My Tractor Forum banner

4121 - 4140 of 4498 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,121
I worked for, and had my own overhead door business for 15 years. I don't care what other people in this thread have said, and worked on tractor trailer doors or whatever. You need 2 springs, 2 winding cones, 2 stationary cones, and two 3/8" winding bars to do this job. You'll probably also need a spring gauge reader, and a conversion chart to tell you what other springs can be used if the ones you originally had aren't available. Before putting the new springs on, you'll have to "kill" the other spring that still has full tension on it. Then you'll have to remove the entire shaft and drums, put the new springs on the new winding and stationary cones on, and then put the whole shaft assembly back in place prior to winding the springs. And prior to winding the new springs, you'll have to know how to wind the cables on the drums, and then put a vice grips on the shaft to hold it with the tension on the cables, etc, etc... Call a professional to have the job done right. It'll cost you about 300.00, but it will be done correctly, and you won't be injured. And in overhead door vernacular, an "operator" is actually the "opener", and has nothing to do with the overhead door itself, other than opening it.
What's sad about this post is that you do have experience and choose to take the condescending and fear-mongering path. The name of this thread is "What are you doing today?" It fits in the mindset of this forum which is primarily a DIY crowd.

If you don't feel safe performing a task then by all means pay someone to do it. If you want to help out then please do. This post is not helpful.

Here's a real professional overhead door installation company owner letting his 5" 4" 115lb wife wrap the tension on a torsion spring.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
I was waiting to see her go flying but she held her own!! :) All great and wonderful but you have to have a lot of things done before you wind the springs!!

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,123
I was waiting to see her go flying but she held her own!! :) All great and wonderful but you have to have a lot of things done before you wind the springs!!
That's correct. I have done all those things and feel safe doing them again. Making it sound like it's an impossible task or too dangerous to do youself is what I take issue with. I ordered my parts last night. .225" coil diameter, 24.5" long, 2" diameter spring set and 2 bearings. Total cost $63.

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts
I agree, can be done. My old springs used to set me back about 60 apiece if I remember correctly, to me the worst was pulling the springs off and replacing them. Once they were on no biggie to wind them up. I probably won't be doing it anymore, now if I just had a 5'4" 114 lbs assistant like her then maybe I'd try it! :)

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
Just get the new adjusters with worm drives. No need for the adjusting bars. Just a reverseable drill and socket.
I also find it amusing what some people need professionals for. I am continuesly fixing their work.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
@mikeinri,

How do you like the tow behind Brinly Core Plug Aerator?

I just bought there De-Thatcher, and really like it ... I also have a Craftsman tow behind Spiker, and like that as well ... I am considering getting the Brinly Core Plug Aerator like you have.
I absolutely love it, way overbought (well, it's actually built properly compared to some other items I've owned).

The only thing I don't like is that if (OK, when) you hit something vertical (ahem, my house foundation) with a wheel, it bends the arm, which requires removing a million bolts (all the spoons have to come off) to replace the bent part (or get it into a vice to straighten). Since the wheels are rarely used, I haven't bothered, but it bugs me knowing that part is bent.

I don't know if the spikers really accomplish anything, but that's based on what I've read, I've never tried one.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Well, I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I don't think the pine has termites. That's the potential good news.

The bad news is, there are at least two other things eating the wood...

One appears to be a beetle (has legs), hopefully not the Southern Pine Beetle, which has recently been found in MA and is very bad news.

The other is larvae of something bigger, with giant chompers. That appears to be the Pine Sawyer Beetle, but could be anything, I suppose.

I plan to keep my trailer out of the yard until I have a day to cut and split the wood. I'll debark and throw anything suspect into the fire pit. I'm hoping that these things aren't deep into the wood, and don't attack other trees in my yard before I can process the wood and kill them.

First pic is the cambium, second is the bark removed from there. This is one of the pieces where I heard the "creaking" sound. Looks like this piece has been lunch for quite a while...

Mike

20200915_113743.jpg
20200915_113747.jpg

·
Registered
737 Posts
What's sad about this post is that you do have experience and choose to take the condescending and fear-mongering path. The name of this thread is "What are you doing today?" It fits in the mindset of this forum which is primarily a DIY crowd.

If you don't feel safe performing a task then by all means pay someone to do it. If you want to help out then please do. This post is not helpful.

Here's a real professional overhead door installation company owner letting his 5" 4" 115lb wife wrap the tension on a torsion spring.

My intent isn't to be condescending or fear mongering. My intent was/is to let people know that this is not a job that just any weekend warrior should tackle. CAN it be done? Yes. Should it be done by just anybody? No, not necessarily. Yes, the actual winding of the spring can be done by a 5'-4" woman, as long as steps 1-8 have been done correctly, and everything will be fine. I don't really care if YOU don't think my post was helpful. To me, it's been helpful if somebody who's on the fence about taking on this task decides that maybe they'd be better off tackling another job if they're not confident with this one, and they stay safe. What WAS condescending (and misleading) was saying that "a 5'-4" 115lb. woman can do it" Did that video show HER doing all of the previous (crucial) steps? No, it just showed her finishing up what he'd already had to 98% completion. Yes, a woman could do the job, but only if trained correctly. It's not about size and brute strength, it's about doing each step correctly. There's a reason why the workman's compensation insurance in the industry is so high. "Fear mongering" would have been to tell everybody about the injuries I've seen, like broken orbital bones and jaws. The torn biceps and rotator cuffs etc....Is it "fear mongering" when you tell a 2 year old not to touch the hot stove because he'll burn himself? I call that trying too look out for someone's best interests. So, if my post offended you (and apparently it did), I really don't care. My intent is to make somebody who's considering doing this job, actually think about it before just jumping in half-cocked.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Great Googley Moogley!!!!!

Just noticed that the spings on my trailer must be getting tired.

Yes, those cuts in the treads on those fairly new tires line up exactly with the fenders...

I've had a LOT more weight on this trailer in the past (taller stacks of oak), don't ever recall seeing this.

Mike

20200915_131410.jpg
20200915_131544.jpg
20200915_131427.jpg
20200915_131519.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,132
My intent isn't to be condescending or fear mongering. My intent was/is to let people know that this is not a job that just any weekend warrior should tackle. CAN it be done? Yes. Should it be done by just anybody? No, not necessarily. Yes, the actual winding of the spring can be done by a 5'-4" woman, as long as steps 1-8 have been done correctly, and everything will be fine. I don't really care if YOU don't think my post was helpful. To me, it's been helpful if somebody who's on the fence about taking on this task decides that maybe they'd be better off tackling another job if they're not confident with this one, and they stay safe. What WAS condescending (and misleading) was saying that "a 5'-4" 115lb. woman can do it" Did that video show HER doing all of the previous (crucial) steps? No, it just showed her finishing up what he'd already had to 98% completion. Yes, a woman could do the job, but only if trained correctly. It's not about size and brute strength, it's about doing each step correctly. There's a reason why the workman's compensation insurance in the industry is so high. "Fear mongering" would have been to tell everybody about the injuries I've seen, like broken orbital bones and jaws. The torn biceps and rotator cuffs etc....Is it "fear mongering" when you tell a 2 year old not to touch the hot stove because he'll burn himself? I call that trying too look out for someone's best interests. So, if my post offended you (and apparently it did), I really don't care. My intent is to make somebody who's considering doing this job, actually think about it before just jumping in half-cocked.
I stand by my statement. Condecending, fear mongering, and not helpful. Not to mention--not very friendly. If you do intend to be helpful then post the steps to doing this safely.

If a garage door installer was installing a trailer roll up door I'd say "This is how they are different. If you need help let me know. " That is what I call being helpful.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I stand by my statement. Condecending, fear mongering, and not helpful. Not to mention--not very friendly. If you do intend to be helpful then post the steps to doing this safely.

If a garage door installer was installing a trailer roll up door I'd say "This is how they are different. If you need help let me know. " That is what I call being helpful.
The difference is, if a trailer repair tech was installing an overhead door I'd say........No, wait, I wouldn't say a thing, because I'm not a trailer repair guy, and I have no freaking idea how trailer doors work, and I wouldn't pretend to. That's the actual difference. The steps can't just be listed, and have somebody comprehend them. Or, maybe I'm not a good enough person to be able to list the steps and get my point across correctly.

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Great Googley Moogley!!!!!

Just noticed that the spings on my trailer must be getting tired.

Yes, those cuts in the treads on those fairly new tires line up exactly with the fenders...

I've had a LOT more weight on this trailer in the past (taller stacks of oak), don't ever recall seeing this.

Mike
Yikes, good luck! I hope the springs aren't broken or something. That sucks if it also destroyed the tire(s). Just glad no bigger damage happened, like a sudden failure while driving.

Though, look on the bright side, currently you have the rarely-seen Structural Fenders.

·
Premium Member
4,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,136
Have heard all the safety stuff before it's like don't fall asleep you may not wake up. But if your a Clutts don't do it. We should all by now know what we are capable of doing.
Yep. I trust grown men to do what they feel capable of and try to help when able.

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
Time for wider fenders also the way it looks.
@mike,

Bigger shackles, wider fenders, and don't load it so heavy /// :)
Yikes, good luck! I hope the springs aren't broken or something. That sucks if it also destroyed the tire(s). Just glad no bigger damage happened, like a sudden failure while driving.

Though, look on the bright side, currently you have the rarely-seen Structural Fenders.
Ha! Always looking for a bright side, like maybe this is the right time to finally sell this thing and upsize...

I think the tires are fine, I caught this after driving locally, probably less than 10 miles. I'll take a look at the springs, and try to pay more attention when loading in the future...

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,996 Posts
One piece of OUTSTANDING news today, we heard from the lab that our little guy is NEGATIVE for covid!!!

He's feeling a lot better, but is still a little congested. No more fever (since at least last Friday). He plans to play in tonight's game, and his first day of school is Thursday.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
31,041 Posts

OK, let's cool down some guys. This site is all about tackling issues and helping one another. There is a ton of experience on here and different levels of capability, don't choose to do something that you feel can't be accomplished safely.

4121 - 4140 of 4498 Posts