My Tractor Forum banner

7701 - 7720 of 7946 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
Beef tongue is a Christmas delicacy for us. Everybody in our family like it.
Well we're gonna hitit again tonight, it was a one pound package and we only demolished about half of it last night.

Happy wife, happy life. 🍻

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
My mom would occasionally make beef tongue in a mustard sauce/gravy that was pretty good.

And for doing snow removal, I am definitely a fan of using my Toro 621/721 single stage blowers over my 28" Ariens 2-stage professional blower. They take a lot less effort to use, clean down to pavement (I only do paved stuff) even removing packed snow from foot traffic, start easier.

The downsides for the single stages are:
-paddles/scraper bar wear out relatively fast (I replace mine annually, but I use them commercially, a homeowner would be several years between replacements)
-remote chute will freeze up in really cold weather (really a commercial-use problem, as it's the time between jobs it freezes, then it takes a couple minutes of running the engine to thaw it out, for the homeowner it's not a problem)
-doesn't throw snow as far, and you have to go slower when re-throwing snow, particularly if it's wet (close to 0C/32F)
-throwing wet snow is tricky, you need to feed it just the right amount, as too much or too little will clog the chute
-can't really handle huge amounts of snow (as in snowfalls that are close to the height of the intake, or more, you need something else).

I rarely use the Ariens anymore, as we typically don't get big dumps of snow all at once, so it only gets used to clear windrow along the edges of very large driveways that I use a plow on.

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
...also I just picked up the Peanut from babbyskool; Mr. H. next door's mudflaps arrived today so I sent her over with that package and a fat slice of apple pie.

And the laptop also seems to have recovered from its morning brew imbibement... for all good things we give thanks.

Onward.

·
Premium Member
9,878 Posts
Doug, that blower is immaculate! Did you get a good deal on it?

Toro has an obsession with 2-stroke, single stage blowers. Can't kill them, no matter how hard you try.

First snowblower I ever used was my Grandfather's 80s model. I hated it, you always smelled like 2-stroke exhaust after working (the oil in the exhaust just sticks to you). That machine was WAY too small for the deep, wet snow we tend to get here.

I remember being so happy when it broke once (I thought he'd have to replace it), but all it needed was a belt. It ran like garbage because he never, ever maintained it (and I was too young to figure it out myself). But, I couldn't kill it, and really wanted to...

Good luck with your machine! I'm sure you'll have no trouble because you take good care of your equipment.

Mike

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
I have a 4-stroke 2-stage blower as backup snow removal tool, but I've never really liked it. It's heavy and stubborn, you cannot operate it without sweating. Besides it gets stuck way too often by a piece of gravel getting between the impeller and its housing. We have gravel yard and road.
Now reading what you all write about light 2-stroke single stage blowers makes me want one. Too bad single stage blowers have never been popular in Finland. It may be impossible to find one here.
I have been really impressed by my single stage so far. It's handled all of our storms since I bought it, I've used it to clear up to about 10" of somewhat wet/heavy snow. That was approaching the point where the 2-stage would have been a better solution, but it's done very well.

In that storm, I DID use the 2-stage to deal with the dense, packed snow from the plows, around the mailbox. The extra power and augers torque of the 2-stage handled that better. And it was available, so I grabbed it.

It also does a better job of clearing a path through the yard. The 2-stage drives the wheels, so I just push down on the handles to raise the bucket slightly, and drive through the yard. But the single-stage does not pull itself forward if you raise the paddles off of the grass.

But it's been my go-to snowblower since I bought it. And maybe in part due to the 50:1 mix, I haven't noticed much of the oil smell sticking to me. Not needing to worry about oil changes is nice. I added a fuel shutoff, so at the end of the season, I run the carb dry, and that's it.

However, with a gravel driveway, a single-stage may not be a good solution. Ours is asphalt, so it does not matter that the rubber paddles are hitting the driveway surface, to pull the machine forward. But with gravel, it would be pulling in, and throwing, gravel as the paddles hit the ground. I think that would not work very well, unfortunately. But maybe Joe will sell you his 2-stage 2-stroke! Shipping might be expensive, though...

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Not to mention looking awfully big and powerful! 4WD, probably a diesel (he's even got a diesel tiller :) ), and heck, it has more bolts on the FRONT wheels than my GT does on the BACK :) That thing means business. Scott, if that's headed to your house, I'm jealous!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Doug, that blower is immaculate! Did you get a good deal on it?

Toro has an obsession with 2-stroke, single stage blowers. Can't kill them, no matter how hard you try.

First snowblower I ever used was my Grandfather's 80s model. I hated it, you always smelled like 2-stroke exhaust after working (the oil in the exhaust just sticks to you). That machine was WAY too small for the deep, wet snow we tend to get here.

I remember being so happy when it broke once (I thought he'd have to replace it), but all it needed was a belt. It ran like garbage because he never, ever maintained it (and I was too young to figure it out myself). But, I couldn't kill it, and really wanted to...

Good luck with your machine! I'm sure you'll have no trouble because you take good care of your equipment.

Mike
Thanks Mike. Considering the condition I feel I got a pretty good deal on it. I have a unexplainable fascination with 2 cycles. I plan on mainly just using this to clear the walkways and the places where the plow can't reach, but I'll probably use it to clear the driveway a few times just to get some time at the controls.

A neighbor of mine has an older Toro single stage that he's been using to clear his driveway for 30 years. He was using it last week, it still seems to run well.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
No kidding! It's in amazing condition. Have fun with it, Joe!

I would I could find definitive info that said it's safe to raise the RPMs on those RTek engines. I have mine adjusted to the high end of the spec (trying to remember what it is, maybe 4000 or 4200?). But if I could coax a little more performance out of it, that would be cool. I think the single stage blower concept is capable of doing more, but I run out of power.

I only paid $25 for mine, but it's in nice shape, and I don't want to blow the engine. If I had several of them, and got for for free, etc, it could be fun to crank the RPMs and see how it does. Even better, raise the RPMs, and change the pulley size to maintain the original paddles RPM. Now you've got more torque available.

·
Super Moderator
33,649 Posts
Diesel... yes.

Negotiations... we shall see...
Unless you know the seller personally, give it a good workout before signing anything. I always worry about "freshly painted" things for sale, what were they trying to hide?

·
Super Moderator
12,292 Posts
About the only things that make me see that this isn't new are the radiator, and air filter hoses, and clamps. It looks like a very nice tractor. I hope it all checks out for you, Scott. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,720
I would bet that there aren't too many "hide it under paint" shennanigans happening over there just due to the culture.

Reactions: TnTkr
7701 - 7720 of 7946 Posts