My Tractor Forum banner

5021 - 5040 of 5120 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
I put a shut off switch on my XT3 sleeve hitch winch today after @RedOctobyr gave me a heads up that the wireless unit draws voltage when it's off. I think that was draining the battery last winter when it was sitting more than being used. Placed it near the battery under the hood and can reach it from the seat and tied it to the breaker with a busbar. Thanks RO.

View attachment 2477369 View attachment 2477370
Oh boy, a new first step to troubleshooting!! :)

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I put a shut off switch on my XT3 sleeve hitch winch today after @RedOctobyr gave me a heads up that the wireless unit draws voltage when it's off. I think that was draining the battery last winter when it was sitting more than being used. Placed it near the battery under the hood and can reach it from the seat and tied it to the breaker with a busbar. Thanks RO.
Cool, I hope it helps this winter!

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,023
Oh boy, a new first step to troubleshooting!! :)
Hope this stops the midwinter dead battery I've been having. Also I didn't like the wire always being hot running thru the frame and no way to shut it off but the breaker.

After I finished that (And my Hogs beat Ole Miss :D) I cleaned up a pair of Cub 3000 spindles I bought off ebay. I plan to convert them to accept boat trailer hubs so I can bolt golf cart wheels to them. I already have the hubs and golf cart tires and wheels. My local cart shop gives the take off tires and wheels away for free. I plan to convert the 3240 and 3205 to bolt on wheels following @kawasaki old man - 1132 s thread here.

20201017_183033.jpg

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Hope this stops the midwinter dead battery I've been having. Also I didn't like the wire always being hot running thru the frame and no way to shut it off but the breaker.

After I finished that (And my Hogs beat Ole Miss :D) I cleaned up a pair of Cub 3000 spindles I bought off ebay. I plan to convert them to accept boat trailer hubs so I can bolt golf cart wheels to them. I already have the hubs and golf cart tires and wheels. My local cart shop gives the take off tires and wheels away for free. I plan to convert the 3240 and 3205 to bolt on wheels following @kawasaki old man - 1132 s thread here.

View attachment 2477373
I'll be watching with keen interest!

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,025
I'll be watching with keen interest!
I'll probably convert the 3240 to have the roller thrust bearings on the spindles aka "poor man's power steering" like I did the 3205 as well. It does have good easy hydraulic PS but with the loader I figure it cant hurt.

You thinking of doing your green machines?

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
I've seen mine in mud push the wheels at times instead of roll. I've taken them off and cleaned and greased them but still happens occasionally, I think they may roll easier with hubs.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,027
I've seen mine in mud push the wheels at times instead of roll. I've taken them off and cleaned and greased them but still happens occasionally, I think they may roll easier with hubs.
It'll definitely spread the load on the spindle and reduce cutting into it by the bearing better. My 3205s wheel bearings are wasted anyway. I wasn't gonna waste money on more when I wanted taller tires on it too. Bolt on is so much better.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
It'll definitely spread the load on the spindle and reduce cutting into it by the bearing better. My 3205s wheel bearings are wasted anyway. I wasn't gonna waste money on more when I wanted taller tires on it too. Bolt on is so much better.
I'll have to check out to see if the Golf Cart "custom" shop tosses there take offs out. I need to go down that way next week to set up for gas for the welder.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,029
I'll have to check out to see if the Golf Cart "custom" shop tosses there take offs out. I need to go down that way next week to set up for gas for the welder.
I hope they do. I stopped in awhile back and mine showed me a stack of mounted and dismounted tires. Told me to take all I wanted. Said they had listed them and couldn't even give them away.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I got my bucket parts painted at the beginning of the week, they'd had enough time to dry, so today I re-assembled everything. Then I wired up the winch, and eventually got to try it.

I made some winch leads to the battery with Anderson Power Pole connectors. Those are great, I've used them for a hobby. The 45A versions (which can handle more than their rated current) fit 10AWG wires. They're crimped on, so no soldering, and the connectors are genderless, making them really easy to manage. Any cable can connect to any cable.

So now the winch can be unplugged quickly, for easily removing it. I do need to figure out a spot to mount the wired controller for the winch, and also a way to manage the rope from the bucket, which you pull to dump it. I don't want to drill into the hood, but I need to add something to keep that rope from flopping around, or getting caught in the front wheels, for instance.

I put the cultivator on the back, for a bit of counterweight, and tried driving it around with 160 pounds. I was a little less nervous this time, since it's fully welded-up now. I tried scooping some random stuff at the edge of the road, but it can't really dig in (not a surprise).

Then I added a concrete block on the back, and tried scooping up some of the compost pile of old grass clippings. Not perfect, but it did OK. It was able to scoop about half a bucket, and I tried dumping it on top of the pile. But the lift height is limited, so dumping things onto a pile is a bit of a stretch. Still, it was able to do something. Lost traction at one point trying to push into the pile, but I know I need more weight on the back. And these tires are very worn.

The only meaningful hiccup was the winch cable coming off a pulley, and going sideways around that bracket, without me noticing. Now the cable has some coils in it near the end, from yanking sideways when I was lifting. I tried to straighten the cable as best I could, which at least helped. I assume you can replace the loop at the end of the cable, if I wanted to just cut off that bent section.

For now, I made a very fancy guide with a coat hanger, to help keep the cable on the pulley, even when it's loose. I may look for something better, or it occurred to me that I could 3D-print a guide.

Still, not a bad beginning.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,031
I got my bucket parts painted at the beginning of the week, they'd had enough time to dry, so today I re-assembled everything. Then I wired up the winch, and eventually got to try it.

I made some winch leads to the battery with Anderson Power Pole connectors. Those are great, I've used them for a hobby. The 45A versions (which can handle more than their rated current) fit 10AWG wires. They're crimped on, so no soldering, and the connectors are genderless, making them really easy to manage. Any cable can connect to any cable.

So now the winch can be unplugged quickly, for easily removing it. I do need to figure out a spot to mount the wired controller for the winch, and also a way to manage the rope from the bucket, which you pull to dump it. I don't want to drill into the hood, but I need to add something to keep that rope from flopping around, or getting caught in the front wheels, for instance.

I put the cultivator on the back, for a bit of counterweight, and tried driving it around with 160 pounds. I was a little less nervous this time, since it's fully welded-up now. I tried scooping some random stuff at the edge of the road, but it can't really dig in (not a surprise).

Then I added a concrete block on the back, and tried scooping up some of the compost pile of old grass clippings. Not perfect, but it did OK. It was able to scoop about half a bucket, and I tried dumping it on top of the pile. But the lift height is limited, so dumping things onto a pile is a bit of a stretch. Still, it was able to do something. Lost traction at one point trying to push into the pile, but I know I need more weight on the back. And these tires are very worn.

The only meaningful hiccup was the winch cable coming off a pulley, and going sideways around that bracket, without me noticing. Now the cable has some coils in it near the end, from yanking sideways when I was lifting. I tried to straighten the cable as best I could, which at least helped. I assume you can replace the loop at the end of the cable, if I wanted to just cut off that bent section.

For now, I made a very fancy guide with a coat hanger, to help keep the cable on the pulley, even when it's loose. I may look for something better, or it occurred to me that I could 3D-print a guide.

Still, not a bad beginning.
Congrats on getting it working. As you can see you need a LOT of ballast to do anything meaningful with a bucket. Doing a bunch of pushing in w/o a diff lock will be a challenge and I suggest filling the tires and wheel weights as well as a bunch of rear ballast.

For the videos I posted my 3240 had 200lbs of wheelweights as well as 200lbs on the hitch, using the diff lock and was still spinning both rear tires.

·
6,334 Posts
Hey RO....looks like you made a lot of progress...have you considered an electric actuator to trip and return the bucket?..I don't think it would cost much ..and it would eliminate the rope

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Forgot that the dogs have sensitive feet, so I put on their winter boots today. I also welded on a short piece of exhaust tubing to the new pup, so the exhaust would exit pointing away from the bagger tube (sold separately), which has already been a little melted, need to make a sleeve for it. And begun adding a light to the brush, to match the plow's setup.

The chargers on because I left the key on for awhile...and I think I need to check that the charging system is working...

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Congrats on getting it working. As you can see you need a LOT of ballast to do anything meaningful with a bucket. Doing a bunch of pushing in w/o a diff lock will be a challenge and I suggest filling the tires and wheel weights as well as a bunch of rear ballast.

For the videos I posted my 3240 had 200lbs of wheelweights as well as 200lbs on the hitch, using the diff lock and was still spinning both rear tires.
Oof, that's a bit ominous! Since it's 1 tractor for every use, and I don't need it for snow duty, I'm reluctant to fill the tires. Even wheel weights would be nice to avoid, if possible. I'm planning to start with just weight on the hitch, and see what that lets me do.

I'm not moving mountains, I don't need this to be Hercules. I want it to be capable, of course, but if I have to take somewhat smaller scoops, I can live with that.

I should put on the better-tread ATV tires that I got recently. But I only have 1 set of wheels, so that's a bigger pain, and if they tear up the grass or something, then I have to swap everything back again :) Wrestling the current tires on was tough, not sure if I can figure out a better approach.

I think you'd mentioned getting new tires onto the rim by standing on them?

Hey RO....looks like you made a lot of progress...have you considered an electric actuator to trip and return the bucket?..I don't think it would cost much ..and it would eliminate the rope
Thanks! I have thought about a few options for dumping the bucket. A linear actuator would certainly work, but the reasonably-priced ones (say, $40-60) are pretty slow, like 5 or 10mm/sec, or just under 1/4" or 1/2" per sec. If you need to move a few inches, that would take a while. I don't really feel like buying a $300 actuator.

I've thought about trying a "DIY" linear actuator. Apparently you can rig something up with, for instance, a drill turning a threaded rod. If I could find a good, inexpensive used 12V cordless drill (preferably with low and high gears), that could be a good starting point, running it with the winch wiring.

One challenge is the pivot location of the bucket. It's good for gravity-dumping, but not great for other considerations. I really like how Steve modified his Swisher, to move the pivot point lower, and forward. That would let you use the bucket edge more, like just angling it down a little to scrape. And would effectively increase the dump height, since the bucket wouldn't drop as far when it dumps.

But moving the pivot location would be a bigger undertaking. For now, I'll see how this goes with the rope, and then maybe explore other options. I could also replace the rope with a thin metal rod, at least I could just support that at one location, and still prevent it from dropping down towards the wheels.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,035
Oof, that's a bit ominous! Since it's 1 tractor for every use, and I don't need it for snow duty, I'm reluctant to fill the tires. Even wheel weights would be nice to avoid, if possible. I'm planning to start with just weight on the hitch, and see what that lets me do.

I'm not moving mountains, I don't need this to be Hercules. I want it to be capable, of course, but if I have to take somewhat smaller scoops, I can live with that.

I should put on the better-tread ATV tires that I got recently. But I only have 1 set of wheels, so that's a bigger pain, and if they tear up the grass or something, then I have to swap everything back again :) Wrestling the current tires on was tough, not sure if I can figure out a better approach.

I think you'd mentioned getting new tires onto the rim by standing on them?

Thanks! I have thought about a few options for dumping the bucket. A linear actuator would certainly work, but the reasonably-priced ones (say, $40-60) are pretty slow, like 5 or 10mm/sec, or just under 1/4" or 1/2" per sec. If you need to move a few inches, that would take a while. I don't really feel like buying a $300 actuator.

I've thought about trying a "DIY" linear actuator. Apparently you can rig something up with, for instance, a drill turning a threaded rod. If I could find a good, inexpensive used 12V cordless drill (preferably with low and high gears), that could be a good starting point, running it with the winch wiring.

One challenge is the pivot location of the bucket. It's good for gravity-dumping, but not great for other considerations. I really like how Steve modified his Swisher, to move the pivot point lower, and forward. That would let you use the bucket edge more, like just angling it down a little to scrape. And would effectively increase the dump height, since the bucket wouldn't drop as far when it dumps.

But moving the pivot location would be a bigger undertaking. For now, I'll see how this goes with the rope, and then maybe explore other options. I could also replace the rope with a thin metal rod, at least I could just support that at one location, and still prevent it from dropping down towards the wheels.
The easiest way to mount these tires is to spray cooking spray on the beads then push them on the rims as much as possible, stand on them and bump the bead with a rubber hammer. That got my last (very stiff) tires on in about 3-5 bumps. Then start taking small bites with a tire spoon/pry bar until they are on. 12s are easy, 8s not so much.

Hardest thing for me is initially breaking the beads loose and this made that easy. Have fun with the bucket. You may be able to ballast the hitch enough to use it effectively. Post up your ballast box/block arrangement when you get it going.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Thanks. I forgot to ask, have you needed to raise your front tire pressure, with the loader?

My Carlisle front tires say 12psi max, which is what I set them too. But yesterday at one point (with 160 lbs in the bucket), while turning on pavement, one front tire was very squashed. I thought it must have lost air, but it was still at 12 psi. I raised them to 16 psi, which helped.

But it was disconcerting to see that the max pressure was still not enough. I should verify their pressure with a second gauge, just to make sure they're really at the correct pressure.

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
RO, I think I'm running about 20 lbs in my fronts to keep from having too much "squash" with the bucket full. And even then with a really heavy bucket I go very slow turning so as to not cause them too much grief. This is where the split rear brakes really help as I can use those to limit the front end push.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,038
Thanks. I forgot to ask, have you needed to raise your front tire pressure, with the loader?

My Carlisle front tires say 12psi max, which is what I set them too. But yesterday at one point (with 160 lbs in the bucket), while turning on pavement, one front tire was very squashed. I thought it must have lost air, but it was still at 12 psi. I raised them to 16 psi, which helped.

But it was disconcerting to see that the max pressure was still not enough. I should verify their pressure with a second gauge, just to make sure they're really at the correct pressure.
I put 18x8.5-8 golf cart tires on my 3240 and have them at max pressure. They are quite a bit stiffer than turfs and 4-ply. They are rated for 825lbs each at 22psi.

Reactions: RedOctobyr

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Steve, I wonder if you could use a relay for your winch's power supply? Rig it so it's only powered when the key is on. That way, you don't have to worry about forgetting to turn off the kill switch.

Mike

Reactions: Ken22

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Thanks guys. @PA318Guy , is that beyond the rated pressure for your tires? I guess maybe I'll need to keep an eye out for different front tires.

Steve, were the golf cart tires able to go on the stock wheels?

5021 - 5040 of 5120 Posts