My Tractor Forum banner

6081 - 6100 of 6187 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,081 (Edited)
Wow. That's sad, scary stuff. After surgery a few years ago, they gave me a prescription for a small qty of powerful painkillers. Thankfully I did not need them. I really didn't want any exposure to something that might make your body go "Yup, that's it, we NEED more of that."

Today was a productive day. We got a whole bunch of errands done. And we went to a local breakfast place that we like, our first time actually eating at a restaurant since March. We had masks, and sat outside in their covered area, we were the only people there when we sat down. Eventually 2 other tables were also occupied, at the other end of the tent. It was nice, though I admit I'm apprehensive about doing it again. But the place is doing take-out, so we could pick something up, and eat at home.

Nothing exciting for the rest of the day. Earlier in the week I'd bought some 3-way switches, and I figured out how to wire those up to run the new 12V LED lights in the shed. The switches work properly, and I got boxes mounted for them, with cover plates. So the lights are ready to use, at either shed door. Hopefully the solar maintainer will keep the old car battery topped-off, after I use them.

I'm off this coming week, and my wife has a light schedule. The time off will be nice, even though we don't have much by way of plans. We're not getting together with anyone for Thanksgiving, it'll just be us and the cat.
Nothing to worry about with short term use especially if aware of the consequences of long term use.

I see too many oportunities for infection when in resturants and have been staying away from them.

Glad you got the lights up and hope it works well for you. Great idea on the whole setup.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Yeah, we were planning to just try and do take-out somewhere this morning. But with the empty open-sided tent, it seemed a manageable risk. Hopefully nothing bad comes of it, we tried to be careful.

That's our only in-restaurant experience since this all started. These are strange times, that's for sure. Everyone stay safe and healthy.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Spent the whole day (and night) working on the Trac Vac 880.

Heated and formed (pre-bent) some fuel lines with short 90-degree turns. Replaced the cracked fuel tank. Added a fuel filter.

Also repaired the shutoff switch and added a quick connect fitting so I can add a remote kill switch later (for use when I eventually get around to connecting this to the mower deck).

And, had to deal with a very sloppy dump latch. The old bolts were excessively worn, and the holes in the hardware had become ovalled.

MANY more pics in my dedicated thread, but here are some highlights.

Finished way too late to test fire it, but I added gas, opened the valve, and don't see any leaks.

By the time I finished cleaning up and putting away tools, it was after 11 pm (and I hadn't eaten dinner yet).

Mike

20201121_141027.jpg
20201121_142508.jpg
20201121_204922.jpg
20201121_203208.jpg
20201121_183515.jpg
20201121_184638.jpg
20201121_221804.jpg
20201121_221811.jpg

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,213 Posts
I'm thinking about hooking up a long throttle cable to mine, now you also have me thinking about a remote shutoff switch also.

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
I put one on my smaller unit (380), right on the tube next to my seat, works great. When the cart is full, I hit the kill switch and the engine shuts down on the way to the dump pile.

May sound trivial, but these take forever to stop due to the weight of the impeller.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Here's something I forgot to mention last week. I have this blue metal leaf rake, probably bought for my first house (almost 20 years ago). The small rod holding the tines in place keeps sliding out.

So, I took a mallet and pounded the channel ends flat. Unfortunately, I foolishly used a cinder block as an anvil, and managed to crack that in no time...

Mike

20201114_095612.jpg
20201114_095619.jpg
20201114_095635.jpg

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Registered
405 Posts
Here's something I forgot to mention last week. I have this blue metal leaf rake, probably bought for my first house (almost 20 years ago). The small rod holding the tines in place keeps sliding out.

So, I took a mallet and pounded the channel ends flat. Unfortunately, I foolishly used a cinder block as an anvil, and managed to crack that in no time...

Mike

View attachment 2481446 View attachment 2481447 View attachment 2481448
Mine always works loose again after doing that , may need to think of something better , mine is breaking the outside tines , which is ok to get between stuff , i have a longer metal handle which i like . I need to look for another one , I like to rake when I have time there is one spot where the moss grows which is pretty , Its a art form and good exercise . Mine may have broke the tines because I flatten the ends . Don't let them float as well just a theory .

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Good luck with the Trac Vac, Mike! Fixing that rake? I dunno, sounds like you may need a welder. A quick weld at one end of the rod, and it won't slide around any more.

You can't lose that 20 year old rake investment! Buying a welder is really the only solution.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Good luck with the Trac Vac, Mike! Fixing that rake? I dunno, sounds like you may need a welder. A quick weld at one end of the rod, and it won't slide around any more.

You can't lose that 20 year old rake investment! Buying a welder is really the only solution.
You would probably half to build a time machine to find a rake of that quality , If you do pick me up one .

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
You would probably half to build a time machine to find a rake of that quality , If you do pick me up one .
Will do! I'll just need to keep an eye on what the time machine has for storage space. Maybe I can put a roof rack on it.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
9,437 Posts
Thanks guys! Kill switch works again, too!

Mike

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,716 Posts
Job well done, Mike. (y)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Glad you got it working right Mike.

Made a somewhat disappointing trip up to Tractor Supply today. Had to get chicken feed, Cub Yellow paint, some Rotella T5 and see what they had for hydraulic couplings for my plow setup.

Well, I left with just the chicken feed. They told me the Majic Cub Yellow spray cans are going to be NLA once the current supply sells out. There is only one store that is somewhat close that has any left and it's over an hour away. I didn't feel like driving that far for a can of spray paint. I have a can of the dealer brand Cub yellow but it is really lousy quality paint and I don't know of any primer that is compatible with it. I just need to paint one bracket so I may give it a shot. Already stripped the old powder coat off the bracket now I'm gonna soak it in Evap-O-Rust overnight to clean off any rust before painting.
IMG_20201122_171632095.jpg

IMG_20201122_171641753.jpg

The spool valves are all painted and ready to be put back together. I put a quick coat of paint on the bolts that hold them together and once it dries I'll reassemble them.
IMG_20201122_170610837.jpg

IMG_20201122_172446472.jpg

I mounted the plow up and ratchet strapped it in the up position so I could transport it and put the tractor back in the shed until I get parts in. Looks pretty beastly I think. It fits just perfectly in the shed.
IMG_20201122_162501242_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201122_162507893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201122_162722682.jpg

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Looks odd to have both the mower deck and blade on.
No reason to take the deck off just yet, it'd just be one more thing I'd have to store. Once I've got everything operational I'll get it removed.

6081 - 6100 of 6187 Posts