My Tractor Forum banner

6041 - 6060 of 6186 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
I had a few minutes today to look at the heater element, looks like it gets so hot that it will melt together in places.
I know nothing about intake heaters. But that's basically a long series resistor. And when the folds touch each other, it may be kind of shorting out across them. Not a "true" short, as it still needs to go through the rest of the long resistor. But I'm guessing that doesn't do it any favors, anyways. If it's possible to keep the bare metal from touching itself, that's probably better.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
Reactions: Bebop

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Here's a little "boom view for ya'll. Note the fine spool valve feathering and 2-stick lower/raise/curl. Enjoy.
That's great! In addition to it being solid and robust, of course, I like the bucket control that your setup offers. In addition to the shifted-frontwards pivot point for the bucket. Which of course lets you dump into taller items, or make bigger piles.

But having that controlled dump capability (vs my stock Swisher setup where you release a latch and gravity drops it all at once) seems pretty cool. Depending on how mine goes, I might try to incorporate something like that. And I really like the idea of moving the pivot forward, but that's likely a bigger undertaking.

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
I know nothing about intake heaters. But that's basically a long series resistor. And when the folds touch each other, it may be kind of shorting out across them. Not a "true" short, as it still needs to go through the rest of the long resistor. But I'm guessing that doesn't do it any favors, anyways. If it's possible to keep the bare metal from touching itself, that's probably better.

When it's pretty and new every bend is spaced about 1/4" apart, I'm sure it distorts over time & welds itself together.

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Perhaps pieces of ceramic (or similar) could be sandwiched in-between the folds? Or maybe it doesn't matter, maybe they all do this quickly, and it makes no real difference.

3,379 Posts
Forgot to mention, was talking to my wife this morning, and was distracted by something I saw out the window behind her. Big animal sauntering down my tractor dump path (into the woods). It was the size of a large dog, and sort of looked like a husky (from behind).

Didn't get a clear look at it, due to trees, etc. but we're thinking it was a coyote.

I thought it was strange that it was out in broad daylight, and so close to the house.

Mike
Be careful could be a rabbid fox or coyote. They roam during the day. The back of a red fox or grey fox looks like a husky.

3,379 Posts
RO, Here's two videos of a mini dump trailer this fellow bought for 2200. The inside measures 4.5' x 8'. He says he pulls it on the road with his small Jeep Cherokee with his JD 445 with loader on the trailer. You should be able to pull this with a RAV4. Maybe install electric brakes.

·
Registered
405 Posts
RO, Here's two videos of a mini dump trailer this fellow bought for 2200. The inside measures 4.5' x 8'. He says he pulls it on the road with his small Jeep Cherokee with his JD 445 with loader on the trailer. You should be able to pull this with a RAV4. Maybe install electric brakes.

Thats nice tail gators be ware .

3,379 Posts
I did my leaf clean up today and it took four hours. I am beat. I must have ran the blower for three hours and the tractor one hour. I blew everything out of the mulch areas where as I can suck them up. I filled seven recycle cans so I must have empty out the bagger at least seven times. The tractor did a fantastic job sucking them leaves up turning them into dust. I would drive over piles a foot deep and it kept sucking them up. Sears must have put the high lift blades on when they did the tone up in the spring. I just notice the tractor really sucking them leaves. Not once did it clog where the bagger chute meets the deck. I couldn't believe it. Last year it seem to clog all the time. They were dry and it was 65 degrees out. I think while we still have warm weather I may power wash the patio, driveway, and walkway.

Reactions: Bebop

·
Registered
405 Posts
I did my leaf clean up today and it took four hours. I am beat. I must have ran the blower for three hours and the tractor one hour. I blew everything out of the mulch areas where as I can suck them up. I filled seven recycle cans so I must have empty out the bagger at least seven times. The tractor did a fantastic job sucking them leaves up turning them into dust. I would drive over piles a foot deep and it kept sucking them up. Sears must have put the high lift blades on when they did the tone up in the spring. I just notice the tractor really sucking them leaves. Not once did it clog where the bagger chute meets the deck. I couldn't believe it. Last year it seem to clog all the time. They were dry and it was 65 degrees out. I think while we still have warm weather I may power wash the patio, driveway, and walkway.
My simplicity quit running i think fuel I was so looking forward to vacing leaves this year . May not be written in the stars .

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I made some decent progress on the plow setup today. Went and bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight to assist.
IMG_20201120_174100265.jpg

I pulled the spool valves out of the Evap-O-Rust and put them into a simple green solution in the ultrasonic, and it cleaned them up nicely. I also put the hydraulic couplings that I have in the ultrasonic. They are kinda rough, but they'll work for now I think.
IMG_20201120_191517978.jpg

Then I used some paint stripper to remove the remaining paint and rinsed them off and put them back in the ultrasonic.
IMG_20201120_191451638.jpg

Once they dried, I got them cleaned up and put a quick coat of paint on them. I ran out of paint so I have to pick up a can of trim black tomorrow and put one more coat on them. Then I can reassemble with new O rings.
IMG_20201120_202443173.jpg

IMG_20201120_202504249.jpg

I ordered all 4 hydraulic lines from Messicks, but they are a special order so they won't ship for a few days.

·
6,990 Posts
How do you like the results using simple green in the cleaner?....I have been using Purple power....it works pretty well

·
Premium Member
2,833 Posts
Cool, good luck with the ultrasonic!

It may not matter as much for steel, but I use purple Simple Green Pro HD in mine. It cleans carbs great, but it's supposed to be gentler on aluminum than regular Simple Green.
Simple Green 128 oz. Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner-2110000413421 - The Home Depot

It also does a great job on oily, greasy stuff. Nasty oily sawdust came right off some chainsaw parts.

I start with hot tap water, then use my cleaner's heater. I put my parts in a glass jar (not sealed) filled with cleaning solution, and the rest of the tank is filled with hot water. Both filled to the suggested level of the tank. This conserves cleaning solution, and avoids gunking up the tank.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Cool, good luck with the ultrasonic!

It may not matter as much for steel, but I use purple Simple Green Pro HD in mine. It cleans carbs great, but it's supposed to be gentler on aluminum than regular Simple Green.
Simple Green 128 oz. Pro HD Heavy-Duty Cleaner-2110000413421 - The Home Depot

It also does a great job on oily, greasy stuff. Nasty oily sawdust came right off some chainsaw parts.

I start with hot tap water, then use my cleaner's heater. I put my parts in a glass jar filled with cleaning solution, and the rest of the tank is filled with hot water. Both filled to the suggested level of the tank. This conserves cleaning solution, and avoids gunking up the tank.
Neat idea , I used to submerge food i was purserving in hot water in a separate pot to achieve heat transfer heat is funny how it will transfer .

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
How do you like the results using simple green in the cleaner?....I have been using Purple power....it works pretty well
I was impressed with it although it was the first time I've used this machine. Those hydraulic fittings were absolutely filthy before. They playing on them is in kinda poor shape but they are squeaky clean.

I just used simple green because it was what I had laying around.

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,056
That's great! In addition to it being solid and robust, of course, I like the bucket control that your setup offers. In addition to the shifted-frontwards pivot point for the bucket. Which of course lets you dump into taller items, or make bigger piles.

But having that controlled dump capability (vs my stock Swisher setup where you release a latch and gravity drops it all at once) seems pretty cool. Depending on how mine goes, I might try to incorporate something like that. And I really like the idea of moving the pivot forward, but that's likely a bigger undertaking.
Thanks. The front dump pivot really made this thing useful. I did have to do a bunch of checks before ordering my curl cylinder though. It has a 16" stroke to make it work and have enough rollback angle at the bottom and dump angle at the top. The Johnnybuckets don't need that much stroke due to their low lift height.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Rolled some brand new Deere 544 wheel loaders 70 miles through the city last night to a contract I have for snow removal for a FedEx distribution center. I've got a truck and a lowboy to move them, but that will only move one at a time. So, we rolled those babies right through the city 6 deep!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Be careful could be a rabbid fox or coyote. They roam during the day. The back of a red fox or grey fox looks like a husky.
Just below Lake Ontario here. In 4 years at my house, I have seen a coyote once. About 6:30am when I was taking my dog for his morning walk in the woods. Started walking down the path, maybe 30 feet. Turned around and saw one running across the yard where the path starts. Seemed to be a lone. Do see a fox a few times a year. Luckily they seem to already be on the run when I notice them.

There has been an occasion bobcat sighting in my county once or twice a year, but I think they may live closer to the lake where it is much much more rural. Same for bears as well. Think a few have slowly moved up north.

6041 - 6060 of 6186 Posts