My Tractor Forum banner

6061 - 6080 of 6186 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,060 Posts
Yesterday I saw a FB ad for a Craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack in "great shape" for $75.00 so I thought I'd take a look. It looked to be in good shape, but didn't work like it. At one point the seller said "take it", but I couldn't do that, so I gave him $20.00. It goes up w/o any weight on it but that's it. I tried topping it off with hydro fluid, and bleeding it, but no luck. The good thing is that I found, and ordered a rebuild kit from a hydraulics place that I found online for $30.00. So for ~$50.00 I should wind up with a "new" jack.

I thought I'd pass along their link :Lazzar's Floor Jack & Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Part Supplier : Sells Seal Kits for Floor Jacks : hcrcnow.com

·
15,000 +posts!
20,538 Posts
Just below Lake Ontario here. In 4 years at my house, I have seen a coyote once. About 6:30am when I was taking my dog for his morning walk in the woods. Started walking down the path, maybe 30 feet. Turned around and saw one running across the yard where the path starts. Seemed to be a lone. Do see a fox a few times a year. Luckily they seem to already be on the run when I notice them.

There has been an occasion bobcat sighting in my county once or twice a year, but I think they may live closer to the lake where it is much much more rural. Same for bears as well. Think a few have slowly moved up north.
Bobcats have been sighted locally in recent months,and black bears have been making appearances more & more often in MA & RI in recent years as well...the pandemic seems to have made more wildlife come out of hiding,either that or more people are home now during the day to see them ..

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Got a can of SEM trim black ordered from advance auto so I just need to pick it up on my way home from work.

Saw 4 or 5 police cars and an ambulance flying into our parking lot today, apparently someone OD'd in their car in our parking lot. Was told she had a sizeable amount of heroin in her purse. They narcan'd her and after she came to she left in handcuffs. That was the big excitement today at work.

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Yesterday I saw a FB ad for a Craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack in "great shape" for $75.00 so I thought I'd take a look. It looked to be in good shape, but didn't work like it. At one point the seller said "take it", but I couldn't do that, so I gave him $20.00. It goes up w/o any weight on it but that's it. I tried topping it off with hydro fluid, and bleeding it, but no luck. The good thing is that I found, and ordered a rebuild kit from a hydraulics place that I found online for $30.00. So for ~$50.00 I should wind up with a "new" jack.

I thought I'd pass along their link :Lazzar's Floor Jack & Hydraulic Cylinder Repair Part Supplier : Sells Seal Kits for Floor Jacks : hcrcnow.com

View attachment 2481351
I threw one of those away earlier this year, for basically the same reason. Don't know enough about them to trust them after I rebuild one.

Please be sure to follow up here when you get the parts and walk us through the process!!!

Mike

Reactions: tracktortag

·
Premium Member
9,436 Posts
Robert, here it's a combination of things. We're home more because of covid. And, a new development went in behind us, clear cut at least 30 acres to build it (probably more like 50).

I've heard what I assume are coyotes at night for many years.. My wife has seen a few early in the morning (she goes to work earlier than I do).

We also have foxes, and we saw a Fisher cat in the yard a year or two ago (I posted about that here). Lots of deer and rabbits as well (although I've seen fewer of those this year).

I was really just surprised to see the coyote out at around 10 am.

Mike

Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,066
Robert, here it's a combination of things. We're home more because of covid. And, a new development went in behind us, clear cut at least 30 acres to build it (probably more like 50).

I've heard what I assume are coyotes at night for many years.. My wife has seen a few early in the morning (she goes to work earlier than I do).

We also have foxes, and we saw a Fisher cat in the yard a year or two ago (I posted about that here). Lots of deer and rabbits as well (although I've seen fewer of those this year).

I was really just surprised to see the coyote out at around 10 am.

Mike
I live in the woods and see them occasionally during the day. Early morning usually. Also have seen a bobcat early in the morning right at daylight. Mid day and later for these is a red flag and I had to put down a skunk and a possum that were rabid or had distemper out here. The skunk was just lying out in my field, vey sick. Possum was sweaty/greasy. Also saw a coon down by the end of my road several hours before dusk that was ill and acting it. They act strange if they are sick.

·
Super Moderator
32,625 Posts
Started pulling the Engine out of the new 322 as the new coil didn't solve the spark issue. Next location is on the flywheel and that means got to remove the engine. Details are here as I go:

The Tville 322 | Page 3 | My Tractor Forum

3,379 Posts
Got a can of SEM trim black ordered from advance auto so I just need to pick it up on my way home from work.

Saw 4 or 5 police cars and an ambulance flying into our parking lot today, apparently someone OD'd in their car in our parking lot. Was told she had a sizeable amount of heroin in her purse. They narcan'd her and after she came to she left in handcuffs. That was the big excitement today at work.
In Oregon they legalize meth and heroin so I guess that state will be a mess with od people.

Reactions: Ken22

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
That's great! I hope the rebuild works well.

I have a big & heavy 3.5 ton Larin jack, which has been solid.

I also have a 2.5 ton MVP jack from Walmart, which is now leaking, and won't raise fully. Rebuilding it may be an option, but it's just a cheap jack anyhow, a rebuild kit probably wouldn't be that much less than what I paid for it ~20 years ago :)

I do like having the 2.5 ton available, though. It's easy to carry around, and handy for the tractor, etc. I've looked on CL several times for a decent-quality similar jack, but the ones I've seen have been priced somewhat high, IMO.

It will be interesting to hear how the rebuild goes!

Reactions: tracktortag

·
Registered
217 Posts
In Oregon they legalize meth and heroin so I guess that state will be a mess with od people.
A friend of mine went to Pendleton OR to pickup a load. She waited 18 hours. The shipper told her they were behind because they were having trouble finding workers that could pass a drug test.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,071
The war on drugs has ended! Drugs won.

Reactions: LLigetfa and Ken22

·
6,990 Posts
Heroin has been legalized in England since the '70s.....as wacky as it sounds, it drives the drug dealers out of business..it is all conducted in clinics with sterile environments...But instead of having laws with consequences, we allow people to waste their lives in nice clean clinics...that makes sense they become zombies at the public's expense and lead useless lives

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I don't know what the drugs laws are here anymore, never really had to worry about it because I'm not on drugs but if they revive you with Narcan they won't take you into custody unless you have a measurable amount of heroin still in your possession. They encourage you to go to the hospital but they can't make you.

Friend of mine is an EMT and I know they regularly revive the same people from OD's multiple times in the same day.

It's really sad, it is so hard to escape addiction with heroin and fentanyl. So many people get clean for a while and wind up falling back off the wagon even years later.

·
6,990 Posts
I know a Nurse Practitioner in Greensboro NC...she was telling us that they will give the narcan treatment to some one in her hospital one time....after that they won't revive someone with it...it's not cheap either

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,980 Posts
Spent the morning marshalling a large group of youth and adults for our Fall workday at church. Kind of like herding cats, but with masks. Then I sawed up the Ash tree I've been dragging around the past week:

That white wood made it snow. While I had the PS-6100 out and it was singing so pretty, I blocked off 8 more rounds of this big Oak that had the nerve to blow over in the middle of a briar fest:

Then with a fairly light leaf covering on the lawn I ran my best and final leaf suck for 2020. Ran the gas tank dry, let every thing cool and gave it it's first bath in it's entire life.

Hope I didn't jinx this thing for next October!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I know a Nurse Practitioner in Greensboro NC...she was telling us that they will give the narcan treatment to some one in her hospital one time....after that they won't revive someone with it...it's not cheap either
They hand it out like candy around here. Like I said, they regularly revive people multiple times in the same day. And no it isn't cheap.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,077
We see IV drug users all the time. The bacteria from dirty needles causes them to have lesions that destroy their spine, brain, and hearts.

My last one was a 35 year old meth head gal who had to have heart bypass surgery.
She got busted for palming or cheeking her pain pills, digging dirty syringes out of the sharps container on the wall, and crushing the pills and shooting them in her IV port.

They booted her out still needing weeks of IV antibiotics. Probably dead from it now.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Don't hear about much methamphetamine up here. It's almost entirely heroin or fentanyl. I think marijuana is still technically illegal except medically, but since pretty much everyone and their mother is using it, there aren't a lot of convictions unless you are trafficking it.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,079
Don't hear about much methamphetamine up here. It's almost entirely heroin or fentanyl. I think marijuana is still technically illegal except medically, but since pretty much everyone and their mother is using it, there aren't a lot of convictions unless you are trafficking it.
I've had 1 heroin addict with a destroyed spine who had to have a spinal fusion and dozens of methheads with brain or spinal lesions.

One of the other ones took one of our canes, put tape on the end of it and was fishing dirty needles out of the sharps with it. Good times.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Wow. That's sad, scary stuff. After surgery a few years ago, they gave me a prescription for a small qty of powerful painkillers. Thankfully I did not need them. I really didn't want any exposure to something that might make your body go "Yup, that's it, we NEED more of that."

Today was a productive day. We got a whole bunch of errands done. And we went to a local breakfast place that we like, our first time actually eating at a restaurant since March. We had masks, and sat outside in their covered area, we were the only people there when we sat down. Eventually 2 other tables were also occupied, at the other end of the tent. It was nice, though I admit I'm apprehensive about doing it again. But the place is doing take-out, so we could pick something up, and eat at home.

Nothing exciting for the rest of the day. Earlier in the week I'd bought some 3-way switches, and I figured out how to wire those up to run the new 12V LED lights in the shed. The switches work properly, and I got boxes mounted for them, with cover plates. So the lights are ready to use, at either shed door. Hopefully the solar maintainer will keep the old car battery topped-off, after I use them.

I'm off this coming week, and my wife has a light schedule. The time off will be nice, even though we don't have much by way of plans. We're not getting together with anyone for Thanksgiving, it'll just be us and the cat.

6061 - 6080 of 6186 Posts