lied to me twice about it. So, as much as it killed me on the inside to leave him home during what might be the last sledding opportunity of the winter, I'm hoping he snaps out of it regarding his approach to homework and procrastination.

Oh, and he held us up from sledding on two other days because he made no progress on the homework...

Mike

·
Premium Member
10,388 Posts
Yes, I've definitely gone through all of those situations. Took me about 6 weeks just to know where all the different pots and pans and "specialty" items were kept in the kitchen. Never got to the point of going commando though! Thank goodness for frozen dinners too, my repertoire in the kitchen is getting better but absolutely not where my wife was.
I like cooking, but just not for myself, or even the 4 of us. I do cook all the big meals (large holidays and parties), my wife cooks most of the day-to-day stuff.

When I was a bachelor, I'd basically live off of pasta, frozen veggies and hot dogs. We don't really eat hot dogs anymore, but pasta and frozen veggies are still a staple...

Mike

9241 - 9260 of 9422 Posts