My Tractor Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 4498 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great Googley Moogley!!!!!

Just noticed that the spings on my trailer must be getting tired.

Yes, those cuts in the treads on those fairly new tires line up exactly with the fenders...

I've had a LOT more weight on this trailer in the past (taller stacks of oak), don't ever recall seeing this.

Mike

View attachment 2473474 View attachment 2473475 View attachment 2473476 View attachment 2473477
I believe this is a version of siping - you should be fine. Might improve your trailer handling ;)

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Especially in the high-speed turns, right???

I just looked under the trailer, no obvious signs of anything broken.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
...used the GS6500 to move the boat trailer around the yard.

Needed to remove the boat to get a better look at the trailer, and I'm glad I did. What looked like just one broken weld on a spring mount turned out to be a bigger mess, both fenders are hanging on by a string (20% or less of the original welds are broken).
Called and left a message for the welder, hope to get this to him tomorrow.

In the meantime, I took an even closer look at this .

The axle is crooked, because it has two different springs. One is newer and has 3 leaves, the older one has 2. They have two different diameter mounting bolts. But, the reason the axle is crooked is because the distance from the front mounting bolt to the spring center bolt (where the axle mounts) is different between the two springs...

Took a deeper look at the fenders, and they're worse than I'd thought. Fortunately, each has a center bracket that appears to be intact and is pretty beefy. However, both fenders have broken front and rear welds. One fender is hanging on by a small part of one weld, the other has both of those welds broken 100%.

Not my week for trailers, I guess...

Mike

·
Registered
737 Posts
OK, let's cool down some guys. This site is all about tackling issues and helping one another. There is a ton of experience on here and different levels of capability, don't choose to do something that you feel can't be accomplished safely.
I couldn't agree more. I'd be more than willing to help somebody do something that I felt I could actually "talk through" competently and safely.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
The difference is, if a trailer repair tech was installing an overhead door I'd say........No, wait, I wouldn't say a thing, because I'm not a trailer repair guy, and I have no freaking idea how trailer doors work, and I wouldn't pretend to. That's the actual difference. The steps can't just be listed, and have somebody comprehend them. Or, maybe I'm not a good enough person to be able to list the steps and get my point across correctly.
The doors are not all that much different. Cables need to be adjusted correctly on the drum for both. Can be adjusted with the same type tool. Door must go up and down. Not sure what's different. Have done both. But more residential than trailer.

·
5,857 Posts
There are some obvious differences of opinions on the matter...there is really no need to discuss it any further...in the interest of keeping this interesting and long lived thread going, and a civil forum let's just all agree to disagree and end discussing this subject..there are a lot of other interesting topics to keep us all friendly and engaged

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
My son's team lost 8-3 last night (with only 8 kids at one point due to a scheduling conflict with school orientation, plus my son was quarantining awaiting his covid test results).

Tonight, they fought a tough battle, rallied back in the sixth, but lost 5-4.

My son pitched two innings, got 5 strikeouts. Made a few uncharacteristic errors in the field. At the plate, he grounded out in the first, later got two hits, stole some bases and scored two runs.

They're 0-3 already for the season, but definitely had a much better game tonight.

Mike

20200915_181228.jpg

Reactions: Brad

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
Sometimes it takes a team a while to get everyone on the same page. Glad to hear they're improving and I'm sure we'll have some good news soon on the baseball field!

3,088 Posts
A man was doing some DIY work on his gas stove

When it all of a sudden blew up and sent him flying through his roof and up into the sky.
On his way up he passed a man falling down from the sky and asked him: “Hey, you know anything about gas stoves?”
The guy falling responded, “Nope, you know anything about parachutes?”

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Can air still go in? Looks tight from here.

Alternated between Some Deskwork and mowing... not bad at all under cloudy and cooler skies.

Starting to look like Fall.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Took a half day yesterday. Tree company came around lunch with the stump grinder and ate 33 stumps in about 4.5 hours. I continued to scrape paint on exterior window trim. Took the JD out into the field to cut the trails and came back and found antifreeze had been leaking out. Have too much house work to get done before it’s too cold to continue so that’ll have to wait until a month,

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Took delivery of these bad boys today. The boys (my kids) don't know what they have coming (for workload), LOL...

This will allow me to get my shed and garage reorganized and under control, and empty enough so I can fix the garage doors.

We might also use these to at least start reorganizing the basement, which will ultimately help with overall house.

Our problem is, too much stuff on the floors, and piled up from there (in the shed, basement and garage). Most of it is useful, we just need to empty the spaces, get racks installed, and store things properly.

Obviously, a bunch of stuff will be going away (mostly stuff from when the kids were very young).

Mike

20200916_103604.jpg

3,088 Posts
Oh my, Mike you got some storage.

I have a question about garages maybe someone can help me since the subject came up. I have a craftsman garage door opener and two remotes. One of the remotes works half the time. Do those have batteries in them? I'm thinking of just buying another remote. Will that work?

·
5,857 Posts
I have a Craftsman opener with 2 remotes ...it has to be over 20 years old...I had to buy a new key pad about 5 years ago...the 9V battery connector got messed up about 15 years ago...I soldered in a new one from Radio Shack, and it lasted for about 10 years and when I treid to replace it ...it kind of fell apart when I opened it up...there has to be something inside the remotes to provide power....like one of those button batteries...they do last....try to pry it apart....if it is already not working there is nothing to lose...just check to see if a replacement is available first

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,159
Oh my, Mike you got some storage.

I have a question about garages maybe someone can help me since the subject came up. I have a craftsman garage door opener and two remotes. One of the remotes works half the time. Do those have batteries in them? I'm thinking of just buying another remote. Will that work?
My remotes have batteries. One style has 9v and my mini openers have a small odd A23 battery

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Yes, unless wired in, they all have batteries. Should be replaceable.

My Genies have A23s in the car remotes, 9v on the outdoor panel. The indoor switches are hard wired (no batteries).

New remotes aren't terribly expensive. You do need to teach the unit to recognize the signal (probably need your manual for that, which should also tell you about the batteries, assuming the remotes are original).

Mike

4141 - 4160 of 4498 Posts