My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4579 Posts

·
Administrator
17,191 Posts
Well I just cleaned out the straw in the chicken pen, so if you are doing a task that is less fun than shoveling chicken **** in the freezing rain for an hour I'll buy you a beer.
Look at the bright side... at least the cold keeps the smell down. First summer job I had 60 yrs ago was on a nearby farm. I thought it was mostly hauling and tossing bales of hay for the dairy herd. Well it was, sorta. But when there wasn't hay to harvest there were always eggs to collect from two of the three 1000 chicken coops. Why only two you ask? Cause rotating the flocks through the coops as they age (you know, when they change from layers to fryers) always left one open. which would need cleaning. And guess who got to do it? The 14 yr old with no hay to harvest. The ammonia smell made your eyes tear something fierce. And it sure cleared out your sinuses. Only other time I smelled anything that burned like that was in the service when the DI told you to take the gas mask off in the teargas training hut. But at least that was over in minutes rather than a couple of hours.
MikeC

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,151 Posts
Nothing that exciting as a car show, working on engines or out on a tractor. But have been trying to finish up a project I'm doing for my son. He bought a new tool box for his biz and didn't want the top getting all banged up so making this top for the box, which, as you can imagine, View attachment 2445827 ain't so little.
MikeC
Nice Mike!
Now you've given me some ideas. My son Tim works for Blooming Grove Stairs and he is always bringing home pieces like that for kindling for the stove. They're left over from the stair making process.
He made a TV stand for his brother from 3 slabs of black walnut he scrounged from the scrap pile. Came out real nice.

·
Administrator
17,191 Posts
Hey John, these were all sliced out of the boards that the Truck caps are shipped on. Seven/eight yrs ago they were always red or white oak, come cherry and occasional maple. As times progressed it switched over to pine.(cheaper) I had put up three stickered piles of the good stuff and they have been air drying for the past five plus years.Most of the boards are full inch thick at seven to eight and a half wide and anywhere from six to bit over eight feet long, depending on size of cap. I sliced and diced, machined and glued them into panels and then into the overall top. Ends up 30" X 12' 1/2" X 1 1/4" thick. Just like a gigantic bread board.
Bit of overkill for tool box top but when you're ORB, what else ya gonna do? BTW that's not an orb like you might see floating across the sky

It's Old, Retired and Bored!
MikeC

·
I'll never get to 10,000
5,151 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I just cleaned out the straw in the chicken pen, so if you are doing a task that is less fun than shoveling chicken **** in the freezing rain for an hour I'll buy you a beer.
Let's see. I've lifted several patients to standing with >100lbs of force and cleaned a couple of dirty behinds on incontinent folks who needed my help. Do I get a beer? :D

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Administrator- We’re all friends here
14,479 Posts
You deserve more than a beer. ?

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
You deserve more than a beer. ?
It was a particularly brutal day. I did 5 maximum assist lifts in an hour after lunch today. Hospital physical therapy can be taxing on the back.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Let's see. I've lifted several patients to standing with >100lbs of force and cleaned a couple of dirty behinds on incontinent folks who needed my help. Do I get a beer? :D
I concede, you win, hands down ? I can do a lot of things but I don't think I could do that! You can add that to the beer I owe you for the o-rings.

I am squeamish as ****. I have a hard time cleaning up after the dogs without vomiting. The chicken bedding isnt so bad because it generally doesn't smell once it's dried out, and I use a pitchfork and a wheelbarrow so I dont really have to touch anything. I still wash my clothes and take a shower afterwards though. I deep litter it, I add new straw as it gets soiled and then fully shovel it out every few months.

On the less disgusting side, Rotella grease was on sale at Tractor Supply while I was there to get another bale of straw!

20200211_192111.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I concede, you win, hands down ? I can do a lot of things but I don't think I could do that! You can add that to the beer I owe you for the o-rings.

I am squeamish as ****. I have a hard time cleaning up after the dogs without vomiting. The chicken bedding isnt so bad because it generally doesn't smell once it's dried out, and I use a pitchfork and a wheelbarrow so I dont really have to touch anything. I still wash my clothes and take a shower afterwards though. I deep litter it, I add new straw as it gets soiled and then fully shovel it out every few months.

On the less disgusting side, Rotella grease was on sale at Tractor Supply while I was there to get another bale of straw!

View attachment 2445854
That's a drop in the bucket on hospital tales. I could curl your hair with tales of "what's been on me" over the last 7.5 years of acute care. Suffice it to say anyone working in a hospital doing patient care can eat a bowl of chili sitting in a summer concert Porta-Potty lol. :D

·
Premium Member
9,027 Posts
Steve, I'd thank you for your services to humanity, but I really just want to thank you for holding back the urge to post pics...

(Mods, when are we getting our emojis back? I really need the puking one here...)

Mike

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
That's a drop in the bucket on hospital tales. I could curl your hair with tales of "what's been on me" over the last 7.5 years of acute care. Suffice it to say anyone working in a hospital doing patient care can eat a bowl of chili sitting in a summer concert Porta-Potty lol. :D
I'll take your word for it, lmao. I've got an aunt and uncle who live next door, they are both RNs. My uncle works in psychiatrics and my aunt works in geriatrics. She has ZERO filter and apparently was never taught when it is and isn't appropriate to discuss feces (or anything else disgusting for that matter). She will dive right into the dirty details in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. I can't be around her because of it. ????

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'll take your word for it, lmao. I've got an aunt and uncle who live next door, they are both RNs. My uncle works in psychiatrics and my aunt works in geriatrics. She has ZERO filter and apparently was never taught when it is and isn't appropriate to discuss feces (or anything else disgusting for that matter). She will dive right into the dirty details in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. I can't be around her because of it. ????
We get pretty accustomed to it so it doesn't phase any of us but most of us know not to talk shop with civilians lol.

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts
Would not bother me at the least if you talked shop at the table. As far as taking care of humans the wife tells me I have no empathy.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
When my wife graduated from rn nursing school I made a major mistake of giving her a bouquet of flowers in a bed pan. I thought she was going to divorce me before we even went on our honeymoon; 34 years later she occasionally still brings that up..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
When my wife graduated from rn nursing school I made a major mistake of giving her a bouquet of flowers in a bed pan. I thought she was going to divorce me before we even went on our honeymoon; 34 years later she occasionally still brings that up..:rolleyes:
Hahaha. There's a picture on the break room wall of the ICU nurses drinking beer out of a urinal at a party.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Pictures are from Sunday, cut a standing dead Honey Locust t the farm & brought it back to a local mechanic's shop where I loaf at times. Hadn't been to the farm since before my knee replacement in December:
HPIM4373.JPG

HPIM4374.JPG

HPIM4375.JPG

Went back yesterday to clear some more storm damage from last month, spend some time in the cabin & brought a Gator load of dead standing Pig Hickory back for the shop.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Pictures are from Sunday, cut a standing dead Honey Locust t the farm & brought it back to a local mechanic's shop where I loaf at times. Hadn't been to the farm since before my knee replacement in December: View attachment 2445885
View attachment 2445886

View attachment 2445887

Went back yesterday to clear some more storm damage from last month, spend some time in the cabin & brought a Gator load of dead standing Pig Hickory back for the shop.
Its tough but good to get back after it after surgery. I still have trouble squatting after my knee surgery a few months ago.

Reactions: grnspot110

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive been restoring a ken bar streaker d660. Trying to get a yard trailer for my mtd so i have more storage and a way to take people for rides. Also i am looking for an engine for my rat rod project.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Its tough but good to get back after it after surgery. I still have trouble squatting after my knee surgery a few months ago.
My dad had rotator cuff surgery on both of his shoulders 15 years ago, he still can't lift his arms above his head. You gotta move as much as you can after surgery or you get locked up. My Dad blames golfing (which is probably partially to blame) but I blame him not doing the physical therapy long enough.

41 - 60 of 4579 Posts