My Tractor Forum banner

5001 - 5020 of 5120 Posts

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,547 Posts
Thanks for the notification, Mike. Fortunately, my serial # is not among those recalled.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,002
Wow, you guys are blower buying maniacs! I wish I could make myself part with the dough but I can't make myself do it. I think it's so many years of being poor and getting by with whatever I could make work by necessity. Help!

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Steve, you sure you can't rig up some sorta hydraulic-powered blower, on the front or back of one of your machines? Or maybe put the brush hog on it's side, flip the blade upside-down , and presto, instant super-blower!

Actual question, though, how do the wheeled blowers compare? Like the Little Wonder, or that sort of thing?

A place we were renting years ago was surrounded by oak trees, we got tons of leaves. The nice neighbor saw my roommates and I all raking away for a long time, and let us borrow his wheeled blower. Wow, that things was awesome! We had to move the cars out onto the street so we didn't pelt them with acorns from it.

It may have been 5hp, but I think it was 8hp. Pull-starting it was a bit of a task, since you were also trying to get the big fan spinning. But wow, it sure moved a lot of leaves, it laughed and patted my handheld Craftsman blower on the head.

·
6,334 Posts
Those wheeled ground blowers have their place,,,,but not good for getting into gardens and tight places ...I had a GiantVac with an 8HP Wisconsin on it...it was like a hurricane...If you have a long yard that backs up to woods they are great to just push in one direction and pull all the way back, blowing the debris in the same direction...into the woods.mine had a little door on the outlet...you could blow to the left or swing the door and blow straight from that left side opening.....when blowing straight ahead it was hard to push ...not really useful for tyring to get stuff into one pile for collecting

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,005
I've actually thought of mounting a big furnace fan on my 3240 bucket and powering it off the front PTO shaft.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Those wheeled ground blowers have their place,,,,but not good for getting into gardens and tight places ...I had a GiantVac with an 8HP Wisconsin on it...it was like a hurricane...If you have a long yard that backs up to woods they are great to just push in one direction and pull all the way back, blowing the debris in the same direction...
That makes sense. We were kind of using it that way, sweeping along the length of the yard, blowing them into the trees along one side of the yard.

I've actually thought of mounting a big furnace fan on my 3240 bucket and powering it off the front PTO shaft.
That would be really cool to see!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I believe it was just the early ones that were recalled. My S/N is outside of the recall.

I really like the Echo equipment. I can't wait until the 7310sx starts to hit the shelves.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just repaired my son's Little Wonder 8hp blower this past summer ..... He uses it as mentioned here, he has woods on the side of the yard that he just blows the entire yard into. Perfect for that scenario and it's a beast.

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Thanks, Oneacer. I agree, you should take it easy with your grass. Mine was done a while ago, so hopefully I'm out of the woods and won't hurt it.

Well, I'm glad I missed the one-day sale! I definitely should buy a bigger chainsaw (something that can easily handle a 24-inch bar) before I buy a new Echo backpack blower.

As for the push blowers, one of my neighbors has one of those (Little Wonder, I believe), it's very, very impressive. But, I just saw something amazing at work the other day... A ride-on (stand-up) blower! The blower housing was easily 4-5 feet in diameter!!!!! THAT was insane!!!

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Well, got all dressed up and nowhere to go, nothing to do. We got some flakes flying around in the air, but it was barely enough for the pavement to get damp...

·
Super Moderator
3,952 Posts
I'm all dressed up too... if a fresh pair of jeans and a clean t-shirt count. Flannel shirt too, barely fifty degrees and cold rain all day.

Gals both home, Mrs. Ronin doing deskwork and the Peanut has decided to finger paint everything in sight. So that'll be Some Cleanup later on.

The fire feels good, some say it goes just fine with beer.

Steady on. 🍻

·
Registered
158 Posts
Will probably clean the garage today, rake leaves up front and maybe mow in the back. Trying to make up for lost time with the 445.

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
No snow this early is definitely a good problem to have...

Yesterday was a typical Friday for us, work and school followed by dinner out.

Rained all day and overnight, sun's out now, but it's still below 50 degrees, so nothing is drying quickly.

Heading to my parents' old house with my youngest son, trying to troubleshoot a car that won't start. Baseball for the older son this afternoon.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,238 Posts
Need to get the transmission out of the truck today and possibly on the stand. Still have jack to finish and fixture for the stand.
Metal supplier is open till noon. First in a week.

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Well, that didn't go well. Tried to charge it for an hour, no luck.

I'll try a new battery next. The car has been sitting for close to a year, and the only date I could find on the battery was hand-written, from 2011.

Pic of the little guy gunning the truck (jumping) engine. I told him to keep the needle (tach) between 1 and 2 k. I forgot to tell him to be slow and steady, so it probably sounded like a raceway to the neighbors...

Mike

20201017_104551.jpg

·
Super Moderator
31,837 Posts
Well, that didn't go well. Tried to charge it for an hour, no luck.

I'll try a new battery next. The car has been sitting for close to a year, and the only date I could find on the battery was hand-written, from 2011.

Pic of the little guy gunning the truck (jumping) engine.

Mike

View attachment 2477328
What he's really doing is winning the race! Look at that concentration!! :)

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Best comment of the month, Tim!

Mike

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
As mentioned, two Babe Ruth games this afternoon, for our 13-year-old. Black shirt team, still looking for a first win...

In the first game, they dug themselves a nice 7-run hole to try and climb out of in the first three innings. They started scoring, but couldn't stop the horrible fielding mistakes. Ultimately lost, 10-4.

My son was 0 for 2, struck out twice. He did help make an out in a dramatic rundown.

20201017_142617_exported_53803_1602973929025.jpg

Second game got off to a better start. Started with a 3-0 lead, then were losing after the fourth. Briefly got the lead back (6-5 in the top of the fifth), but fell apart in the bottom the fifth. Lost 15-10, ended early due to time limit after the sixth inning.

My son was hitless again. Got a walk, but struck out twice. No chance to advance or score when he was on base.

20201017_165046.jpg

Three games tomorrow (two for the younger guy / racecar driver, and one more Babe Ruth)...

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,020
I put a shut off switch on my XT3 sleeve hitch winch today after @RedOctobyr gave me a heads up that the wireless unit draws voltage when it's off. I think that was draining the battery last winter when it was sitting more than being used. Placed it near the battery under the hood and can reach it from the seat and tied it to the breaker with a busbar. Thanks RO.

20201017_170827.jpg
20201017_164401.jpg

5001 - 5020 of 5120 Posts