My Tractor Forum banner

4981 - 5000 of 5120 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
PLAYOFF season for the little guy started tonight (postponed from Tuesday due to rain)...

10-year-old's Red shirt (local team), playing a team with red and white shirts.

We got off to an early lead, and continued to build throughout the game, ultimately winning 12-2. Great team win, lots of good at-bats by most of the team. AND the little guy who got hit in the face last week was back in action tonight, albeit very nervous at the plate, even with a full face mask on his batting helmet now.

My son had a pretty good game. Walked in the first inning, but was forced out at second. Struck out once, then got an RBI single late in the game. Stole his way home on that one. He also pitched the last inning to close the game, striking out all three batters!

Mike

20201015_164359.jpg
20201015_180733.jpg

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Well looks like you are ready for it! Saw in our forecast that first snow may be next week.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Ugh. I guess I need to pull the snowblowers out and make sure they're greased up and ready for action. It's still early, but we had a big snowstorm at Halloween one year. So we're getting to the time that it could start.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Got the dogs of war ready to take on some snow, which is in the forecast for tomorrow. It's not expected to be much, and may not even build up enough to have to clear, but better to be ready...
View attachment 2477234
I hooked my box blade on my Case 446. Interested to see what it'll do. That snow forecast was all over the place in the last couple days. Whatever we get is guna stay.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Btw, brought home my sister's 24HP Craftsman, was not making it up hills on her property .... Pulled off the deck, thinking belt, but when I got in there, noticed years of built up and caked on grass everywhere .... Belt actually looked good, but appeared to be slipping .... Cleaned everything up, blew it all out .... Took it for a test drive on my neighbors hilly yard, went up hills no problem ... What a nice tractor .... I'll grease and lube it up, adjust the deck and deck wheels and spruce it up before I bring it back. She dodged a bullet, a no money repair.
Nice! So it was just a slipping belt? We're you able to do a before/after test yourself to confirm the difference?

Only curious because I've heard people say that hydros can lose their hill-climbing ability when they, and the oil, get hot. And that they might seem ok during a quick hill test, for instance.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why is it every time I go to pick up leaves, it is nice and calm, then when I actually start doing the work, the wind picks up, giving me a tougher job to perform.

·
Premium Member
4,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,988
Why is it every time I go to pick up leaves, it is nice and calm, then when I actually start doing the work, the wind picks up, giving me a tougher job to perform.
Oh yeah, been there. This weekend looks like my first days of leaf nightmare.

·
Registered
190 Posts
@Red,

When I arrived at her house, I fired it up from a cold sitting position in her garage. I could not even get up a small incline in her yard. I loaded it on my trailer to get it home where I had tools and room to work on it, my first thought being a bad belt, and certainly hoping it was not in the transmission.

I pulled up the manual before getting into it to see if there was anything in the troubleshooting section relevant to loss of drive traction. Low and behold, here is one entry I found:

PROBLEM ... Loss of drive
CAUSE ... Debris on steering plate (if equipped)
CORRECTION ... See "Cleaning" in the maintenance section

So I thought that's interesting .... so unloaded the tractor off the trailer, and I could not even go forward up my small incline on my driveway. Brought it down to my shop, pulled the deck off, and low and behold, tons of grass and debris not only on the steering plate, but also everywhere on the frame, pulleys, rear end, transaxle, etc.. I am sure it was never cleaned in years. Took me awhile to get in there with my hands, picks and air gun to get everything cleaned up, including a lot of packed, hard dry material. The belt actually looked good, but I did notice the engine pulley for the drive belt shiny like a mirror, and the drive belt with a slight sheen on it, the tell tale sign of a belt slipping.

After it was all clean, I zip tied up the deck linkages, and backed it out of my shop. I drove it all around my yard, and even went up my neighbors steep incline in his yard ... no problem, went up steep hills with ease.

Who would have guessed something so simple..... wish all repairs were so easy ... :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
@STEVE,

Yeah, I'll be out there as well, .... usually I use my Echo backpack for around my stone landscape around my house, and then pick up with my double bagger on my tractor, but this year I over-seeded, so I am being careful and using just my backpack to blow the front to the street, and in the rear, making a pile and using my push mower to bag and bring it to the curb. More time, but easier on the new grass over-seed, than running the rider all over the yard, squashing the new seedlings .... it never ends, thank goodness I am retired, ... lol

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Awesome! That sure beats tearing into the tranny, or looking for a replacement!

·
Premium Member
9,183 Posts
Where are you located, and when did you overseed? Just curious about how careful I need to be with my recently overseeded grass.

I waited almost four weeks before mowing, it looks pretty strong. I'll probably mow (not more frequently than) every other week for the next 6 weeks. At some point (usually Thanksgiving weekend), that'll be the last heavy-duty leaf cleanup.

Mike

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,547 Posts
Joe, you're no good. Look what you made me do.

The one day sale is today, so it was do or die. I did it. This thing is truly a beast. It was set up and ready to go at the dealer. While there I was blowing leaves in the rain. Tomorrow will be the fun day. Thanks for the sale info. (y)

My PB500 is on CL.

Here are the old and new.

1080T.JPG
1080T-2.JPG

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Super Moderator
31,838 Posts
Joe, you're no good. Look what you made me do.

The one day sale is today, so it was do or die. I did it. This thing is truly a beast. It was set up and ready to go at the dealer. While there I was blowing leaves in the rain. Tomorrow will be the fun day. Thanks for the sale info. (y)

My PB500 is on CL.

Here are the old and new.

View attachment 2477245
View attachment 2477243 View attachment 2477244
I better not look out my window and see leaves blowing in from the Northeast Al.......!!! :) Congrats on the new machine!

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,547 Posts
Thanks, Tim. I don't think it can blow quite that far, but close. :D

·
Registered
190 Posts
@mikeinri,

I am in central CT, .... I did not over-seed til the first weekend in Oct, the 4th ... I see it coming up, and don't want to put my tractor on those new sprouting seedlings, :) ... so I'll us my Echo PB 770T Backpack for the entire yard, instead of just the stoned border trim around the house and garage, thus limiting traffic on the lawn.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yeah, when I bought my Echo on sale a couple years ago, it was 100.00 off for 2 days only..... when I picked it up, the dealer had it all assembled and full tank of gas ... great service and attitude. What a great addition it was to my equipment... :) .....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had the electronic throttle control sensor come on for my Jeep Patriot yesterday. Dropped it off at a local dealer last night. I ended up buying the extended warranty as the job I had at the time required a lot of driving. Think I put about 30k on the first 2 years..have only put on 30k in the past 3 years. It was covered under warranty. It was a really smooth process and good communication with the deal. Not even the dealer bought it from.

First time for everything I guess.

·
Administrator
17,232 Posts
Al, Joe and any other 8010T owners. Just want to make sure you are aware of a recall affecting those machines. Found it while I am considering replacing an older Stihl. Recall Information
MikeC

4981 - 5000 of 5120 Posts